MLB proposes a cap floor of $100 million, lowering luxury tax threshold to $180 million

Sep 19, 2008
good

teams should be encouraged to spend more

teams like pittsburgh just skate by missing the playoffs fielding a AAA team with hideously low payrolls

at that point why even put a team out there if you're not playing to win?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
good

teams should be encouraged to spend more

teams like pittsburgh just skate by missing the playoffs fielding a AAA team with hideously low payrolls

at that point why even put a team out there if you're not playing to win?

so fans can get to go to that gorgeous ballpark by the river and not have to pay ridiculous ticket prices to do so.

and besides, the pittsburgh big league team is cursed. even the #1 overall pick can't save them so why try anymore

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
so fans can get to go to that gorgeous ballpark by the river and not have to pay ridiculous ticket prices to do so.

and besides, the pittsburgh big league team is cursed. even the #1 overall pick can't save them so why try anymore

It would help if they could draft well. Lots and lots of bad first round picks, with the crown jewel being Brian Bullington in 2002.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not sure how this would work. There are 10+ teams that don't spend 100 million now, and 5 that don't even spend 75% of that. Do they have to sign a bunch of mediocre players to vast overpayments just to reach the floor? Not sure how that helps competitive balance.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Not sure how this would work. There are 10+ teams that don't spend 100 million now, and 5 that don't even spend 75% of that. Do they have to sign a bunch of mediocre players to vast overpayments just to reach the floor? Not sure how that helps competitive balance.

They could actually keep a few of their players and pay them once they get past the first arb year, that would boost payroll

Reactions: SoupNazi

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
They could actually keep a few of their players and pay them once they get past the first arb year, that would boost payroll
Sure but maybe not to the 100 million dollar threshold. And for some teams, it doesn't really matter how much they spend, they will always be incompetent.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Sure but maybe not to the 100 million dollar threshold. And for some teams, it doesn't really matter how much they spend, they will always be incompetent.

Maybe not but they could at least keep a star or two and supplement with some other mid range guys rather than a team of Matt Joyce's and other journeymen

I know Cole was never staying in Pittsburgh but I feel like McCutchen might have stayed with a fair offer, yeah he has declined but he was beloved here, keeping him and a guy like Joe Musgrove and you are at least close to 100 mil and keeps the fans from having to endure the OF of guys like Kai'i Tom, Anthony Alford, Jared Oliva, and the other clowns they have run out there this year. Matt Gamel is like a prime Dave Parker compared to pretty much every other OF they trotted out besides Bryan Reynolds

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Imagine where Cleveland would be right now if the Dolans had to meet a 100m cap. Even in a rebuilding year they're still somehow playing decent games with a lot of their pitching staff out on long-term IR.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Imagine where Cleveland would be right now if the Dolans has to meet a 100m cap. Even in a rebuilding year they're still somehow playing decent games with a lot of their pitching staff out on long-term IR.

I'm convinced the Dolans would sell the team first, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm all for it and I think there will be a floor, but it won't be $100 mil. It'll be something lower that'll have a slight effect on a handful of teams...Something like $80 mil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad