OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Just trade for Realmuto. He doesn't want to be on the Marlins and would be a huge upgrade. Obviously he would cost something pretty good since he's a quality player, still relatively young, and inexpensive but he could be a longterm option. The team is off to a great start don't ruin it by trotting out guys that are barely major leaguers.

Ok so what are you giving up? Dunn? Peterson?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Perfectly willing to give up top prospects for him yea. Top 3 in catcher WAR the last two calendar years is only 27 and is cheap for the next 3 years I’d give up a lot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets shouldn't be buyers right now. See if the arms hold up. If guys start getting hurt again they're f***ed. The system isn't very good so if they move the pieces they have and then the arms fall apart it's bad news.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The Mets shouldn't be buyers right now. See if the arms hold up. If guys start getting hurt again they're ****ed. The system isn't very good so if they move the pieces they have and then the arms fall apart it's bad news.

Realmuto isn’t a buy for just this year though. He’s at a minimum a valuable piece for the next 3 years and potentially even more than that if they signed him to an extension.

It’s a relatively huge upgrade. His WAR last year alone is almost equivalent to TDA/Plawecki since 2015 combined.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Realmuto isn’t a buy for just this year though. He’s at a minimum a valuable piece for the next 3 years and potentially even more than that if they signed him to an extension.

It’s a relatively huge upgrade. His WAR last year alone is almost equivalent to TDA/Plawecki since 2015 combined.
My point is that if the Mets' arms fall apart again, then they're obviously going to have to consider doing something other than what they've been doing for the past four years. We could be talking rebuild mode, given the frailty of the arms and the relatively barren system. If everything is going well for them in a few months or at the TDL, sure, go ahead and buy; but now there's still too much uncertainty about this season and about whether adding Callaway and new strength coaches and trainers can actually "fix" the injury problems. Although, I suppose you could flip Realmuto after acquiring him if you have to blow it up. But that would just be trading your good prospects for someone else's good prospects. I don't know, I just don't think it's a wise move this early in the year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My point is that if the Mets' arms fall apart again, then they're obviously going to have to consider doing something other than what they've been doing for the past four years. We could be talking rebuild mode, given the frailty of the arms and the relatively barren system. If everything is going well for them in a few months or at the TDL, sure, go ahead and buy; but now there's still too much uncertainty about this season and about whether adding Callaway and new strength coaches and trainers can actually "fix" the injury problems. Although, I suppose you could flip Realmuto after acquiring him if you have to blow it up. But that would just be trading your good prospects for someone else's good prospects. I don't know, I just don't think it's a wise move this early in the year.

I don't think I would handle the team assuming everyone is going to get hurt. If that happens again it happens but that sounds even more of a reason to buy early to me - build up some wins and get a bigger concussion so you can further withstand injuries later.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think I would handle the team assuming everyone is going to get hurt. If that happens again it happens but that sounds even more of a reason to buy early to me - build up some wins and get a bigger concussion so you can further withstand injuries later.
I don't know what to say other than I disagree. The Mets as currently constructed have depth to handle an injury or two to the pitching staff and pretty much anywhere in the lineup (not many teams have a contingency against losing both catchers). Their team is good. They can play until closer to the deadline and see then if it's worth depleting an already thin farm. You can have the last word on it as I have nothing else to add, really.

Either way, I don't know that the Mets have the pieces to acquire Realmuto. When people throw out names like Rosario or Conforto, I balk.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If it makes you feel better, Angels paid Pujols 26 mill last season to put up -1.9 WAR in 149 games.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Stop me if you've heard this before....Betances comes in and prompty gives up a no doubt homerun. Followed by a single. Someone better be warming up in the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->