MLB Mets for sale; Wang potential buyer?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ChrisBottaNHL
I don't see Charles Wang as the answer for the Mets. 1) They would have spoken with him before today's public search for buyer.
2) Even if it led to arena in Queens, tough to see Charles Wang as a silent partner
3) Wang has already lost a few hundred million on the #Isles. Don't know if he would want to, or can, get involved in this investment
4) As Darren Rovell says, a partnership with Dolans on Mets and SNY makes a lot more sense.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Quick - queue up the Mets to Hamilton rumors. :)

Come on, kdb, you should know darned well Hamilton doesn't have the facilities! Winnipeg, however...;)

Although completely off topic, that does make me wonder how the facilities are at Le Stade Olympique, Telus Field, or Ottawa Baseball Stadium if the MLB or MiLB decided to add another Canadian team.

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
Come on, kdb, you should know darned well Hamilton doesn't have the facilities! Winnipeg, however...;)

Although completely off topic, that does make me wonder how the facilities are at Le Stade Olympique, Telus Field, or Ottawa Baseball Stadium if the MLB or MiLB decided to add another Canadian team.

Olympic Stadium is a concrete money pit pit that needs a full time tenant, Ottawa Baseball Stadium seats just over 10,000 and they now have an IBL team, and Telus field in Edmonton is 10,000 with an NAL team.

I doubt Canada is on the mind of MLB or MiLB, unless it's Vancouver.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
ChrisBottaNHL
I don't see Charles Wang as the answer for the Mets. 1) They would have spoken with him before today's public search for buyer.
2) Even if it led to arena in Queens, tough to see Charles Wang as a silent partner
3) Wang has already lost a few hundred million on the #Isles. Don't know if he would want to, or can, get involved in this investment
4) As Darren Rovell says, a partnership with Dolans on Mets and SNY makes a lot more sense.

However, some suggest that Dolan would want a say in the day to day operations and Wilpons said SNY is NOT part of the sale

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mets_looking_for_strategic_partners_SKA98x6OZD3UCsx1uICt2L

Jeff Wilpon, the team's COO, said the offer does not include interest in SNY or Citi Field.

member 30781

Oh, as a Phillies fan, please let the Wang rumor be true.

Agreed.

As if the Mets don't suck enough as it is, throwing Wang into the mix is like throwing a wrench in a motor.

Which I would be so please to see as a Phils fan.;)

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Like the Mets don't have enough going against them by just being in your division. Add this and it's like kicking them when they're down.

In a competitive sense, very true. But Wilpon may sell to Wang for a business partnership such as building an arena next to the Citi Field which could provide him cash year round and possibly offset Mets struggles on the field.

Last edited:

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Also as far as Dolan of the Rangers are concerned his uncles family happen to own the Cleveland Indians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Dolan

Lawrence J. Dolan (born February 8, 1931 in Cleveland Heights, Ohio) is an attorney and the owner of the Cleveland Indians....

Larry Dolan has 6 children, among them are Matt who was a State Representative, and Paul who worked for his law firm and was since named as President, and later Chairman/CEO of the Indians. Dolan has said his children will eventually assume ownership of the Cleveland Indians in his stead.

His nephew James L. Dolan owns the New York Knicks of the NBA and the New York Rangers of the NHL...

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cle

Lawrence J. Dolan Owner

Paul J. Dolan Chairman/Chief Executive Officer

My question is can Dolan of the Rangers even own a part of the Mets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad