OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gray and Stanton were terrible acquisitions.

Gray was half-assed. We were never getting an elite pitcher out of him. We need another elite pitcher. I would open the cupboard and get Bumgarner or DeGrom. f*** the prospects. Anyone not on the Yankees is available. That includes Florial and Sheffield.

Stanton is a good player and there's certainly a place for him in today's game. From our standpoint, I just never saw the need. This team was already too RH-heavy and too power-heavy after the 2017 season, so they went out and got a RH two-outcome hitter.

We made the big splash on the last thing we needed instead of making the big splash where we desperately needed help. Why? Because Stanton has a terrible contract and Cash was able to make headlines while still hugging his prospects. He has to nut up and stop hugging his prospects. Judge is 26 going on 27. The window is right f***ing now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gray was half-assed. We were never getting an elite pitcher out of him. We need another elite pitcher. I would open the cupboard and get Bumgarner or DeGrom. **** the prospects. Anyone not on the Yankees is available. That includes Florial and Sheffield.

Stanton is a good player and there's certainly a place for him in today's game. From our standpoint, I just never saw the need. This team was already too RH-heavy and too power-heavy after the 2017 season, so they went out and got a RH two-outcome hitter.

We made the big splash on the last thing we needed instead of making the big splash where we desperately needed help. Why? Because Stanton has a terrible contract and Cash was able to make headlines while still hugging his prospects. He has to nut up and stop hugging his prospects. Judge is 26 going on 27. The window is right ****ing now.
I read an interview with Dombrowski literally today, and he was talking about Sale, and he said:

"When you have a chance to win, you go for it. Sometimes, it’s painful. You can’t do both. You can’t protect all of your prospects and also trade for good guys. You’re not going to get Chris Sale unless it hurts a little bit. Everybody has to make their own decisions, but for us, it made sense, and he’s been just tremendous for us.”

AL East Notes: Cron, Dombrowski, Yankees

And he's right. You reach a point when your core is really good and you need one guy or maybe even a couple guys to push you over the top and you have to go get them. You have to pay that painful prospect price and go get it.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I read an interview with Dombrowski literally today, and he was talking about Sale, and he said:

"When you have a chance to win, you go for it. Sometimes, it’s painful. You can’t do both. You can’t protect all of your prospects and also trade for good guys. You’re not going to get Chris Sale unless it hurts a little bit. Everybody has to make their own decisions, but for us, it made sense, and he’s been just tremendous for us.”

AL East Notes: Cron, Dombrowski, Yankees

And he's right. You reach a point when your core is really good and you need one guy or maybe even a couple guys to push you over the top and you have to go get them. You have to pay that painful prospect price and go get it.

Great post, totally agree.

We held prospects at the right time. From 2012-2016 we could have been better, but we really weren't that great and it wouldn't have been worth it. Now those prospects are Judge, Stanton, Severino, Betances, etc. You could even argue that holding onto Torres and Andujar was wise because they filled holes on the big club in short order.

Now things have changed. We have a good idea of who we are the MLB level. Now that the last group has graduated and exceeded expectations, this current group has to be ammo to make us better now.

Like I said, Judge is already 27 in 2019. Another Judge might never come along. Don't waste it.

I'll give Cashman a mulligan on this past winter because like I said, we still had holes and weren't sure if Andujar/Torres were going to fill them. Now we know and there's no reason to not spend huge this coming winter, both in free agency and in trades if need be.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When I bad mouth Machado, don't get it twisted, I'm all for having him at 3B and moving Andujar across the diamond. 100%.

I just don't want Machado as a Didi replacement. He's an awful shortshop.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
When I bad mouth Machado, don't get it twisted, I'm all for having him at 3B and moving Andujar across the diamond. 100%.

I just don't want Machado as a Didi replacement. He's an awful shortshop.
They can always sign Machado for 3B and trade for a SS with the deep farm system. I think Cashman is gonna kick tires to acquire Profar, like he has been for a large part of the past 8 seasons.

If Andujar isn't traded - it's likely that Cashman hasn't acquired an ace this offseason w/o parting with him. That would be a failure of an offseason.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Dombrowski was always a guy that loves trading away prospects for established players. It backfired for him in Detroit and time will tell what happens in Boston. Trading prospects can be risky because you don't know what you have. Expos traded away Phillips, Sizemore and Lee in the same deal. Brandon Phillips was a good player, Cliff Lee won CY and a ring and Grady Sizemore was Trout-lite before Trout but had his career ruined by injuries.

I wouldn't trade Sheffield. We need pitching and he could be a big piece for us in 2019.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Dombrowski was always a guy that loves trading away prospects for established players. It backfired for him in Detroit and time will tell what happens in Boston. Trading prospects can be risky because you don't know what you have. Expos traded away Phillips, Sizemore and Lee in the same deal. Brandon Phillips was a good player, Cliff Lee won CY and a ring and Grady Sizemore was Trout-lite before Trout but had his career ruined by injuries.

I wouldn't trade Sheffield. We need pitching and he could be a big piece for us in 2019.
He kept the most valuable guys it seems like. Benintendi, Devers, Mookie, etc.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My man posted a video of Stephen f***ing A Smith and Max kellerman trying to discuss baseball...

giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We could trade him for a pitcher that will definitely be a huge piece for us in 2019.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Once he gets paid Machado will be more than happy to go to 3B. He wanted to play shortstop this year especially because a top notch SS is more valued than top notch 3B.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Once he gets paid Machado will be more than happy to go to 3B. He wanted to play shortstop this year especially because a top notch SS is more valued than top notch 3B.

So what you're saying is, a team is going to severely overpay him knowing he's just gonna slide back to the corner after cutting the check

And FWIW, he's actually +6 in DRS at SS in 420+ innings since joining LAD. Was a -18 in Baltimore. I don't know what you'd draw from that. Relatively small sample. Maybe LAD is putting him in better initial position? Could make sense, he has the arm and hands to play short but the range is suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->