MLB The Show 18

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
anyone else finding it really hard to work the markets this year? There is no profits to be had when ever I look.

Absolutely.

Of course, I've never had success working the market like people do. I swear the moment I buy a guy his value will plummet within seconds. I'm lucky to ever break even. I remember last year there was an AllStar Longoria, with a spread of 45000-20000. I got one for 20K. Profit incoming right?. 30 minutes later I sold him for 18500 for a loss. Works that way for me all the time.

or like all damn day today I've watched Yadier Molina to be my final Cards for the collection. He's rolling 2500-2900 all day. Look at his graph, he's never dropped below 2400. Ever. So I put in the buy order at 2200. Sold, collection complete. Hour later he's 1400. That has NEVER happened with this guy.

But this year I have a lot of stubs invested in players who should be upgraded instead, like I did with Judge last year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Absolutely.

Of course, I've never had success working the market like people do. I swear the moment I buy a guy his value will plummet within seconds. I'm lucky to ever break even. I remember last year there was an AllStar Longoria, with a spread of 45000-20000. I got one for 20K. Profit incoming right?. 30 minutes later I sold him for 18500 for a loss. Works that way for me all the time.

or like all damn day today I've watched Yadier Molina to be my final Cards for the collection. He's rolling 2500-2900 all day. Look at his graph, he's never dropped below 2400. Ever. So I put in the buy order at 2200. Sold, collection complete. Hour later he's 1400. That has NEVER happened with this guy.

But this year I have a lot of stubs invested in players who should be upgraded instead, like I did with Judge last year.
Never flip player cards when trying to flip for a profit. Prices change so much. I stick to equipment but jerseys and hats should work too.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Legend+ pitching is way too difficult for me, but Legend is probably too easy. Ugh.

It feels like at high difficulties the game just decides the player is going to get a hit on certain pitches no matter what.

I can't even count how many times some guy with 30-40 power pulls a changeup that's a foot down and a foot outside for a 450ft HR.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I feel like for most sports games, on the harder difficulties, the AI's ratings just go up.
That's true, but my problem is how it seems that not only do they AI attributes increase(which, like you said, happens in pretty much all sports games), but my players' attributes seem to decrease. Even if I time a ball perfectly and square it up I'll hit a lazy fly ball with someone with 80+ power. I'm not saying that should be a homer every time, but it should be hit hard, and that's not always the case. Playing the CPU on anything higher than All Star is an exercise in frustration for me. I'm not particularly good at the game and it just makes it all the more annoying.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
100% recommendation on getting Gary Sanchez for his about 13,000 price. Just hit HR number 30 with him in 24 games, crushes left and righties. Like real life drops a fair amount of pitches at him but totally makes up for it smashing RBIs, power swing at everything.

Jim Edmonds gold card very similar for a CF option. 100 RBI and counting with him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
RTTS is a little too forced in terms of making you an underdog. I’ve been playing around with it a bit and I absolutely tore up the showcase/prospects game (dropped to the lowest difficulty and cranked the sliders) and I went in the 23rd round. I then missed every ball in the showcase and struck out every time in the prospect games, and went in the 26th round. It basically doesn’t matter what you do. It let my potential go up a little faster it seems, but that’s it. And potential only really affects your wage. I was the NL MVP, who hit 50 home runs, and was 99 overall, yet my C potential meant that even in free agency, my contract offers were 8 years, 4.5 million, or 10 years, 7 million

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How is the Franchise Mode?

Tempted to buy a PS4 to play this. I have 17 on my PS3, but I assume the game looks and plays better on PS4, so just curious as to what the Franchise and Road To The Show Modes are like this year

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is anyone else finding that pitching is a little too hard? CPU always has these big innings.

What difficulty level do you have it on? Which pitching setting do you use?

I find for the adjusted pitching that Legend is fine for me, but Legend+ is ridiculous. I use the meter pitching thingy.

I can't hit for anything, though.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
I just picked up a ps4 to play this game. I haven't played a baseball game in eons, any advice in terms of controls. There seems to be a lot of options and seeing how I'm pretty much learning everything from scratch, I'm curious if there are any consemsus best controls.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I just picked up a ps4 to play this game. I haven't played a baseball game in eons, any advice in terms of controls. There seems to be a lot of options and seeing how I'm pretty much learning everything from scratch, I'm curious if there are any consemsus best controls.

MLB 15 view for batting angle. Other than that, everyone seems to find their own preferences. I know I’ll never change from analog pitching after trying it

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
New Patch
sUuG63i.jpg

bfWWTus.jpg

Apparently fastballs are still not a viable option online which is really frustrating. I hate not being able to use fastballs.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Won this game for free on the radio and just picked it up on Friday. I've been tinkering around in the practice modes and "play now" just to get a feel for the game.

It's definitely a fresh and crisp experience for me, as I haven't owned a baseball game since my Sega Genesis. I was pleasantly surprised to see that "old school" mode that simplifies all the controls and even has the old sound-effects too.

I really like the presentation of the game for sure. Maybe I'm too used to the NHL games and it just seems stale to me in comparison, but the MLB presentation is legit.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Really enjoying Road to the Show but one complaint is I am in my second year and I have been traded 6 times.

There’s a bit of randomness to it. In my main career over all the games, I’ve never been dealt. I created a couple characters this year to do a full sim and see if there’s anything weird in the game. The one guy didn’t play more than 3 years for any team, and my original team let me go to free agency at 22.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I just want to get out of the Bull Pen. Leading AAA in strike outs and I haven't had a single start all season. About 3 months in and my record is 2-1. How am I suppose to improve if the pull me in for 1 inning here and there.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just want to get out of the Bull Pen. Leading AAA in strike outs and I haven't had a single start all season. About 3 months in and my record is 2-1. How am I suppose to improve if the pull me in for 1 inning here and there.

I had ridiculous stats through about 10 starts, and I got moved to the bullpen. I begged my way back into the rotation, though.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
What's with the stolen bases? I suck at both stealing bases and catching would-be stealers. Since there's only one slider for stealing bases (both for human and CPU), I don't know how to set it up to get the most fair setting. For stealing bases, should I just barely pull the left trigger? Sometimes I get a good jump, most of the time I don't. That's why I lead the league in caught stealing. SMH. Or should I hold the trigger until the pitcher makes the pitch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad