OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
was hoping patrick corbin would sign either with the yanks or mets...

hes a local kid. his parents are actually clients of mine. our kids went to same school and he graduated few years before my middle daughter.

parents are down to earth people. super nice and live in a very modest home.

just thought i would share that tidbit.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I was meh on Corbin anyway, but the premise here is absolutely spot-on.

The Yankees are saving money to line their pockets. There's absolutely no ulterior motive on-field as we've been led to believe.

"We're gonna make a big splash when the time is right!" This winter was the time.
Spending money isn't the issue...spending money wisely is...if u ask me..sign both Harper and Machado, and open up the prospect vault for kluber and sign happ

Kluber Paxton Severino Tanaka Happ Sabathia as yr long man and number 6

Lineup something like...

Gardner (LF)
Judge (RF)
Harper (1B)
Machado (SS...3b when did is healthy)
Stanton (DH)
Sanchez (C)
Gleyber (2B)
Andujar (3B) (or he's traded for kluber...)
Hicks (CF)

He'll go nuts on the bullpen as well. SPEND ALL THE MONIES!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
BVW next move needs to be a big time pass on realmuto if its gonna cost us conforto or nimmo.

grandal is sitting there waiting to become a ny met.

he addresses a huge need. great defensively, good arm and solid switch bat with power. makes the staff even more solid.

no brainer.

sign a legit setup guy for diaz and im happy with this lineup hoping cesspool can make a late statement come august and carry us to the playoffs.

as for pollock, hes too brittle for me for the $$ hes looking for. juans already got that covered.

i like the young bats in this lineup.

nimmo
conforto
alonso
mcneil
rosario

excited for the season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Spending money isn't the issue...spending money wisely is...if u ask me..sign both Harper and Machado, and open up the prospect vault for kluber and sign happ
Having $1.2 billion invested in 4 players (one of which is a DH) is hardly the example of spending wisely. And that is before you get to what it will cost to spend on Sanchez, Didi, etc.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
DO IT BITCHES!

And I don't see any way that he'll be back. Hes going to make a decent chunk of coin that I don't think they'll be willing to spend after this year. I'm expecting them to land one of the 2 big fish.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Having $1.2 billion invested in 4 players (one of which is a DH) is hardly the example of spending wisely. And that is before you get to what it will cost to spend on Sanchez, Didi, etc.
1.2 billion is over the life of the contract...not anually.

Who cares what the Yankees spend in a non cap league where they basically print money.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Also it's worth noting that it's not like these are trash players. They are superstars....overpaid sure...but superstars.

When the Yanks won in 09 I didn't care that arod was making...30? Million...I just cared that they won.

I didn't care they gave out big money to Tex, cc, aj, etc...I just cared they won.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There's a luxury tax, and you can end up paying a 50% tax really easily if you spend wildly. I mean if you just go reckless like you're proposing, that $240M payroll becomes a $360M payroll in a matter of years, just on tax, not even figuring in any raises you would have to give to the guys you want to keep like Judge, Andujar, Torres, etc. And then that $360 goes up even further. I mean you can make up your own numbers based on the moves your proposed, but the point is even the Steinbrenner family probably isn't looking to carry a $400M payroll every year.
Hells yeah...let's go big or go home!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The payroll doesn't have to be obscene. It would be nice if it was top 5. It's not like they don't have it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1.2 billion is over the life of the contract...not anually.

Who cares what the Yankees spend in a non cap league where they basically print money.
They do as the amount that is spent over the cap directly affects the amount that they spend on free agents. Your scenario would essentially have them spending two dollars for every one. That is the luxury tax. They sign a player for $100m, but it actually costs them $200m. That's why they care and will continue to care and (truly sorry to bust the fantasies) they will NOT build a team like the one you are proposing.
When the Yanks won in 09 I didn't care that arod was making...30? Million...I just cared that they won.

I didn't care they gave out big money to Tex, cc, aj, etc...I just cared they won.
You are talking about times before the luxury tax was so punitive.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I wonder if the Yankees would engage with talks with the Diamondbacks for Greinke and if they could get a deal similar to the Cano deal between the Mets and Seattle.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I wonder if the Yankees would engage with talks with the Diamondbacks for Greinke and if they could get a deal similar to the Cano deal between the Mets and Seattle.

there was an article in the post last week about how Cashman and team have interviewed 2 people during free agency and walked out of the interview saying 'yeah, that guy isn't going to work here"

one was un named, the other was grienke.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
there was an article in the post last week about how Cashman and team have interviewed 2 people during free agency and walked out of the interview saying 'yeah, that guy isn't going to work here"

But Greinke isnt a free agent? Do you mean a management meeting?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I hadn't seen this. Why did he say Greinke wasn't going to work?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's a little cheap for Schoop, no?
Given that he was a 2 WAR player 3 years ago and a 4 WAR player two years ago, yeah it seems like it. I know he sucked last year, but still. I guess it's a "show me" deal. Still thought he could find more $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad