OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well that was...memorable :P In a battle of the bullpens it came down to which closer blew it last.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No one not named DJ could get a big hit.

Everyone swinging for home runs when we needed a base hit.

No more of the Brett Gardner feel good retirement tour. I can’t take much more of Gary Sanchez.

Trade some of these “home run” hitters and get a f***ing starting picture and contact hitters.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do find it amusing that after all this bullpenning stuff tonight and in the last two years, the World Series ends up being a throwback with big-time starting pitching.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Trade some of these “home run” hitters and get a ****ing starting picture and contact hitters.

They'll probably be forced to get one in FA...the opportunities are there if they want, Cole and Bumgarner are FA's, Strasburg might opt out too. They clearly don't like to trade for pitching, one of the few times they did (Sonny Gray) it blew up. They haven't gone the FA route lately either, but the last time they did with CC and Burnett they won.

I like Cashman even as a Met fan, especially with his connection to the Devils but the dude's gotta start getting some heat right about now for one WS in two decades and more recently the failure to fortify the starting pitching.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
They'll probably be forced to get one in FA...the opportunities are there if they want, Cole and Bumgarner are FA's, Strasburg might opt out too. They clearly don't like to trade for pitching, one of the few times they did (Sonny Gray) it blew up.

you want darvish? have him…..for free

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Devils win. Yankees lose. That's a good day. A very good day.
I've been to a few establishments in the last 2 days where people were wondering why I was smiling at the televisions.

I had one person ask me why I like hockey and 2 separate ones inquire as to whether or not I'm from Texas.

Reactions: Patrik26

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I like Cashman even as a Met fan, especially with his connection to the Devils but the dude's gotta start getting some heat right about now for one WS in two decades
2000 isn't more than 2 decades ago.

:(

Oddly enough I was randomly thinking today about what bs it was for roidy mcgee to receive 0 repercussions for throwing a bat at a star player trotting to first.

Yankee fans will never get an ounce of sympathy from me, and frankly I find it difficult to see how a Devils fan can justify rooting for that team when they are cut from not just the same clothe, but sheared from the same alpaca as a rangers fan.

That being said, pulling for the nats here. Division rivals? Sure. But Texas generally blows and a Harper-less Washington winning the series while the rest of philly is shotgunning cheez whiz in to their savage arteries gives me goosebumps.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
2000 isn't more than 2 decades ago.

:(

Oddly enough I was randomly thinking today about what bs it was for roidy mcgee to receive 0 repercussions for throwing a bat at a star player trotting to first.

Yankee fans will never get an ounce of sympathy from me, and frankly I find it difficult to see how a Devils fan can justify rooting for that team when they are cut from not just the same clothe, but sheared from the same alpaca as a rangers fan.

That being said, pulling for the nats here. Division rivals? Sure. But Texas generally blows and a Harper-less Washington winning the series while the rest of philly is shotgunning cheez whiz in to their savage arteries gives me goosebumps.

Rangers were never run like the Yankees though. Lou tried to model how he run the Devils with how the Yankees were run in the 90s and 2000s.

A portion of the fanbase swear Cashman can do no wrong, but here we are again.

Team doesn’t have the starting pitching. It does not have the kind of hitting that wins in October. Contact hits in key spots.

I don’t give a rat’s ass how many HRs Sanchez hits in the regular season. The dude is never going to give you the big basehit in a key game. It’s not happening.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Rangers were never run like the Yankees though. Lou tried to model how he run the Devils with how the Yankees were run in the 90s and 2000s.
The fans are literally the exact same people, who just so happen to act accordingly.

And Lou may have emulated certain aspects of Steinbrenner's code of conduct, but Dolan is much closer to the spend first ask questions later model of pro sports 'management' that the yankees exemplified for decades.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The fans are literally the exact same people, who just so happen to act accordingly.

And Lou may have emulated certain aspects of Steinbrenner's code of conduct, but Dolan is much closer to the spend first ask questions later model of pro sports 'management' that the yankees exemplified for decades.

The low numbers. The no beards. Closed doors no fun. That’s all Lou wanting us to be the Yankees

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The low numbers. The no beards. Closed doors no fun. That’s all Lou wanting us to be the Yankees
Lou also would have had security throw people straight off of the balcony and on to the ice if they acted the way the creatures do.

It's easily the foulest collective behavior I've witnessed in the tristate area. And I was there when that dude got stabbed in the bathroom during a jets game.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

Yeah, ok, but like, Steinbrenner's spend first attitude literally won him more World Series titles (7) than the Rangers and Knicks have combined championships in their entire histories. So I'm not entirely sure that's an intellectually honest comparison, but hey, I'm just a fan.

It's also funny how the Yankees, with the third highest payroll in 2019, made it to an LCS, as did three other teams in the top ten, but then perspective kicks in when five teams in the top ten didn't even make the playoffs, including the Mets, so truthfully, if I'm letting Mets fans get under my skin here, it's because they're the last ones who should throw stones in the glass house of "yeah you spend money but you choke."

Lou also would have had security throw people straight off of the balcony and on to the ice if they acted the way the creatures do.

It's easily the foulest collective behavior I've witnessed in the tristate area. And I was there when that dude got stabbed in the bathroom during a jets game.

Yes, nonsensical taunts not rooted in fact directed at the mothers and spouses of professional athletes are literally as bad as stabbing another fan in a restroom at a football game. It's the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->