OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That doesnt mean much.If the Yankees decide they want him,they'll get him.Providing of course Harper would want to come here.Cashman understands we need more starting pitching and im sure thats priority #1,2 and 3 this offseason.We can compete with the lineup we currently have already providing Sanchez rebounds to his normal self and Stanton puts up his usual numbers minus a good 50-75 strikeouts and some smarter crunch time at bats.

The Yankees have never demonstrated that this is a priority.

And again, the right side of our infield is not MLB caliber.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cashman may be trying to wait out Harper, thinking in the end he'll sign where he really wants to play (Yankees). That's dangerous though as I don't feel like you really see guys take discounts to play where they want--it really is all about money at this point.

It's why I was so shocked that Shattenkirk took his deal from the Rangers; and Shattenkirk is exactly why guys no longer really do that. He took less to play here and in the end it's probably not going to work out for him here, so he basically took less money and had to forego a shot at winning anything. Or, Cespedes. Probably wouldn't have worked out for him regardless, particularly with the heels, but he probably left a decent amount of money.

(Not comparing NYY and NYR, just the general principle of why it's smart to take your money when you can get it at the expense of maybe not fulfilling a boyhood fantasy.)

Reactions: Bob Richards

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Cashman may be trying to wait out Harper, thinking in the end he'll sign where he really wants to play (Yankees). That's dangerous though as I don't feel like you really see guys take discounts to play where they want--it really is all about money at this point.

It's why I was so shocked that Shattenkirk took his deal from the Rangers; and Shattenkirk is exactly why guys no longer really do that. He took less to play here and in the end it's probably not going to work out for him here, so he basically took less money and had to forego a shot at winning anything. Or, Cespedes. Probably wouldn't have worked out for him regardless, particularly with the heels, but he probably left a decent amount of money.

(Not comparing NYY and NYR, just the general principle of why it's smart to take your money when you can get it at the expense of maybe not fulfilling a boyhood fantasy.)
See Corbin, Patrick

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
No idea how much if any Corbin would've left on the table to come to the Yankees. He's the one that requested the meeting but the Yankees never even made a competitive offer.
After being told that Corbin was seeking six years at Yu Darvish money (six years for $126 million) the Yankees responded that they weren’t going to go there. But after his visits to D.C. and Philly, Corbin asked if it would be ok if he came up to visit. The Yankees said they’d go 17-20 over 4/5 years, so $100 million was pretty much tops for their bid to land the onetime Yankees fan

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A lot of posturing going on here. Reports saying Yankees are interested in Machado and Harper but not willing to spend $300 million. Gonna be very interesting.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
A lot of posturing going on here. Reports saying Yankees are interested in Machado and Harper but not willing to spend $300 million. Gonna be very interesting.
I will be furious if they cheap out on either. It was one thing to be hesitant with Corbin who is a couple years older than Machado/Harper and is a pitcher who throws a ton of sliders, but i will riot if they dont break the bank for one of the two 26 year olds just because they want to strong arm them into taking less to be a Yankee. We are not a small market team so cut the shit out. They are going to make so much money off one of these guys in merchandise and ticket sales over their tenure here, as well as the main goal of winning not just one world series but multiple ones.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I will be furious if they cheap out on either. It was one thing to be hesitant with Corbin who is a couple years older than Machado/Harper and is a pitcher who throws a ton of sliders, but i will riot if they dont break the bank for one of the two 26 year olds just because they want to strong arm them into taking less to be a Yankee. We are not a small market team so cut the **** out. They are going to make so much money off one of these guys in merchandise and ticket sales over their tenure here, as well as the main goal of winning not just one world series but multiple ones.
This again?? They cannot afford to sign Machado or Harper to a $300m deal. That will just not happen. They will not have 3 players making $300m.

Now, the rebuttal. Of course they can afford it. They are the Yankees. Yes, they can afford to give it to them if you look at it with blinders on. But after they blow through the luxury tax threshold and they need to lay out between $1.50 on the dollar for every dollar spent on a free agent, that becomes VERY punitive. This has nothing to do with small market, big market. This is just the reality of having in place the system that MLB does as of now.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This again?? They cannot afford to sign Machado or Harper to a $300m deal. That will just not happen. They will not have 3 players making $300m.

Now, the rebuttal. Of course they can afford it. They are the Yankees. Yes, they can afford to give it to them if you look at it with blinders on. But after they blow through the luxury tax threshold and they need to lay out between $1.50 on the dollar for every dollar spent on a free agent, that becomes VERY punitive. This has nothing to do with small market, big market. This is just the reality of having in place the system that MLB does as of now.
Please stop. I understand the financials. Stop spending, or in this case budgeting, the Yankees money. They can afford it. And they can afford the luxury tax penalty moving forward. They have been decreasing their payroll in recent years for this free agent class. If Jose Fernandez was alive, you think they would be worried about the luxury tax when they have a drastic need for starting pitching? No, they would spend the money. CC and Gardners salaries come off the books after this season. They can opt to not pay Hicks and go with cheaper younger options such as Frazier. Tanaka’s contract will be up in 2-3 years. They have cheaper younger arms. At that time they can take the money saved and pay Judge and others.

Dont be frugal. Improve the team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dont be frugal. Improve the team.
This has nothing to do with being frugal, but with econimic realities. Bringing in a $300m contract now and the one that they will give Judge, will make it all but impossible for them to sign any other players. And while you mention the contracts coming off, you are not discussing the contracts that will be coming on. Betances, Severino, Didi, Sanchez are all going to get substantial pay increases. Want to sign Machado or Harper, then they need to trade Stanton first.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Harold [Choose Your Own Expletive] Baines in going into the HOF.

And not because he bought a ticket.

Seriously.

That's a thing.

A thing that has happened.

Someone posted the comparison between Baines and Keith Hernandez, and it wasn’t even close how much better Hernandez was. And, I don’t even claim that Hernandez is an HoFer. What a farce.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Someone posted the comparison between Baines and Keith Hernandez, and it wasn’t even close how much better Hernandez was. And, I don’t even claim that Hernandez is an HoFer. What a farce.
The biggest farce is keeping Steinbrenner out. What a joke. Bud Selig is in but Steinbrenner is not? It is undeniable how much influence he has had on the game. And what he orchestrated during his time.

What Baines is doing in HOF, I have no idea. Nor for that matter, Lee Smith.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The biggest farce is keeping Steinbrenner out. What a joke. Bud Selig is in but Steinbrenner is not? It is undeniable how much influence he has had on the game. And what he orchestrated during his time.

What Baines is doing in HOF, I have no idea. Nor for that matter, Lee Smith.

That one is definitely the politics of the game. I’m sure he doesn’t have the cheerleaders on his side like others in that room do.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
This has nothing to do with being frugal, but with econimic realities. Bringing in a $300m contract now and the one that they will give Judge, will make it all but impossible for them to sign any other players. And while you mention the contracts coming off, you are not discussing the contracts that will be coming on. Betances, Severino, Didi, Sanchez are all going to get substantial pay increases. Want to sign Machado or Harper, then they need to trade Stanton first.
This really illustrates how short sighted that it was to trade for Stanton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad