OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Baseball spent the shutdown arguing who was going to eat the financial losses, with very little thought going into planning for how to safely resume. They ignore how European soccer leagues restarted, how the NBA and NHL planned a bubble, and every other recommendation while spending their energy just trying to f*** each other out of money.

That baseball is called America's past time is just a *chef's kiss* on this whole thing. Perfect analogy.

MLB has always had a weird sense of exceptionalism, because baseball is "America's Pastime."

They present themselves as a wholesome sport, American as apple pie, when in reality, cheating is rampant.

Arrogance and incompetence led the MLB to believe they don't need a bubble, and here we are today. Meanwhile, the NHL just revealed no players have tested positive as Phase 3 ends. Perhaps if the MLB took pointers from some of the "lesser" sports leagues, they wouldn't have to cancel games and potentially pause the season.

Reactions: McSauer and Cassano

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

mlb taking the same approach to the situation as the majority of the country

giphy.gif

Reactions: 17futurecap

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Not directing this at you, but this attitude is a microcosm of so many on this issue.

As if the choices are cancel life, or live life. Then when the proper plan isn't executed (or really any plan), get all huffy with the "it's a fact of life!! it's gonna happen. gotta walk it off"

There is a huge middle ground. There's so many things to do to mitigate risk that don't stop you from living or playing.

This is such a proudly stupid take by MLB.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Not directing this at you, but this attitude is a microcosm of so many on this issue.

As if the choices are cancel life, or live life. Then when the proper plan isn't executed (or really any plan), get all huffy with the "it's a fact of life!! it's gonna happen. gotta walk it off"

There is a huge middle ground. There's so many things to do to mitigate risk that don't stop you from living or playing.

This is such a proudly stupid take by MLB.

The, we expected this to happen quote is brutal. So you expected this to happen, but your protocols were absolute shit, and had a team decide they should play yesterday.

It's also gotten swept under the rug a bit because it wasn't as big of an outbreak as the Marlins, but the Reds had Davidson test positive, then yesterday put Moose on the DL and scratched Senzel because he wasn't feeling well.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
How is it that MLB is only testing teams every other day? The NHL is bubbled and still testing daily. 48 hours between tests when they're traveling constantly in and out of hot beds is insanity.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
How is it that MLB is only testing teams every other day? The NHL is bubbled and still testing daily. 48 hours between tests when they're traveling constantly in and out of hot beds is insanity.
There were even reports that players were tested before results of the PRIOR test were known.

Like...how dumb is that?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Other than this covid crap going on which is very disturbing and makes me feel the season is on the brink, the Mets finally broke out the lumber tonight as Alonso, Conforto and Dom Smith hit some bombs and Wacha was quite impressive tonight and we beat up on the Red Sox for a nice W which helps get rid of the stink of the last two games vs the Braves.

I hope it doesn't come to this but I would not be adverse to Lugo being the official closer and Diaz setting him up. I know it's very early tho and I may be jumping the gun here but I gotta be honest...I feel 10x's more confident when Lugo comes into the game in a closing situation than I do Diaz. Believe me I wish I didn't feel this way but I do. I have to believe I'm not the only one who thinks this as well. This is an abbreviated season and so games are 3 x's more important and we simply cannot afford to have blown saves in the 9th inning like what occurred Saturday.

If I'm Rojas, I give Diaz one more chance and if he comes thru...great keep him as closer. But one more blown save, I give Lugo the gig and that's that.

Anyone here think I'm going overboard here or you agree?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yes, which is why taking tests without getting previous results isn't great.

in terms of wasting test maybe, but you almost need to do that to minimize the delay. if it takes 2 days by the time you get a negative test, you could have it. they should be testing every day so even with the 2 day delay, each day you get the results from a test to minimize the lag between having it and finding out the results.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
in terms of wasting test maybe, but you almost need to do that to minimize the delay. if it takes 2 days by the time you get a negative test, you could have it. they should be testing every day so even with the 2 day delay, each day you get the results from a test to minimize the lag between having it and finding out the results.
But with testing only every other day + the 48 hr lag, players can go 3-4 days with it unknowingly before their result comes back positive. Daily testing would lead to 2 day delay max, and if you can shorten the results period you can even minimize that as well.

MLB should be testing players daily, no excuse not to. Every day counts with catching this thing early in a lockerroom so it doesn't spread, or only spreads to 1 other person and then you catch that guy 24 hours later before he can spread it further. 48 hrs between tests is foolish beyond my understanding.

No hub cities, teams playing in hot spots, lots of travel, players policing themselves, testing only every other day....recipe for a canceled season

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Other than this covid crap going on which is very disturbing and makes me feel the season is on the brink, the Mets finally broke out the lumber tonight as Alonso, Conforto and Dom Smith hit some bombs and Wacha was quite impressive tonight and we beat up on the Red Sox for a nice W which helps get rid of the stink of the last two games vs the Braves.

I hope it doesn't come to this but I would not be adverse to Lugo being the official closer and Diaz setting him up. I know it's very early tho and I may be jumping the gun here but I gotta be honest...I feel 10x's more confident when Lugo comes into the game in a closing situation than I do Diaz. Believe me I wish I didn't feel this way but I do. I have to believe I'm not the only one who thinks this as well. This is an abbreviated season and so games are 3 x's more important and we simply cannot afford to have blown saves in the 9th inning like what occurred Saturday.

If I'm Rojas, I give Diaz one more chance and if he comes thru...great keep him as closer. But one more blown save, I give Lugo the gig and that's that.

Anyone here think I'm going overboard here or you agree?
I'm conflicted. It's a short season that I think is stupid, so I was hoping we could use this as an opportunity to build up Diaz's confidence and value. At the same time, it's a stupid short season and anything can happen, so we can't afford to blow games. Given that, I'd go with Lugo, who I am confident could do the job.

I just desperately want Diaz to turn it around so that we can find some positive in that disaster of a trade.

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad