OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I can understand the skepticism with Hicks, but when Bird has been healthy, he has raked.

Many will point to the Yankee trades last year as to why they did as well as they did, but Bird coming back had a bigger impact than any of the moves they made. Even if Hicks isn't that good, the lineup is strong enough to carry him. Bird otoh, is very important.

I'm very comfortable with the lineup and the pen. The Rotation is worrisome and while they have the chips to add a quality arm or 2, I think they messed up by not adding Cole for cheap. Chance Adams is not that good.

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can understand the skepticism with Hicks, but when Bird has been healthy, he has raked.

Many will point to the Yankee trades last year as to why they did as well as they did, but Bird coming back had a bigger impact than any of the moves they made. Even if Hicks isn't that good, the lineup is strong enough to carry him. Bird otoh, is very important.

I'm very comfortable with the lineup and the pen. The Rotation is worrisome and while they have the chips to add a quality arm or 2, I think they messed up by not adding Cole for cheap. Chance Adams is not that good.

Cole was only cheap for Houston after Pittsburgh priced themselves out and nobody would talk to them.

From all the rumors I've heard, 1)we weren't getting the same value and 2)they were dead set on Torres.

I think another arm would be ideal but it's something we can address at the deadline when guys are closer to expiring and prices are slightly lower. It's not something that's going to keep us out of the playoff race.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Cole was only cheap for Houston after Pittsburgh priced themselves out and nobody would talk to them.

From all the rumors I've heard, 1)we weren't getting the same value and 2)they were dead set on Torres.

I think another arm would be ideal but it's something we can address at the deadline when guys are closer to expiring and prices are slightly lower. It's not something that's going to keep us out of the playoff race.

We were offering Frazier+ lesser guys.

Throw Adams into that deal and it trumps what Houston ended up giving up. I have a bad feeling this is going to end up being like the time Cashman refused to include Eduardo Nunez in a trade for Cliff Lee only to watch him to to Texas instead. That decision may have cost this team another WS.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We were offering Frazier+ lesser guys.

Throw Adams into that deal and it trumps what Houston ended up giving up. I have a bad feeling this is going to end up being like the time Cashman refused to include Eduardo Nunez in a trade for Cliff Lee only to watch him to to Texas instead. That decision may have cost this team another WS.

We also never played Nunez and I'm becoming slightly worried about Andujar :laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"He features an upper 90's fastball and a slightly slower fastball" -Pretty much Cone's scouting report on Kahnle.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hate the Walker signing. He is so mediocre.

If we were going to sign someone and pay $5 million then it should have been Moustakas at $6-7 million with Drury moving to 2B.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wright told no baseball activity for eight weeks. You really gotta think this is it. Like he had surgery to remove some bony shield to reduce pressure on his spine or some shit in the off-season. Just hang it up, David. You can be the bench coach or whatever other coach you want to be. Go move to Florida and coach EXST and then work with the PSL Mets or something. Just stop killing yourself over trying to get back.

So, so sad. He had a lot of baseball ahead of him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wright told no baseball activity for eight weeks. You really gotta think this is it. Like he had surgery to remove some bony shield to reduce pressure on his spine or some **** in the off-season. Just hang it up, David. You can be the bench coach or whatever other coach you want to be. Go move to Florida and coach EXST and then work with the PSL Mets or something. Just stop killing yourself over trying to get back.

So, so sad. He had a lot of baseball ahead of him.

He'll keep trying. Why not let him do it? Whether he ever gets back on the field is another story.

I'm more worried about Cespedes latest injury, and Dom Smith's injury. Not that Smith is so great, but Gonzalez will be making the opening day roster, if Smith never gets himself back in Spring Training games, and that pretty much can't happen, considering Gonzalez sucks.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wright needs to be traded to the AL if he wants a shot at salvaging his career moving forward. He needs to be a full time DH.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't think DH is the answer for him.

He needs to hang them up before he ****s himself up seriously. Juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point.
But he won't do so. And if he really wants to give himself and his body the best opportunity to play a couple more seasons then it has to be as a DH with him playing 100-115 games per season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

If we were going to sign someone and pay $5 million then it should have been Moustakas at $6-7 million with Drury moving to 2B.

Andujar at third and Drury to second. Done.

Like, I trust Cashman and I won't crap on him until I've seen this play out, but it doesn't make sense to me at all.

I don't see any way Walker is more effective than Andujar in 2018.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Andujar at third and Drury to second. Done.

Like, I trust Cashman and I won't crap on him until I've seen this play out, but it doesn't make sense to me at all.

I don't see any way Walker is more effective than Andujar in 2018.
If Walker had superb defense then I could understand it. But he doesn't. He sucks. In fact they have already talked about having Wade come in late in games to replace him. What a joke. We have to replace him with the kid we like more anyways.

It should absolutely be Andujar at 3B and Drury at 2B with Wade rotating in until Gleyber is ready.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Walker had superb defense then I could understand it. But he doesn't. He sucks. In fact they have already talked about having Wade come in late in games to replace him. What a joke. We have to replace him with the kid we like more anyways.

It should absolutely be Andujar at 3B and Drury at 2B with Wade rotating in until Gleyber is ready.

I expect a guy that needs to be defensively replaced to have an outstanding bat.

Walker has an ok bat. And it's not better than Drury's and it's not better than Andujar's.

If you're going to play a potential liability in the field for his offense, then just play f***ing Andujar!

Reactions: RGY

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'll keep trying. Why not let him do it? Whether he ever gets back on the field is another story.

I'm more worried about Cespedes latest injury, and Dom Smith's injury. Not that Smith is so great, but Gonzalez will be making the opening day roster, if Smith never gets himself back in Spring Training games, and that pretty much can't happen, considering Gonzalez sucks.
I wouldn't try to stop him and didn't mean to imply I would. It's just a plea from a fan who has enjoyed following his career from supplemental draft pick to superstar to hang it up for his own sake, before anything gets worse. But of course, yes, it is ultimately his decision. It just pains me to see him continue putting himself through it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I expect a guy that needs to be defensively replaced to have an outstanding bat.

Walker has an ok bat. And it's not better than Drury's and it's not better than Andujar's.

If you're going to play a potential liability in the field for his offense, then just play ****ing Andujar!
Well yeah this is where I was going with it.

Moustakas would potentially hit 35 HR/90 RBI playing in Yankee Stadium half the season. Maybe more.

But if you weren't going to sign him then there was absolutely no reason to sign Walker. Let Andujar have all of those at-bats, not just some. I agree, that Drury overall is better and younger. (on a side not, Drury reminds me a lot of Brosius for some reason).

I just think it is a mind boggling move. Why even bother. Why take ABs away from Andujar and Drury, as well as even Wade who adds defense and speed to the makeup of the team.

Am I missing some stat/advanced stat? Like are his strikeouts down? Is he a good bat-to-ball hitter? Is he a good situational hitter? I don't really care that he is a switch hitter. We have a pretty good mix of L-R in lineup:

Gardner - L
Judge - R
Bird - L
Stanton - R
Sanchez - R
Didi - L
Hicks - S
Andujar - R
Drury - R

Ellsbury - L
Wade - L
Torreyes - R
Austin - R
Romine - R

McKinney - L
Lind - L
Torres - R
Frazier - R
Florial - L

Lol we have 3rd tier guys in AAA who I would prefer over Walker. However, I would not have preferred them over Moustakas. Which is the ultimate problem here. There was no real reason to bring Walker in.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

They didn't want to give up the pick to sign Moose.

Walker is pretty underrated. Switch hitter with a high walk rate and low K rate. That's exactly what we need.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

If you're going to play a potential liability in the field for his offense, then just play ****ing Andujar!
Andujar has fallen off a cliff after his godly start in Spring Training. Not quite ready yet for a team with WS aspirations.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
David Wright is within his right to go out there and keep trying

But holy shit does it kill me inside with each and every injury and setback. He's my favorite ballplayer ever.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not quite, but he's always been an above average offensive player at his position. He's not bad as a 8/9 option - which he will be for the Yankees.
He is not above average. Cmon that is just absurd.

Drury could definitely outhit him at 2B this year if we had not signed him. Andujar absolutely will outhit both. Bringing up the fact that Andujar has slowed down after his hot start means nothing really. His bat isnt going to be on fire all season long. But overall in the long run he could certainly outproduce Walker easily.

And yea I would rather have given up the pick and added a more impact bat with Moose. Losing that pick would really not hurt the farm system one bit.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Torres optioned to AAA / minor league camp after the game today.

Andujar still here as he should be. Looks like Florial is too but he will be going down after next couple games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad