OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
His blister issues worry me less than his horrible mechanics.

There are very few pitchers I'd feel comfortable trading Gary Sanchez for - That list is below 5 (probably closer to 3) and Aaron Sanchez is not even close to being on it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
And the other Sanchez lost almost all of last year due to blister problems. One is locked in as an all-star, the other may have difficulty ever pitching a full season. (I should know, I had the latter as a keeper on my fantasy squad going into last season.)
Plus Gary is the best at his position so it wouldn't be worthwhile. We'll get anotber ace ace without giving him up.

I always rated Aaron though. And I asked because a few Blue Jays fans at work were suggesting they had the better Sanchez. :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Posey is basically the Giants' Jeter, he's an excellent player.

Realmuto would make the list of players I posted above too depending on where he ends up after getting out of Miami. His Home/Road splits are like the direct opposite of everyone who plays in Arizona and Colorado.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mets don't have 25 major leaguers to choose from. I'd prefer seven relievers, instead of 8. Choosing between Montero, Robles and Rhame is choosing between three non-major leaguers. Should just go with Lugo and Gsellman in the pen, don't worry about someone being "stretched out" in AAA. If you really need it, you have Montero in AAA, since he won't be claimed. Instead, I'd carry Evans on the active roster until Conforto returns, and then Evans goes down and we carry 5 OF's. Once Vargas comes back, put him in the pen as a second lefty, and you can send either Lugo or Gsellman to AAA to be "stretched out" as a starter. Smith and Guillorme should replace Gonzalez and Reyes within a few months if they have good starts in AAA. The rest of the roster is straight forward.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd put Contreras and Posey in the same class.

But its really those 3 and everyone else.
I'm a big time Buster Posey guy

As all-around catchers, they're definitely in the same class. I would take Posey over Sanchez as an all-around catcher.

In terms of offense though, Posey has 45 homers the last three seasons. Gary has 53 the last season and a third. He's slugging nearly 100 points higher.

Neither Contreras nor Posey has posted an OPS higher than .861 since Posey's 2012 season. Gary is averaging .920 over 162 games.

Offensively, there's Sanchez and then there's everyone else.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Neither Contreras nor Posey has posted an OPS higher than .861 since Posey's 2012 season. Gary is averaging .920 over 162 games.

The thing also though is that Posey makes up in drawing walks and gets on base at a significantly higher clip than Sanchez. Swinging isn’t the only aspect of being good at the plate.

Posey and Sanchez have very comparable wOBA and wRC+ numbers to boot because of this.

I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other but it’s not a chasm between.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The thing also though is that Posey makes up in drawing walks and gets on base at a significantly higher clip than Sanchez. Swinging isn’t the only aspect of being good at the plate.

Posey and Sanchez have very comparable wOBA and wRC+ numbers to boot because of this.

I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other but it’s not a chasm between.

To be fair, I'm not exactly excited to walk Sanchez to put more guys on base for the Yankees, but if I'm pitching to the 2016 or 2017 Giants, I'm holding up 4 fingers every time I see Posey to take my chances with whatever plug is behind him.

Now that the Giants added power for 2018, I'm interested to see what Posey does. Who knows, he may hit for more power with some MLB hitters behind him.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
To be fair, I'm not exactly excited to walk Sanchez to put more guys on base for the Yankees, but if I'm pitching to the 2016 or 2017 Giants, I'm holding up 4 fingers every time I see Posey to take my chances with whatever plug is behind him.

Now that the Giants added power for 2018, I'm interested to see what Posey does. Who knows, he may hit for more power with some MLB hitters behind him.

True true.

I just quietely love the walk :laugh:

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So your OBP was .150? :neener:
Word! But I was still better than Javier Baez :naughty:

Also, back in little league you just played at the local park which didn't always have designated fences. You had to just run all the way around for homers. I was the slowest kid in the league and I led the league in triples. You don't see that every day.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As all-around catchers, they're definitely in the same class. I would take Posey over Sanchez as an all-around catcher.

In terms of offense though, Posey has 45 homers the last three seasons. Gary has 53 the last season and a third. He's slugging nearly 100 points higher.

Buster Posey is on par offensively with Sanchez. People tend to look at HR totals and ignore everything else. On average Posey is 135-140 wRC+ hitter, something Sanchez wasn't last year (as good as he was).

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Buster Posey is on par offensively with Sanchez. People tend to look at HR totals and ignore everything else. On average Posey is 135-140 wRC+ hitter, something Sanchez wasn't last year (as good as he was).
Which is fine because Posey has been around for how long? While Sanchez has been around for a year and a half. It speaks more volume to Sanchez’s ability to already be in the discussion.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
What do you guys think about Conforto this season? He wasn't drafted in my fantasy league, so I added him as a UFA today. Worth rostering assuming he comes back in April?

And speaking of catchers, they pretty much suck this year. I'm hoping for some production from Wilson Ramos.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Sanchez will be a top 3 catcher offensively in the game throughout his career and may go on to have an all time career offensively as a catcher. His issue has been and will continue to be defense. He has a great arm and he's decent at framing, but he has shown some major lapses keeping the ball in front of him. If he can be a consistent blocker, he can be truly great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad