OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Look at what the Yankees were just 1.5 seasons ago (deadline 2016), old, boring team with pretty much no flexibility.. Look at them just a little over a year later. Its unheard of how quick they came.

Reactions: ponzu4u

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Look at what the Yankees were just 1.5 seasons ago (deadline 2016), old, boring team with pretty much no flexibility.. Look at them just a little over a year later. Its unheard of how quick they came.

Kudos to front office. Also touch fortunate to hit on couple home runs in Severino and Judge. Neither was considered a top 10-15 prospect at any point. Right now Severino is one of the best pitchers in the game and Judge one of the best hitters in the game.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Kudos to front office. Also touch fortunate to hit on couple home runs in Severino and Judge. Neither was considered a top 10-15 prospect at any point. Right now Severino is one of the best pitchers in the game and Judge one of the best hitters in the game.

Top 10-15 prospects in all of MLB, or in the Yankee farm system? If the latter, they were definitely considered top prospects.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

I'm still not over Aaron. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. But .000000000000000000000001% of me is rattled that he went from intriguing prospect to hyper-elite hitter in like 15 minutes. :laugh:

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Judge and Severino went from needing great springs to even make the team last year to becoming one of the best hitters and pitchers in all of baseball. Sanchez's struggles this season aside, what he's already accomplished at the MLB level as an offensive catcher is equally as crazy. Basically turned Rookie Davis and Eric Jagielo into Chapman and Torres. Not even mentioning flipping Shane Greene and John Ryan Murphy into Didi Gregorius and Aaron Hick's. C - SS - 2B - CF anchoring the middle, your big slugger out in right, and the ace of your staff already set to go. Not too bad. Easily fill in the rest from there.

A bit of luck, some very shrewd trades, and a lot of patience has paid off in dividends for this team.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Makes you realize the New York Rangers can do the very same thing. I keep saying it. Stockpile a ton of young talent. Mix in some veteran talent. You can compete within the next year or so.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Makes you realize the New York Rangers can do the very same thing. I keep saying it. Stockpile a ton of young talent. Mix in some veteran talent. You can compete within the next year or so.
Cashman >>> Gorton

Reactions: RGY

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Rangers don’t have a judge, Sanchez, severino, Torres or andujar in their system.

At one point or another they were all top 10 guys in the system and top 30ish in the league. Not only did they hit on those guys, they’ve collectively exceeded expectations by a ton almost immediately.

That almost never happens. You may see it every now and then, but they’ve basically had all star level impact players break in off the hop each of the last 3 years, two of them this season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
What the Yankees have done is borderline absurd...rangers cant really do that. Yabks have basically hit grand slams on almost all their top prospects of late...remember when Hughes and Joba were the next 1 2 punch? Neither ended up being an ace. How about the killer B's? Only betances has panned out and 90 percent of the fan base wanted to throw him onto subway tracks before the train pulled in.

Everything's been a grand slam. It's like if howden chytil and lias end up becoming Crosby Malkin and staal. It's not happening.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What the Yankees have done is borderline absurd...rangers cant really do that. Yabks have basically hit grand slams on almost all their top prospects of late...remember when Hughes and Joba were the next 1 2 punch? Neither ended up being an ace. How about the killer B's? Only betances has panned out and 90 percent of the fan base wanted to throw him onto subway tracks before the train pulled in.

Everything's been a grand slam. It's like if howden chytil and lias end up becoming Crosby Malkin and staal. It's not happening.
They can still become very good players and thats still hitting a grand slam because hockey is way different than baseball collectively as a group of 5 on the ice. Baseball is such a 1v1 sport that does not rely on more than 3-4 to players on any given play and the reality is that is only if a groundball is it to an infielder or if a base hit goes into the OF. But it is mainly pitcher vs hitter. In hockey, again it would be a success if those guys all become top 6 forwards. And that is still very possible

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They can still become very good players and thats still hitting a grand slam because hockey is way different than baseball collectively as a group of 5 on the ice. Baseball is such a 1v1 sport that does not rely on more than 3-4 to players on any given play and the reality is that is only if a groundball is it to an infielder or if a base hit goes into the OF. But it is mainly pitcher vs hitter. In hockey, again it would be a success if those guys all become top 6 forwards. And that is still very possible
Sure...if they all become top 6s it's good.

Except...that's mostly not what wins. You don't win with a bunch of top 6 guys.

You win with 3 or 4 superstars

Ovi backstrom kuznetsov
Crosby Malkin Kessel

The list goes on and on and on.

Reactions: darko

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Ovi backstrom kuznetsov
Crosby Malkin Kessel

Three second lines and one third line gets you sustained success in the NHL, but winning the cup would require tons of health and luck. 3 superstars and the proper surrounding pieces increased the odds greatly but is understandably much more difficult to build and find. So unless you tank for 3 years and get three top 3 overalls, you aim for the first way and hope to luck out and are able to finish it the second way.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Ovi backstrom kuznetsov
Crosby Malkin Kessel

This is why I'm wanting to at the very least inquire about Panarin if he's really available. Theres your star to build around. Its much easier to build around a star than to get one when you're ready.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Really hoping Loasiga progresses with his 2nd start tonight. He has good velocity and pounds be zone. Need to take some pressure off Cashman to make a move sooner rather than later. Not saying it will give us back leverage in trade talks, but at least we wont be naked at the table if German and Loasiga can hold down the fort and then some.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Really hoping Loasiga progresses with his 2nd start tonight. He has good velocity and pounds be zone. Need to take some pressure off Cashman to make a move sooner rather than later. Not saying it will give us back leverage in trade talks, but at least we wont be naked at the table if German and Loasiga can hold down the fort and then some.
Agreed. Also, ups their value as potential chips.

Honestly, with German's emerging swing and miss ability, he's entering into the category of a guy I'd try really hard to hold on to...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
In the last 2+ years a list of prospects the Yankees have excelling in the majors.
Severino (late 2015)
Judge
Sanchez
Torres
Andujar
Green
Betances
Montgomery b4 injury

Possibles?
German

Coming soon?
Loaisiga (1 start already)
Frazier
Sheffield

Is that good?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Agreed. Also, ups their value as potential chips.

Honestly, with German's emerging swing and miss ability, he's entering into the category of a guy I'd try really hard to hold on to...
Loasiga is the guy who can really increase his trade value. Well both can, but of course Yanks would probably prefer to keep German because he is developing a track record with each start. Loasiga was a guy we bough low on, like German, who has now developed a bit and we can sell high on with a few good starts.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
All depends on what SP is available. If I'm being realistic our best target is probably Hamels, followed by Happ. We have assets to get almost anyone but it comes down to them being available

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In the last 2+ years a list of prospects the Yankees have excelling in the majors.
Severino (late 2015)
Judge
Sanchez
Torres
Andujar
Green
Betances
Montgomery b4 injury

Possibles?
German

Coming soon?
Loaisiga (1 start already)
Frazier
Sheffield

Is that good?

Kinda.

But this is also why comparing the Rangers' to them is silly.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kinda.

But this is also why comparing the Rangers' to them is silly.
I am not saying it a straight apples to apples comparison. You simply cannot compare baseball rosters to hockey rosters due to the constant call ups of players and how many lower tier leagues there affiliated teams there are for each MLB team. You have a way larger pool. I think its even harder with baseball to decipher who is going to blossom into a good/great/superstar major leaguer than it is with Hockey. In baseball so many teams hit on a later round picks because those kids go through multiple levels of development (obviously some skip levels). And on top of all this, during that development these players have the opportunity to change positions, even from position player to pitcher, as well find a niche role that allows them to stick in the Majors for several years.

I think it is way more important in hockey to do what Gorton has done and stockpile prospects and 1st/2nd round picks because while they may not be superstars there is a good chance to be NHLers at some point. I think Gorton has positioned the team to turn the rebuild around quicker than expected. Cleared out salary, added already drafted prospects, and will add more in the upper rounds as opposed to years of starting our draft at the bottom of the 2nd round and/or 3rd round in which we missed on draft pick selections because at those points the percentages drop.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think we need to wait for the dust to settle before we completely make that assessment on Gorton.
I've seen more than enough to conclude that Cashman is better.

Everyone always gives the Rangers a copout. "Oh it's different." f***ing right it's different - one team is one of the most successful in pro sports and the other is one of the least successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad