OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Everybody played that game with Greinke. He's a weirdo, he's not our type guy, etc etc.

And he's just gone out and thrown monster years for a decade without a peep.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
schoops had one good year in the bigs. .294 career OBP,
Eh the three years prior to last, he had an 86 game season with 1.3 fWAR, a full year of 2.2 fWAR, and a full year of 3.8 fWAR (bWAR is actually a lot more friendly to him). So that's solid-good starter production over three years with one year approaching All Star territory (where has was in fact an AS). He's not great, but I don't think he's as bad as last year. His BABIP dropped 40 points off his career average; otherwise his contact rates and types and everything look pretty identical to years' past. He seems like a good bounce-back candidate, and I'm guessing he's betting on himself that that's the case.

Two good years and an All Star year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Eh the three years prior to last, he had an 86 game season with 1.3 fWAR, a full year of 2.2 fWAR, and a full year of 3.8 fWAR (bWAR is actually a lot more friendly to him). So that's solid-good starter production over three years with one year approaching All Star territory (where has was in fact an AS). He's not great, but I don't think he's as bad as last year. His BABIP dropped 40 points off his career average; otherwise his contact rates and types and everything look pretty identical to years' past. He seems like a good bounce-back candidate, and I'm guessing he's betting on himself that that's the case.

Two good years and an All Star year.

He's an alright player. His babip wasn't really badluck driven. His hard contact rate dropped 10% from last year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's an alright player. His babip wasn't really badluck driven. His hard contact rate dropped 10% from last year.
It dropped 10% from his AS year. It only dropped a couple percent from his career average. And it was higher than in 2016 when he had his 2.2 fWAR/2.4 bWAR (and his BABIP then was basically right at his career mark--.305). Minor fluctuations can have major impacts. It is what it is. I'd wager he's much closer to a 2.5 WAR player than a .5 WAR player moving forward.

Before last year, he was a good player for three consecutive years. I don't really know how you can argue otherwise.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would be VERY leery of bringing in Greinke to the bright lights of NY.

He's pitched in LA.

That said, it sounds like the Yankees are too.

"As he prepares for his 21st season on the job, Cashman said he has experienced two face-to-face meetings — like the one with Corbin — in which “I walked out going, ‘We are crossing that one off the list. That’s not a fit for us in any way, shape or form.’” One of those was Corbin’s Diamondbacks teammate Zack Greinke, whom Arizona would like to trade."

https://nypost.com/2018/11/30/brian-cashman-what-will-decide-patrick-corbin-sweepstakes/

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
LA is easy. The press, the fans. No one is that passionate about anything. Obviously I'm generalizing but still. I lived out there, I've seen it first hand. It's like an enormous Midwest City.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LA is easy. The press, the fans. No one is that passionate about anything. Obviously I'm generalizing but still. I lived out there, I've seen it first hand. It's like an enormous Midwest City.

I went to grad school out there so I'm familiar with it as well.

NY its not, but it's not some small market in the middle of no where.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I went to grad school out there so I'm familiar with it as well.

NY its not, but it's not some small market in the middle of no where.
No of course not. But in terms of the spotlight, the pressure, I don't think it's even close to a NY, Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc. The atmosphere with sports reminds me more of St. Louis or something. It's why I laughed when they put TWO NFL franchises back in LA.

Just my opinion but I think LA is Lakers town. Dodgers are second fiddle. At least in terms of per capita passionate fans. :laugh: I don't think either the Rams or Chargers are even on the map yet. And the Angels, trying to pretend like they're LA. LOL.

Then you drive just a bit down the 5 to San Diego and people only care about the beach, veggie burritos, running, etc.

Reactions: Cassano and ponzu4u

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
No of course not. But in terms of the spotlight, the pressure, I don't think it's even close to a NY, Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc. The atmosphere with sports reminds me more of St. Louis or something. It's why I laughed when they put TWO NFL franchises back in LA.

Just my opinion but I think LA is Lakers town. Dodgers are second fiddle. At least in terms of per capita passionate fans. :laugh: I don't think either the Rams or Chargers are even on the map yet. And the Angels, trying to pretend like they're LA. LOL.

Then you drive just a bit down the 5 to San Diego and people only care about the beach, veggie burritos, running, etc.
I have found that sports fandom isn't nearly as passionate in warm weather locales.

Reactions: nyr2k2

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Buffalo Bills fans have to be insanely passionate just to make it a zero sum and justify their residency.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was living in Miami when the Marlins won in 1997. I heard some cars honking for about five minutes when the game ended. By the next day, it was like it never happened. That is partially why losing to them in 2003 stung me so much.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

The Rams are breaking football and their fans still don’t give a shit

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I want a major league second baseman and an established major league first baseman. The right side of our infield is currently Voit/Bird and Boris Grabbyasses.

If we got Schoop we'd still need a major league second baseman and an established major league first baseman.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Look, as someone who spent the last 16 years of his life in LA, before recently moving back to NY, I'm forced to take the unenviable position of defending their football fans. It's undeniably a Lakers town, as they're basically the basketball equivalent of our beloved Yankees. But no one there was asking for a football team. And for most people getting into football, they're likely going to their first or second ever football game. Not to mention the team is playing in arguably the worst stadium in the NFL. It's basically an expansion team coming to a city that wasn't even begging for a return of a beloved franchise or the righting of a wrongfully "stolen" team. The fandom for the Rams is steadily growing and will in time become just as obnoxious as their Laker fandom if the team keeps winning.

The one difference I have noted is that LA media seems decidedly less toxic than NY media, but I don't really know the reasons why. LA fans love winners in particular, but rather than take apart their teams when they aren't winning or good, they tend to just, kind of... ignore them.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

Disappointing.

That doesnt mean much.If the Yankees decide they want him,they'll get him.Providing of course Harper would want to come here.Cashman understands we need more starting pitching and im sure thats priority #1,2 and 3 this offseason.We can compete with the lineup we currently have already providing Sanchez rebounds to his normal self and Stanton puts up his usual numbers minus a good 50-75 strikeouts and some smarter crunch time at bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad