GDT: MLB/Red Sox 2014 P5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Its infuriating that we had one of best starting rotations in baseball and we traded it away for nothing. Winning back to back titles means little to this ownership group.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Or if they offer him the going rate this time around, say, what everybody else offers. He looks at the situation and says "Wow, I was really uncomfortable in Oakland. I wonder if it'll be like that if I sign somewhere else. I was comfortable in Boston, I'd been there forever. Yeah, the effed up before, but they realized their mistake and are offering me what I deserve. I'm not comfortable starting over. I'm 31. I was comfortable in Boston so I'll stay there."

Again, just a guess haha I have no inside info whatsoever. But that's my take. If Boston offers what everyone else does, it wouldn't shock me to see that. Still don't see Boston giving him that, though, so it doesn't matter.

Sure, it's entirely within the realm of possibilities. I just think it's funny that they tried to nickel and dime him, had it blow up in their faces, and if they truly want him back, they're going to have to likely pay full market value. They're nonsense with the low ball offer is going to come back and bite them in the ass, which is nice. It would be pretty funny that they got Cespedes for him and then resigned him anyways though. It's just going to cost them a little more in AAV. For them it's really not an issue, they basically print money over there...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Its infuriating that we had one of best starting rotations in baseball and we traded it away for nothing.

It really comes down to what they get for Cespedes, since he clearly seems to be on the outs with the team right now. If they really do resign Lester and then flip Cespedes for something significant, that's not too bad.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Its infuriating that we had one of best starting rotations in baseball and we traded it away for nothing. Winning back to back titles means little to this ownership group.

I wouldn't call it nothing. They got pieces that they can either roll with next year, or trade for other needs.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It really comes down to what they get for Cespedes, since he clearly seems to be on the outs with the team right now. If they really do resign Lester and then flip Cespedes for something significant, that's not too bad.

If they resign Lester, I'll definitely change my outlook. Not paying this guy was ultra stupid and arrogant IMO. Luccino admitted on WEEI that they overvalued their young pitching so the FO knows they screwed up. Im not confident they will get anything for Cespesdes...

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We were out of the race before we traded away Lester and Lackey. What are you talking about?

How would you feel going into this season with Lackey and Lester? San Fran never traded away their staff during their off years. Going into this season with Buchholz as our #1 is ridiculous and anybody decent they are going to pay top dollar for. They easily could have extended Lackey and resigned Lester. In today`s MLB, pitching wins!!! Bottom line enjoy the 60-80 wins this year and the bridge the sox FO will sell you, while charging top dollar to attend a sox game. ( not you TTH, the fans)

Last edited:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
How would you feel going into this season with Lackey and Lester? San Fran never traded away their staff during their off years. Going into this season with Buchholz as our #1 is ridiculous and anybody decent they are going to pay top dollar for. They easily could have extended Lackey and resigned Lester. In today`s MLB, pitching wins!!!

This is certainly interesting. They extended both Cain and Lincecum after their performances, but didn't deal either one of them, and just had other guys step their games up. Albeit, both guys were in their 20s as opposed to our 3 guys, but it's an interesting point.

Team has to find a balance between bringing up their own guys and trading some for others/signing FAs. Don't mind them throwing a lot of money at 1 guy in FA. Especially a pitcher. Trade for lower rung guys, complimentary guys that'll help you win a ship. Let your stars come from within. The Bogaerts and Betts type guys.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So the Red Sox are going to offer Lester 6 yrs and over $20 per. Really? Lot of money for a guy who couldn't get it done in small market Oakland

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Please tell me you are joking.

Of course. I don't want Panda I do want Lester and Miller again. Btw good stuff to read on Gammons Daily blog about moves

I'd go aftwr Masterson for the back end

Lester is an anchor and would be great for team and generate great optimism

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But DKH, he did get it done in Boston. I'd take that deal in a second.

Boston has to go 6 someone will offer 7 and they have to go $20 per.

They need him
He can pitch here
No draft comp
Highest ticket prices WE aren't buying we can't afford

Arthur*

Better to give Lester $20 per than Shields $15 and be stuck in the Twilight Zone of mediocrity for 7 years.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
While there have been reports, most notably from Buster Olney of ESPN.com, that the San Francisco Giants are optimistic about re-signing Pablo Sandoval and that a deal could happen soon, an executive with another major league club said Tuesday that the Red Sox are "all in" on the free-agent third baseman and are making a big push to sign him.

Sandoval is seen as an ideal fit for the Red Sox because he meets their need for a left-handed bat (he's a switch-hitter), he plays third base (a black hole for the Boston in 2014), and he could ultimately succeed David Ortiz as the team's designated hitter.

"He's more of an American League player," said the executive, an allusion to the fact that Sandoval, who has remained nimble afield despite carrying considerable weight, might ultimately slow down defensively. "And he can really hit."

Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said Tuesday he met the day before with Gustavo Vazquez, Sandoval's agent, and that the sides had a "constructive" conversation.

More here: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11861086/boston-red-sox-making-big-push-sign-free-agent-pablo-sandoval

I know a lot of people won't like hearing that but I don't really mind it. I prefer never seeing WMB play for the Sox again, at least not as an everyday player. If that means 6 yrs, $100M+ to Sandoval, so be it.

bosox1001

Jun 8, 2013
Daegu
I have a feeling the Sox will definitely be opening up their wallets this year, but I just hope it's not on Hanley Ramirez or Shields.

I'm all for them going after Lester (we'd still have Cespedes and get our guy back, so that's a win), and I'd really like Sandoval; he's in his prime age for a hitter and he's excelled in his playoff runs in a baseball crazy market. They may be forced to overpay for him, as he's probably going to get more money than he's truly worth but I really don't feel any sympathy for the Red Sox. We're not a small market and small market teams seem to be spending more than they used to anyways.

Still not totally sold that it will make us a real WS contender next year, but maybe between those additions and if our younger guys develop like we think they will, then maybe we could really have another run over the next 2-3 seasons at least.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So the Red Sox are going to offer Lester 6 yrs and over $20 per. Really? Lot of money for a guy who couldn't get it done in small market Oakland

6 years 20 mil per sounds like a hometown discount to me, I would be surprised if he doesn't get 22-25 million per year over that span

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

There's glass half full...

There's glass half empty...

There's the glass half empty, cracked, and about to fall off the counter...

Then, there's KrejciMVP...:laugh:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Sox went 6 at $20m per, do you think that would trump a Yanks offer similar to what you suggested?

I do.

Last April when it should have been done? Yes

Now? Honestly he's nuts if he takes it now after they shipped him away

I don;t think it will be the Yankees, but as others said maybe the Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad