OT: MLB Thread XLII: OCTOBER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Are you kidding me? We went from best possible outcome to worst.

Though, Greinke is entirely beatable, Verlander (as we saw last night) is not the toughest. Cole is the wildcard.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
In 7 playoff series, Sanchez has a batting average of .182. That is simply atrocious. The idea of sending this guy packing is becoming more appealing by the day.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Games like last night can be an absolute mental breaker. It's why I prefer losing games by like a few runs.

I doubt that the way game two went will have any effect on how either team performs "mentally" in game three. We've seen time after time again where momentum just doesn't hold up from game to game in baseball. If the Yanks lose game three it will be because Cole pitched light outs and the Yankees pitching couldn't match, not because of the walk off in game two.

I don't think that we're any better. We faced a much easier pitching staff than they did.

While I understand why people would think this, mainly due to relief pitchers being so volatile thus names not being known, but this is selling the back of the Astros bullpen very short.

I mean, just for example, in last nights game:
Astros BP arms that came in after Verlander cumulative WAR for 2019 = 6.7 and avg ERA+ = 209
Yanks BP arms Kahnle onward cumulative WAR for 2019 = 6.4 and avg ERA+ = 140.

The trio of CC, Loasiga, and Happ didn't garner much positive vibes that they were going to keep that game going.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I doubt that the way game two went will have any effect on how either team performs "mentally" in game three. We've seen time after time again where momentum just doesn't hold up from game to game in baseball. If the Yanks lose game three it will be because Cole pitched light outs and the Yankees pitching couldn't match, not because of the walk off in game two.

While I understand why people would think this, mainly due to relief pitchers being so volatile thus names not being known, but this is selling the back of the Astros bullpen very short.

I mean, just for example, in last nights game:
Astros BP arms that came in after Verlander cumulative WAR for 2019 = 6.7 and avg ERA+ = 209
Yanks BP arms Kahnle onward cumulative WAR for 2019 = 6.4 and avg ERA+ = 140.

The trio of CC, Loasiga, and Happ didn't garner much positive vibes that they were going to keep that game going.
I meant in the sense that the TB staff had the best era in the AL. Minnesota not so much. Helps to explain Houston's lack of offense so far.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I meant in the sense that the TB staff had the best era in the AL. Minnesota not so much. Helps to explain Houston's lack of offense so far.

Ah my bad, I thought you just meant in this series and essentially the bullpens because, obviously, the Astros have the better starting rotation. Yeah, Yankees had a huge advantage offensively in the first round having to face the Twins' pitching vice the Rays'.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Let the rain out happen.

I want to hang a big fat L on each of their big 3. Especially that smug hypocrite verlander
You're right.

And the more I think about it, a rainout might be better because then they go Greinke-JV-Cole for Games 4-5-6 and then none of them will be available for a potential Game 7, should it get there.

Although either way, it likely ends up being a wash :dunno:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You're right.

And the more I think about it, a rainout might be better because then they go Greinke-JV-Cole for Games 4-5-6 and then none of them will be available for a potential Game 7, should it get there.

Although either way, it likely ends up being a wash :dunno:

If Verlander starts game 5 I guarantee you we'll see him out of the pen in game 7.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Red Sox are going to do better against him because they have higher average, less swing and miss guys in their lineup. Our GM prefers home run or bust guys like Encarnacion.
And Gary. Gary 100% deserves to be in there with Encarnacion and Stanton.

He's hit .232 and .186 the last two seasons with 219 strikeouts in season + change worth of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->