MLB Philadelphia suing Phanatic mascot to prevent free agency UPD settlement reached

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, who does he think he is, the San Diego Chicken?

That was slightly different in the The Chicken was originally the brain child of a local radio station KGB who ran around all the San Diego sporting events to promote the station.

The character had become so popular in such a short time a rift developed between the man who played The Chicken (Ted Giannuolas) and the station over where he could appear.

So Giannuolas changed the outfit enough to avoid a copyright infringement and the name to The Famous Chicken.

Reactions: OddyOh

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Only observation comes in form of question.

Did Phillies pay the NY firm to create him?

If so I think it could be a short court case.

If he was created independently of Phillies they will lose.

One example is an artist named Riggs who created Eddie for Iron Maiden. He tried suing the band for Eddie's rights but because Maiden paid for the creation they had the rights.

Depends on what was in the creation agreement of the Phanatic. I could be wrong but I believe the phillies incorporated his name and looks and paid for his creation.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Only observation comes in form of question.

Did Phillies pay the NY firm to create him?

If so I think it could be a short court case.

If he was created independently of Phillies they will lose.

One example is an artist named Riggs who created Eddie for Iron Maiden. He tried suing the band for Eddie's rights but because Maiden paid for the creation they had the rights.

Depends on what was in the creation agreement of the Phanatic. I could be wrong but I believe the phillies incorporated his name and looks and paid for his creation.

From the Phillie Phantic's Wikipedia page.....

In his book Pouring Six Beers at a Time, [William] Giles wrote of the worst decision of his life when it came to the creation of the Phanatic. The design would cost $5,200 for both the costume and the copyright ownership, or $3,900 just for the costume with Harrison/Erickson retaining the copyright. Giles chose to just buy the costume. Five years later, when Giles and his group of investors bought the team from Ruly Carpenter, the franchise paid $250,000 to Harrison/Erickson for the copyright.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From the Phillie Phantic's Wikipedia page.....
If that is correct it will be a quick case. In this day and age copywrite is king. By owning the copywrite the owners can pretty much do what they want with the character and prevent others from using it. As long they paid the required fee that is. That is why there are good movies on YouTube copywrites were not renewed

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
It's "copyright", as in the right to copy, dangit! Sorry, but that's a damn pet peeve of mine!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the stupidest shit ever and I have seen a lot of stupid shit as a Philadelphian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad