MLB regular season thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Fernandez has 60 innings left this year? Be interesting to watch that if they stay around.

I've heard more than a few analysts say the Marlins know they don't have much chance to re-sign Fernandez when he's a UFA so they likely just run him into the ground.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
i

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
second ballot. he got 67.3% of ballots last year in his first year on.

and yes, hoffman getting in opens the door for a lot of relief pitchers. k-rod, papelbon, kimbrel...even go back to john franco or something.

Ah, my bad. Forgot he was eligible last year. Or maybe tried to wipe it from my memory.

Edit: JFC 67%? Ugh.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I have been screaming to get rid of Dickey since the beginning of last season. I do not feel comfortable at all with him starting, permitting Toronto gets to the playoffs.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I've heard more than a few analysts say the Marlins know they don't have much chance to re-sign Fernandez when he's a UFA so they likely just run him into the ground.
Boras, Jose & The Marlins have all been working together on his pitching schedule. he is going to be skipping 1 start in August. Everyone involved has been very cooperative. Sorry to disappoint but nothing to see here and the Marlins are most certainly NOT trying to or going to try to run him into the ground.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Tigers tried to get 8 out of Fulmer and it backfires, Sox tie it up.

Miggy Cabs strikes, 4-3 Tigers in the 9th. Can K-Rod close another game out in this series?

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
K-Rod gets the day off, Wilson comes in and gets the save as the Tigers complete the sweep.

That brings them to 2 and 1/2 games out of the WC with J.D. Martinez and Zimmermann about to return from injury. Not to mention 12 more home games left to play than road games.

Meanwhile, Boston has now played NINETEEN more home games than road games. 22 of their next 28 games are to be played on the road.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Detroit sweeping Boston after the disaster on Sunday is crucial. They have a series against Houston next as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Because relievers aren't important players? It's like inducting Bunny Laraque into the HHOF because he was the greatest backup goalie in history.

Trevor Hoffman has a career 28 WAR. That's less than Howie Kendrick.

If Chris Sale's career ended today, he'd have thrown more innings with a higher WAR than Hoffman.

A reliever is a part-time player. They aren't important.

That Hoffman got more HOF votes than Mike Mussina (who threw almost 4x the innings and has 82 career to 28) is absolute insanity.

Went back to look at his stats, and then looked at Mariano Rivera.

Insanity @ Rivera. In the post season:

141 IP .70 ERA 21 BB's 110 SO's

Rivera is the only reliever in baseball history that should be in the BHOF.

His postseason resume is astonishing.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
hoffman eventually getting in will cast long doubts as to why edgar martinez isn't in.

they're both specialized positions. hoffman's just has a shiny counting number that he accumulated. his entire career was built around the fact that he basically threw 60 innings a year in situations to get saves. wonderful. he was never even the best at his position in the league, he led the league in saves one time. he's robb nen with 300 more innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad