OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Probably already better than Porcello.

I saw him in Binghamton last year. He looked really good. I know his xFIP was sub-3.00 last season, and he increased his K-rate, which is great for moving up to AA. His stuff isn't great but he gets a lot of ground balls. He's a fastball/slider/change-up guy. I saw him hit 95 with sink, but he was usually 91-92 which is in line with what the scouts said.

Eager to see him pitch.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad to see the Mets are getting some better BABIP luck after a tough start.

Alonso looks brutal. He's a video game hitter right now--throw him high fastballs and sliders that break off the plate and he'll swing through everything. I know he'll get back on track, but it's always tough watching sluggers when they're struggling. They look sooo bad.

Heck of a debut by the young man Peterson. I know Boston is scuffling, but still. Not an easy team to make your first start against.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At what point will Betances be able to throw above 94? If he's going to sit at 94, he's a mop-up guy and not a high-leverage guy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
At what point will Betances be able to throw above 94? If he's going to sit at 94, he's a mop-up guy and not a high-leverage guy.

Hes always taken a while to get going in the velocity department. He literally sat 90-92 for the entirety of spring training one year but was at his usual 97-100 by the end of April.

It's a bit worrisome because of the achilles injury, but give him time.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Glad to see the Mets are getting some better BABIP luck after a tough start.

Alonso looks brutal. He's a video game hitter right now--throw him high fastballs and sliders that break off the plate and he'll swing through everything. I know he'll get back on track, but it's always tough watching sluggers when they're struggling. They look sooo bad.

Heck of a debut by the young man Peterson. I know Boston is scuffling, but still. Not an easy team to make your first start against.

Yah...starting to get some warm and fuzzies for our Metsies. The lineup is so good, that we can withstand an Alonso slump which is huge!. Not worried about him either as he'll start raking soon enough. Impressed as well with Peterson. That strikeout of JD Martinez with a cutter at that crucial moment in I believe the 5th inning when the Sox had bases loaded and down just 5-2, was bigtime.

As I said, I have no worried whatsoever that the Mets are going to hit. But if Mets can somehow whether the storm and loss of Stralman with guys like Peterson and Wacha pitching good, this bodes very well for our making the post season when all is said and done.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Radar gun has to be screwy. 100-100-101 consecutive fastballs from DeGrom and then a 94mph slider?

Reactions: nyr2k2

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Piss poor loss for the Metsies tonight. We should have won but couldn't get clutch hits even with tons of guys in scoring position. With just a 60 game season losses like tonight sting 3x's more than normal. Can't have too many more of these losses that should have been wins otherwise even with the expanded playoffs, we might be on the outsides looking in.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Piss poor loss for the Metsies tonight. We should have won but couldn't get clutch hits even with tons of guys in scoring position. With just a 60 game season losses like tonight sting 3x's more than normal. Can't have too many more of these losses that should have been wins otherwise even with the expanded playoffs, we might be on the outsides looking in.
Yeah it sucked. At least they're getting hits, though. Situational hitting is probably never going to be this team's strong suit, and once guys like Alonso and Cespedes really get going I think we'll be good to go.

The other thing is--I posed it the other day--last year the 8th, 9th, and 10th teams in the AL all had sub-.500 records; one in the NL was above .500, the Cubs were .500 exactly, and the other was sub-.500. So, in a normal season, anyway, .500 gets you into the top 8 or very close. In a shortened season with eight teams from each league, it could be that you need to be 34-26 or it could be that 28-32 gets you in. So as long as we hang around .500 while the bats wake up and while Stroman hopefully gets healthy, I think we're in a good spot to make the postseason.

With 8 teams making it, it's like the NHL used to be where more than half the teams make it from each league/conference. So basically you just have to not be bad to make it.

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad