Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
With all that out of the way:

Contact hitting and starting pitching are sorely needed this winter. I'd say we're three or four key pieces/moves away. I'm not gonna call the season a failure, but the postseason was definitely a disappointment.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's also funny how the Yankees, with the third highest payroll in 2019, made it to an LCS, as did three other teams in the top ten, but then perspective kicks in when five teams in the top ten didn't even make the playoffs, including the Mets, so truthfully, if I'm letting Mets fans get under my skin here, it's because they're the last ones who should throw stones in the glass house of "yeah you spend money but you choke."

And who exactly has said that here? The series was about the right result in terms of talent, there was no choke...maybe a little hubris trying to bullpen their way through the playoffs though some of that couldn't be helped with what happened with German a few weeks ago.

Fans from other teams can't comment on the Yankees now? I'll remember that the next time non-Met fans mock the Mets (and I wasn't even mocking the Yankees before).

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
And who exactly has said that here? The series was about the right result in terms of talent, there was no choke...maybe a little hubris trying to bullpen their way through the playoffs though some of that couldn't be helped with what happened with German a few weeks ago.

Fans from other teams can't comment on the Yankees now? I'll remember that the next time non-Met fans mock the Mets (and I wasn't even mocking the Yankees before).

It was an implied ask extenuating from critiques of the Yankees' "spend now, ask questions later" methods made in this thread, as if that's the reason they lost this series.

And fans of other teams can comment on the Yankees all they like, I mean, I can't recall a time when they didn't. :eyeroll:

Also, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I'm *not* salty. I mean, we're all Devils fans here, we know how that goes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well the George Yankees did spend first and ask questions later, they were pretty much the Rangers/Knicks until he got suspended, then George 2.0 backed off just enough after their prospects were allowed to develop during his hiatus...still, the last year or two is the first time I've heard the Yankees talk about luxury tax or a budget though George never had to contend with the tax so who knows whether he would have cared or not.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It's gonna be so cool when the Astros can't afford to keep this team together.

What about the yankees? Don't they have some notable young stars headed to arbitration? What is Hal's internal budget? The yankees window is ticking.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
What about the yankees? Don't they have some notable young stars headed to arbitration? What is Hal's internal budget? The yankees window is ticking.

They’re already on the hook for $148m+ in 2020 (lol at Verlander’s $33m) with the big money kicking in for Altuve and Bregman still making less than $13m, and Gurriel still making less than $9m.

Then, you still need new deals for Springer, Correa, and Osuna with them all potentially going to arbitration this winter. There is no comparison here.

EDIT: Yes, we have several young stars going to arbitration, and my post does have a bit of “well we’re the Yankees, we can afford anyone” pomposity to it, however, I’m relatively confident this team will be kept together. Really, the worst thing going for us right now is the Ellsbury money.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Between not hiring Girardi and the Nats being up 2-0 in the World Series heading back to Washington, I imagine there have been better weeks for Mets fans...

The Astros, meanwhile, may have very well saved the Yankees a bit of embarrassment in the World Series assuming they don't turn this around. :nod:

(Not to say I'd rather not be in it, because I would.)

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Between not hiring Girardi and the Nats being up 2-0 in the World Series heading back to Washington, I imagine there have been better weeks for Mets fans...

The Astros, meanwhile, may have very well saved the Yankees a bit of embarrassment in the World Series assuming they don't turn this around. :nod:

(Not to say I'd rather not be in it, because I would.)

The Nats nevered bothered me. They're perennial losers. Its nice to see a loser win once in a while.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The nationals will win and the wilpons won't care. if anything it'll let them say 'see, look how good our division is' and next year will be the same 84-87 win situation. If the Yankees won it would have actually bothered the 'Pons because they have a serious little brother syndrome when it comes to the Yankees, so much so that Jeffy and Fred wouldn't even trade Jay Bruce to them at the deadline in 2018.

I hate being a Mets fan and yeah, when the Nationals win on Saturday night it will suck and then we'll have to relive the agony during the Gnats home opener because of course we play them 6 times in a week to open the season (again)

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Nats nevered bothered me. They're perennial losers. Its nice to see a loser win once in a while.

Odd take.

This is a franchise that hasn't posted a losing record since 2011 (and it was 80-81 because they never made up a rain-out against the Dodgers), and has won the division on four occasions in that time.

Granted, if you look at their entire history, including Montreal, then yeah, loser franchise, haha.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
They're only considered perennial losers by some because they've never advanced past the first round until this year. I don't know how a Met fan could not be bothered by the Nationals honestly. They've owned the Mets since the magic August-September 2015 run and were responsible for some of the most embarrassing loses of this season which were the difference between them playing the Brewers instead of us in the Wild Card game.

Reactions: New Jersey

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
As a devils fan who has watched a fair share of players leave for money, I have a soft spot for their fan base since they lost Harper.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They're only considered perennial losers by some because they've never advanced past the first round until this year. I don't know how a Met fan could not be bothered by the Nationals honestly. They've owned the Mets since the magic August-September 2015 run and were responsible for some of the most embarrassing loses of this season which were the difference between them playing the Brewers instead of us in the Wild Card game.

They didn’t actually own us this year though. In fact the Mets won 12 of 19 against the Nats.

As a devils fan who has watched a fair share of players leave for money, I have a soft spot for their fan base since they lost Harper.

Ironically the rivalry against them also isn’t as acute without Harper there. Both teams really haven’t been good at the same time, the one time we were, we ran them down in 2015. You could count this year too except they didn’t beat us out because of head to head.

Last edited:

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The Mets are 133-145 against the Gnats since they moved to D.C. and that record is helped in large part by their bad early years when they Mets had decent teams from 2006-2008. Since the era of Harper and Strasburg it's been mostly Nats. 2012, 2014, and 2017 were particularly brutal.

Long story short, I don't care for them.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The Mets are 133-145 against the Gnats since they moved to D.C. and that record is helped in large part by their bad early years when they Mets had decent teams from 2006-2008. Since the era of Harper and Strasburg it's been mostly Nats. 2012, 2014, and 2017 were particularly brutal.

Long story short, I don't care for them.

I loathe Atlanta. I was a Met fan in the 90s when it was guaranteed the Mets would get swept. And watching them win the division for like 15 years and flop in the playoffs all but once just makes them enraging.

I hate the Phillies because f*** Philly

I think I hate the Marlins more because of their owners were/are scum. They happened to luck into two championships only to gut the team the following year. They put the nail in the coffin for the Mets season in 07 and 08. And so on

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny pierogi

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This has been one super odd World Series, all the home teams lost the first six games, and like five of them in blowouts. Only real takeaway is Cole and Strausberg (assuming he opts out) are gonna get paid this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->