MLB off-season news & notes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Fwiw and who knows since its Jim Bowden, he says on mlb radio that nats and Marlins two teams left in Jansen sweepstakes with nats leading.

I think this is just the head fake I'm going to see what's out there and LA is just going to match anything he gets. Jansen may be doing to teams what the White Sox did to the Nats. The Dodgers can't be that dumb to realize he was the main reason they got as far as they did and would be longshot to even make the playoffs this year without him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think this is just the head fake I'm going to see what's out there and LA is just going to match anything he gets. Jansen may be doing to teams what the White Sox did to the Nats. The Dodgers can't be that dumb to realize he was the main reason they got as far as they did and would be longshot to even make the playoffs this year without him.

You gotta remember Friedman is running the Dodgers and paying that much for a closer doesn't fit his M.O. They are also trying to avoid the new harsh luxury tax penalties and still need a 2B and 3B, which wont come cheap.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
You gotta remember Friedman is running the Dodgers and paying that much for a closer doesn't fit his M.O. They are also trying to avoid the new harsh luxury tax penalties and still need a 2B and 3B, which wont come cheap.

A Whitesox trade makes much sense.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
With the winter meetings behind us, what will happen with Quintana and who might be interested. I can see the Astros as the main target but I don't see them giving up the pieces required, unfortunately, to acquire a pitcher like Q.

With all the deals they made, I'm actually surprised they didn't make a bigger push for Chris Sale. Bregman is a solid piece to give up but they have more then enough depth to cover his loss and their core is really young so it's not as if they'd jeopardize the future by moving him.

Would the Yankees be interested? He's under control for the next 4 years and would fit their "rebuild" IMO.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Phillies has too many potentials starters currently in AA and AAA and need to trade some of them.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If that package was too rich for Houston's blood, they can just stand pat with all their youngsters and watch the Rangers run away with the division, again.

You do realize that is a really good package?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With the winter meetings behind us, what will happen with Quintana and who might be interested. I can see the Astros as the main target but I don't see them giving up the pieces required, unfortunately, to acquire a pitcher like Q.

With all the deals they made, I'm actually surprised they didn't make a bigger push for Chris Sale. Bregman is a solid piece to give up but they have more then enough depth to cover his loss and their core is really young so it's not as if they'd jeopardize the future by moving him.

Would the Yankees be interested? He's under control for the next 4 years and would fit their "rebuild" IMO.

With 4 years of control the Sox might keep him, with the prospects they have now they should be contending within that time frame. KC is likely done after this season, DET's time is done. Twins are going to be in for a long rebuild.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
He is annoyed yes. Cards should have been in on him from the get-go. He represents the biggest potential positional upgrade from a roster standpoint. Moreso than OF.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I'd have to agree.

Suffice to say I'm happier about this development than you are :P

Because, you know they are all about upgrading the defense so we'll roll with Peralta at 3B and use the comp pick on a CF that could be argued is as good defensively as the current CF. Just disregard the 4-5 win 2 way 3B just sitting there.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You do realize that is a really good package?

I do, but with all the additions they made, one would think they would've upgraded their rotation instead of stockpiling bats. When you're a move away, you let go of 2 or 3 prospects for a legit, yet very underrated, ace in Quintana.

Like I said, they can keep their prospects and watch the Rangers in their rear view mirror, again.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
There's no way in hell I'd pass that offer up.

Agreed... just saying that Houston has a ton of up and coming studs, they're built to win now but are reluctant to move a couple of prospects, in order to upgrade their weakest and probably the most important position, to actually compete with the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad