OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Worst reg season loss in 15 years...
I remember Billy Wagner blowing some saves against Philly many years ago that were excruciating. That might have been our 7-up, 17-to-play year. Lots of terrible losses there. There was also that loss from a couple years ago where we were like a strike away from closing it out and then they called a rain delay, and when we came back Familia couldn't get that last strike and ended up allowing a couple homers or something and we lost in extras. I'm sure there are dozens of other terrible losses in there. I mean in 15 years we're talking 2400+ games, so there are sure to be some other bad ones.

The thing about "season-altering" losses is they rarely are season-altering. I remember when we were down 8-1 to the Braves and score like a million runs with 2 outs, with Piazza hitting that homer to put us up 3. That was pure magic and I was sure it was going to propel us to the division title. And then the next day we come out and score like 6 or 7 in the first couple innings and again win, and it feels like we've got it. I think they were 2 back at that point. But then we ended up losing the final game and the rest of the season was just typical Mets shit.

Professional athletes are pretty good at putting things behind them. If last night's loss somehow derails the entire season for us, then this is a pretty sad, frail group that wasn't going to do anything anyway. There are 147 games to go, after all. I don't think there are "season-altering" events this early on (other than injuries and other stuff); the Nats will pick it up eventually and eventually we'll stop winning 12 out of 14 games.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Season-altering loss? Lol cmon now. That is just absurd.

What will alter the season in the wrong direction is if your pitching doesnt stay healthy. Not losing game 15 in April when their record was 12-2 going into it.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm more upset about them wasting a fine effort by DeGrom. The guy went 8 innings. You don't get regular performances like that these days.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm more upset about them wasting a fine effort by DeGrom. The guy went 8 innings. You don't get regular performances like that these days.
The frustrating part about that (well, one of them) was the pen could have used a rest, and deGrom put them in position to receive one. Unfortunately everyone sucked and we had to blow through half the guys out there just to finish the final two outs in the eighth. Lugo was the killer, there--coming in and throwing four consecutive balls. If he does his job things probably play out much differently. Although, I guess you could say the same for the rest of them, too.

Ah well, come out and win the next two and you kill any momentum or good feelings the Gnats may have.

Reactions: will1066

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Season-altering loss? Lol cmon now. That is just absurd.

What will alter the season in the wrong direction is if your pitching doesnt stay healthy. Not losing game 15 in April when their record was 12-2 going into it.

It definitely could prove big in the end. I felt game one of this series was the best shot for the Mets to win and then hoped they could maybe grab one of the other two to take them series. I have some concern now they may get swept. It’s not really the end of the world but if it’s the difference between going 10-9 vs Washington vs 8-11 if they won last night that could be big. I think the Mets are too good for that loss to implode their season. That’s more likely to happen to a team expected to be bad. I think in 2015 the Nats had a slow start then came back from 10-1 down vs Atlanta to win the game. They went like 20-4 after that before reverting to .500 ball the rest of the way so the effect isn’t always long lasting even for the team who wins.

I’ll add in that may have been the most lucky comeback ever with like 3 ground balls finding holes

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't fret, Mets fans.

The Yankees had a couple of similar losses to Baltimore and they were an afterthought last night as we were tallying a dozen runs. Hell, they were calling game 2 against the Indians worse than 2001/2004 (lol no) and we won the damn series.

It's a long season, but as long as it is, fortunes change in an inning. You never know. But I think you look at the roster and you're pretty comfortable with it if they don't get injuries, which can be said for anyone regarding the injuries.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Lol Judge already has a 1.2 WAR.

No question he'll have his downs but I think this young man is for real. Perennial elite talent.
Amazing season no doubt. He's just one of the players you know who will strive to keep improving year after year. One of these seasons I won't be surprised if his walks were greater than strikeouts.

For me Didi's plate discipline improvement is the biggest positive news of the season for us. He's on pace to shatter his career walks prior to entering the season all this year IIRC.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Amazing season no doubt. He's just one of the players you know who will strive to keep improving year after year. One of these seasons I won't be surprised if his walks were greater than strikeouts.

For me Didi's plate discipline improvement is the biggest positive news of the season for us. He's on pace to shatter his career walks prior to entering the season all this year IIRC.
He might do it this week :laugh:

Yeah, the both of them just keep putting in the work and doing things unexpected of them. This is a great group of guys to go along with the talent.

Gary starting to make contact now too. It'll be lit once Giancarlo gets going. But every star has struggled here to start, they showed a graphic on YES.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This f***ing team. You must be joking. Neil Walker lol you suck man. Dont wana hit and dont wana field...can we give you back to whomever at this point? Gleyber makes that play.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Did this team do any fielding drills this spring? Tyler Austin should've kept the errant Didi throw from getting by him, and can't even catch a routine throw from Sanchez.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did this team do any fielding drills this spring? Tyler Austin should've kept the errant Didi throw from getting by him, and can't even catch a routine throw from Sanchez.
I was thinking the same but was willing to maybe give Austin a pass on that play...but then he couldnt catch a low throw. He is not a good first baseman

And now he is up swinging through pitches on the outside corner...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Austin does not get hits unless the pitches are the inner half of the plate.

Neil Walker is a waste of space. Would rather live with the growing pains of Gleyber than watch this bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->