MLB Extra Innings exclusively to DIRECTV/NHL CI future

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
MLB has reportedly reached a deal with DIRECTV to make the MLB Extra Innings package exclusive to DIRECTV starting in 2009.The deal hasn't been announced yet but there has been a significant backlash from digital cable and Dish Network customers

Extra Innings has been available to 75 million cable households and the two satellite services, DirecTV and the Dish Network. But the new agreement will take it off cable and Dish because DirecTV has agreed to pay $700 million over seven years, according to three executives briefed on the details of the contract but not authorized to speak about them publicly.

InDemand, which has distributed Extra Innings to the cable television industry since 2002, made an estimated $70 million bid to renew its rights, more than triple what it has been paying. Part of its offer included the right to carry the new baseball channel, but not exclusively

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/sports/baseball/20base.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

An extra $30 million.$1 million per.A utility IF costs $1 million

Here comes the NHL tie

Next up on cable’s out-of-market docket: the National Hockey League’s “NHL Center Ice” package, which expires after the 2006-07 season.

An NHL spokesman would only say that it has begun discussions on potential renewals with current partners

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6404687.html

I read an article in the Sports Business Journal in late December that DIRECTV approached the NHL about doing an exclusive deal with DIRECTV for NHL CI but the NHL said no

In addition to talks with MLB, DirecTV has approached the NHL about its out-of-market package, media sources said. The NHL demurred, since it has a rights deal with Comcast-owned network Versus

It looks the NHL CI will not be taking the MLB route of taking their package to DIRECTV

Comcast and Cablevision are two of the biggest cable operators in the United States and both are NHL partners.I wonder if indemand doesn't attempt to make NHL CI exclusive to indemand/digital cable customers.The cable companies are refusing to add the NFL network because of the NFL's agreement with DIRECTV

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Here, here, great news. Not everybody can get Directv. Some ppl, like myself would have to go out in the middle of the night and cut down my neighbors trees which are in the way of the signal.

If Directv does get CI exclusively, I guess I'll have to move.:eek:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Here, here, great news. Not everybody can get Directv. Some ppl, like myself would have to go out in the middle of the night and cut down my neighbors trees which are in the way of the signal.

If Directv does get CI exclusively, I guess I'll have to move.:eek:

I've seen people in extremely wooded areas get DirecTV. Do you live in like the middle of the forest?

Oh, and if the NHL went exclusive to EITHER cable or DirecTV, it would just be them alienating more of their fans.

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I've seen people in extremely wooded areas get DirecTV. Do you live in like the middle of the forest?

Oh, and if the NHL went exclusive to EITHER cable or DirecTV, it would just be them alienating more of their fans.

Yup, the middle of a forrest. Part of the forrest is on my property and part (the part that faces SW) is on my neighbors property.

I spose I could get it to work by putting the dish on a 120 foot pole.:eek:

Directv showed up to install it for me. The guy got out of the truck, knocked on the door and said, "You're refund check should arrive soon. Unless the neighbors trees are cut down(the forrest), you're screwed."

It worked for a month or so after I bought the house and then spring came.

Hopefully, when my area gets Verizons' Directv access all problems will be solved.

That or another Isabel would do the trick. :D Personally, I'll pass on another Isabel.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hahahahaha, that's pretty good. I like that. I wonder what they were thinking when they drove up. Probably thought you were Paul Bunyan or something!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The number of homes in the United States who have digital cable and access to NHL CI/NBA League Pass/MLB Extra Innings greatly outnumbers the DIRECTV subscribers

According to industry figures, 75 million of America's estimated 92 million cable/satellite households (82 percent) have access to the Extra Innings package.

DirecTV reaches just 15 million households, or 16 percent of available consumers

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...LYF?slug=dw-directv012307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The other 17 million have the analog systems

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hahahahaha, that's pretty good. I like that. I wonder what they were thinking when they drove up. Probably thought you were Paul Bunyan or something!

I had that deal where if you move, they come and install it for free. I asked the guy if there was ANYTHING (whatever the price) he could do to get it installed and he said,

"Yes, pick your house up and move it about 300 yards to the West".:biglaugh:

Getting the signal (with trees or other obsturctions) in the way is such a pain in the tookas.

The things I'll do to watch my hometown team play Football (from afar).

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Well I am les than thrilled with the decision. I want MLB EI and with no Direct TV here in Canada I will not be getting it. I was told by Bell Express Vu I "get enough baseball". Yes some woman on a phone from some call center somewhere tells me I am getting enough baseball. Center Ice could not possibly go exclusive to Direct TV and block off those in Canada from getting it.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Don't know why MLB EI would go exclusive for an extra 5 mill. That blows!
Extra $5M???

DirecTV bid $100M/yr ($700M over 7 years).

InDemand bid only $70M to keep the rights - a difference of $30M/yr and over $200M over the life of the deal.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The NHL also clamped down on the video game liscense monopoly as well. Copying the other 3 sports hasn't worked, so I think the NHL needs to distance itself from the pack.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
Believe it or not, alot of people who live in big cities cannot get DIRECTV. I live in a residential area of Brooklyn, so I have it. But alot of people who live in high-rises in Manhattan and even my dad who lives in a 3-floor apartment in Westchester cannot get the dish. Also considering that alot of people in Philadelphia would not be able to get DTV since they don't have Comcast Sportsnet (I believe this is correct), they would be shutting themselves out of alot of markets. So I don't see this happening.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Both Comcast and Cablevision (two of the largest Cable Companies) own NHL teams. Because of that I doubt the NHL (or NBA package for that matter) will go satellite exclusively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->