OT: MLB Thread - Part XVIII: Home Stretch for Yanks. Coup de Grâce for Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While I'm continuing, did you know Mike Mussina is 53rd all-time in WAR?

Not for starting pitchers, not for right-handed pitchers, not for pitchers. 53rd. Period. Everyone ever.

He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
While I'm continuing, did you know Mike Mussina is 53rd all-time in WAR?

Not for starting pitchers, not for right-handed pitchers, not for pitchers. 53rd. Period. Everyone ever.

He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

fascinating stuff, he was very good, one of the only pitchers to ever work out on a long term deal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Moose joined the Yankees a year too late and left a year too soon.

Had Moose pitched in Atlanta instead of Baltimore to start his career, he'd be in the hall of fame already. He was better than Glavine and Smoltz.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But not Maddox. Smoltz and Glavine got the hype IIRC but Maddox was the gem of that rotation

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Maddux received more HOF votes than Glavine and they were inducted in the same year (the media votes for this.) If they painted Glavine as the #1 while they played, they wised up about that when it was time to vote :laugh:

Its amazing that they only won 1 WS considering that they rolled out 3 HOF pitchers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone give me a reason why Harvey deserves another start this season. I'd rather Flexen take his starts.

The young players are playing well recently, which is nice, and we continue to lose, which is also nice. Need that high draft pick.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Maddux received more HOF votes than Glavine and they were inducted in the same year (the media votes for this.) If they painted Glavine as the #1 while they played, they wised up about that when it was time to vote :laugh:

Its amazing that they only won 1 WS considering that they rolled out 3 HOF pitchers.
And the Yankees won 8 straight WS games vs them including the deciding game against Maddux in 96 and Smoltz in 99. Unreal

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Moose joined the Yankees a year too late and left a year too soon.

Had Moose pitched in Atlanta instead of Baltimore to start his career, he'd be in the hall of fame already. He was better than Glavine and Smoltz.

Mussina was extremely underrated throughout his entire career and after his career. He's a HOF worthy pitcher in my opinion.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Someone give me a reason why Harvey deserves another start this season. I'd rather Flexen take his starts.

The young players are playing well recently, which is nice, and we continue to lose, which is also nice. Need that high draft pick.

He totally doesn't deserve another start. He's been ****ing awful and looks completely done. No stuff, no command. And he just looks lost. I don't care if it's Flexen or Montero who also sucks or anyone else, I'm just done with Harvey.

Rosario looks exciting. He's still raw but that's to be expected. He seems on track. Should be fun watching him next year.

Smith is having some contact issues but is also getting hurt by a really low BABIP. The good thing is the power is already showing. If he can hit .260 next year with 25 HR I'm happy. He just needs to work on that plate discipline; it's never been a problem for him before so I expect him to adjust. He's always been a high contact rate guy.

Reyes has earned himself a contract for next year, if not from us then from someone else. I'd rather keep him another year and get rid of Assdribble. Save money and get rid of a malcontent.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Mussina was one of the pitchers I used to love to watch. His knuckle curve and the way he could locate his fastballs all over the strike zone was just a pleasure to watch. He didn't have to crank up the velocity later in his career because he was an actual pitcher, not just a thrower. On top of that, his mind for the game was superb. One of my favorites

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
This really isn't true. He was considered borderline hof worthy even before he retired.

He never got the notoriety that other big name pitchers got during their career. And it's taken him 4 years to start collecting a decent percentage of HOF votes.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
He never got the notoriety that other big name pitchers got during their career. And it's taken him 4 years to start collecting a decent percentage of HOF votes.

Notoriety? Mussina flew under the radar compared to other pitchers in that era because he never really had a dominant season. He never won a cy young - was only top 3 in voting once when he lost to Pedro's monster season. But with 270 wins he was always in the conversation.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Notoriety? Mussina flew under the radar compared to other pitchers in that era because he never really had a dominant season.

Might want to recheck his stats before you make that claim.He had some monster seasons.His downfall was pitching in an era of so many dominant power pitchers and some not so great Orioles teams.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Might want to recheck his stats before you make that claim.He had some monster seasons.His downfall was pitching in an era of so many dominant power pitchers and some not so great Orioles teams.
Might want to check the definition of dominant.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Only because they ran into the Yankees who were also rolling out a handful of Hall of Famers and a whole mess of guys on top of that who were not Hall of Famers, but very, very good.

Take away the Yankees, and the Braves win three.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Sandy Alderson: "Mike Barwis is one of our most important staff members and is not going anywhere"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->