MLB The Show 18

Sep 19, 2008
Preordered earlier today and started download this morning.

ecf.gif

The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I might get this owing in part to the fact it has no microtransactions. I enjoyed MLB 15 and I assume that the game has come on a lot since then.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I might get this owing in part to the fact it has no microtransactions. I enjoyed MLB 15 and I assume that the game has come on a lot since then.
Just a heads up that it still has microtransactions in Diamond Dynasty(their version of Ultimate Team), but not Road to the Show. If you don’t buy games with microtransactions out of principle then it still doesn’t qualify.

EDIT:Just saw “in part”. Never mind lol.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't like micro-transactions in general.
That said, one of my favourite games 'star wars: the old republic' is full of em.
So I don't necessarily hate the idea of them bringing them in for RTTS. I just hope they don't take away ANYTHING from the current RTTS leveling up format. As long as they don't stunt it to make buying stuff more appealing, then I don't care.

Edit: apparently they removed training points all together. how you level up is purely based on what/how you do in a game aswell as training sessions. Hit a home run? Boosts your power. Steal a base? Increases your speed/sb.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I've always gotten hard copies of games. I'm a bit more oldschool regarding that I guess. However this might be the first game I get online via ps store. It says the early release is the 23rd (tomorrow). What is actually part of that early release? Can i still start a RTTS char and continue it when it fully releases on the 27th? (I'd research this myself but I'm leaving for work as we speak heh)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I've always gotten hard copies of games. I'm a bit more oldschool regarding that I guess. However this might be the first game I get online via ps store. It says the early release is the 23rd (tomorrow). What is actually part of that early release? Can i still start a RTTS char and continue it when it fully releases on the 27th? (I'd research this myself but I'm leaving for work as we speak heh)
The full game releases tonight at 12EST for PSN buyers. You will be able to download the game early(you can download it now) so it's ready to go right when the game launches. It's pretty great honestly.

After you download it and 12EST hits, all of the modes will be available. It basically launches tonight at 12. No features are held back until Tuesday. You can start your RTTS player right away. The only limitation will be the servers which almost certainly will not work properly tonight or for the first couple of weeks like always. That won't be an issue with RTTS most likely though. Just the online stuff.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I've always been a physical copy guy too, love seeing the shelf of all the MLB Show games one after another but EB Games was making it impossible to deal with them for a pre-order, huge shipping costs, wouldn't let me order over phone and pick up in store, etc. Amazon wouldn't come until sometime Tuesday...

I had to buckle down and go digital, figured if I really want the case for the collection I can just go buy a used copy in 2 years when it's 99 cents. Really wanted that Judge steel book though as a Yankees fan.

12 hours.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Now that's a bit of conundrum.

Do I pre-order to play tomorrow or do I wait until the 27th to use that 20% off code from one of those quests?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Now that's a bit of conundrum.

Do I pre-order to play tomorrow or do I wait until the 27th to use that 20% off code from one of those quests?
Im using the 20% off for DD packs that I was gonna buy anyways. If you don't play DD and don't plan on spending extra cash, I would prob just wait to get the game for 20% 0ff

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Im using the 20% off for DD packs that I was gonna buy anyways. If you don't play DD and don't plan on spending extra cash, I would prob just wait to get the game for 20% 0ff

Ah I didn’t even think about that, going to do the same.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Did I have to copy/paste the codes? Or are they in my account?
Anyone know if these rewards are awarded automatically or something? How do I know when I try to buy something I will get the 20% off discount? These codes are only 10 digits and the redeem codes for PSN are 12 digits so its not that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Anyone know if these rewards are awarded automatically or something? How do I know when I try to buy something I will get the 20% off discount? These codes are only 10 digits and the redeem codes for PSN are 12 digits so its not that.

The 20% off one needs to be entered at the checkout of your cart, I believe, so likely only usable on their website.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I'm looking at the top 10 rated players at each position. Damn, the ratings are so low. Trout is a 93, which is the highest of anyone.
I saw a developer live stream about it and it made some sense to me. If you played DD last year you know there were a ton of 99 overall players at the end. They want the 99 overall players to really stand out and only really be legends or players who had a season or two at a legendary level. They want the difference between say a .320 average hitter and a guy like Ted Williams who hit over .400 at times to be noticeable, whereas they weren't in previous games. Both players would be 99 contact. Now in DD(and I think franchise but I'm not sure) ratings can go as high as 125 on individual attributes so your Ted Williams could be a 125 contact versus righties, and your Albert Pujols flashback may only be 105, so the difference will be noticeable.

I obviously haven't seen it in action in order to test it, but I like the idea. That's one of my major complaints about NHL Ultimate Team. Bo Horvat doesn't feel a whole lot different than Mike Modano when in reality they should be on a different planet. I'm hopeful that it will be good and that the 99s will be incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->