OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If he's a Yankee come next year, he's taking over for Gardy in LF.
Im not so sure Gardner doesnt resign with us.Hes a really important part of this team and the only true leadoff threat we have.I honestly want to see him finish his career with us.He's earned it.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Im not so sure Gardner doesnt resign with us.Hes a really important part of this team and the only true leadoff threat we have.I honestly want to see him finish his career with us.He's earned it.

hes 34 and has knee issues.

I'd take him on a cheaper deal for 1-2 years to serve as a reserve.

Who leads off for us?I'm not sold on Hicks doing it for a full year.He's not the table setter Gardner is.
Boone was already toying with Judge in the leadoff spot this spring. Among the kids, both Torres and Frazier could also fill the role. This team doesn’t need an ‘80s-era table setter who’ll steal a lot of bases. It needs a guy who gets on base and takes advantage of the extra ABs provided by leading off. Judge is a .400 OB guy. Torres still makes the occasional mistake on the bases, but his eye is exceptional and he’s still got plenty of room to improve both at 21. Frazier’s eye and baserunning are already both advanced and he’s only 23.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Boone was already toying with Judge in the leadoff spot this spring. Among the kids, both Torres and Frazier could also fill the role. This team doesn’t need an ‘80s-era table setter who’ll steal a lot of bases. It needs a guy who gets on base and takes advantage of the extra ABs provided by leading off. Judge is a .400 OB guy. Torres still makes the occasional mistake on the bases, but his eye is exceptional and he’s still got plenty of room to improve both at 21. Frazier’s eye and baserunning are already both advanced and he’s only 23.
I dont disagree,but Gardners value to the team wouldnt be as easily replaced as some might think.

Reactions: Bozle

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
he doesnt have the base stealing in his game to do it.I see him eventually settling in as our #3 hitter.
Gardys a 20s stealer...it's a solid number but hardly the be all end all. To me it's all about obp for your table setters... Besides in this day and age it's all about either getting on base or hitting it outta the park
.. manufacturing runs isn't really a thing anymore.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Gardy's stolen base totals don't do him much justice. He's a very good base runner.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Gardy's stolen base totals don't do him much justice. He's a very good base runner.
Oh he absolutely is. I still just don't think the game is moving in a direction where signing a 34 to 35 year old gardy to a 2 yr contract makes any sense.

I'd rather turn the roster over to Frazier or florial or what not.

Reactions: darko

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Unfortunately, being a leadoff hitter these days doesnt mean you have to be able to steal bases. With the homerun ball, there is less base stealing. Just need a leadoff hitter to get on base

Reactions: Inferno

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm all for Judge leading off. Gets on base at an elite level. It also gives him somewhere around 30-40 extra at bats per season.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Yankees are great but...

Their obsession with a 13th pitcher is criminal. It doesnt matter how much hes barely used or who it is lol

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Yankees are great but...

Their obsession with a 13th pitcher is criminal. It doesnt matter how much hes barely used or who it is lol

With the DH, you don't really need a 5 man bench. You're 9 regulars + backup IF, backup OF, utility player, and backup C.

You'll get more out of the extra arm in the pen. Allows you to avoid guys going 3 days in a row and if you really need to go to the pen early once a week, you've got the option.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
With the DH, you don't really need a 5 man bench. You're 9 regulars + backup IF, backup OF, utility player, and backup C.

You'll get more out of the extra arm in the pen. Allows you to avoid guys going 3 days in a row and if you really need to go to the pen early once a week, you've got the option.

They have a 3 man bench tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->