OT: MLB Thread XLII: OCTOBER

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They are good. 2nd best ERA in baseball.
But they barely worked them. I don't have the pitch counts in front of me but they barely broke a sweat. Chapman is good too but he threw almost 25 pitches???

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Cole has even nastier stuff than Verlander. We had a chance to give ourselves some breathing room if we lose to him. Now we're in trouble.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's a walk off but seriously there's no need to carry on like Correa did. If that was one of our players I'd be disappointed.
Against this team, I wouldn't.

I was hoping for Judge to take his shirt off and throw it at Verlander.

Seriously, f*** this team.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Yankees pen was great tonight.

7.2 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 4 walks, 11 strikeouts, sucks the two runs were homers, but that's the kind of performance we will need in game 4, where we don't have a starter.

Hopefully Severino can get 5 innings in on Tuesday.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Astros are Manchester City. They act like they're God's gift to the sport but then you look at the trophy cabinet and you're like

giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yankees lost a golden opportunity to take a 2-0 lead in this series facing Cole in game 3. Let's hope it ends up not mattering.
They still need at least one win in a game Verlander or Cole starts. That hasn't changed.

Winning game 1 didn't put us ahead in the series as much as it kept us in the series.

The one positive is that Verlander looked hittable and we would have had more if Encarnacion and Sanchez weren't minor leaguers.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
They still need at least one win in a game Verlander or Cole starts. That hasn't changed.

Winning game 1 didn't put us ahead in the series as much as it kept us in the series.

The one positive is that Verlander looked hittable and we would have had more if Encarnacion and Sanchez weren't minor leaguers.

If they can do this again, and with a little luck from the BABIP Gods, hopefully it goes better.

Reactions: Machinehead

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Sucks that Gary and Edwin have been worse than useless, but it's unreasonable to expect every single player I'm your line up to hit at the same time. If anything Houston has been even worse ... They left twice as many men on base yesterday

I'm a little worried about Tuesday... Severino is a bit of unknown commodity in the playoffs and Cole has been a monster. That game has high potential to be over in the first 3 innings

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Couple of things:

* Offense was doing fine vs Verlander, but died vs their BP.
* Boone always gambles when going into his BP, and this time it didn't pay off (went too early after Green and subsequent pitchers)
* All off our pitchers, sans Green and Chapman, had wildly awful control...very weird
* Something needs to happen with the 4-5-6 spot because right now it is awful and pretty much an instant 3 outs for the Astros. At least Gardner can somewhat work a count.
* Can we research the same magnet technology that Minute Maid Park has that pulls these base hits right into the gloves of the Astros' infielders?

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
At some point I hope Cashman stops obtaining .230 power hitters like Encarnacion. Eventually in the playoffs you are going to have to hit good pitching to win a championship. I have not seen much from most of this lineup to suggest that they can.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's super frustrating because going into this game, it seemed like a 1-1 split was the likely outcome out of Houston before coming back to YS.

But...that game ended up being more winnable than it should have been, and they didn't capitalize, which makes it annoying af. There were stretches of last night where the possibility of coming home up 2-0 were very real.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This loss in theory was automatic with Paxton v.s. Verlander and our bullpen being used a little to early in game 1 but I really just want to see a team that can hit outside of their top 3.

Encarnacion went down swinging on a clean 3 strikes, what, 3 times last night?

Gary Sanchez don't even get me f***ing started

Gardner at least runs up pitch counts but that means f***all against a 140 pitch a game guy like Verlander

These problems seem very familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad