MLB and the new rivalry with Boston

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by Big Z Man 1990, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Big Z Man 1990

Big Z Man 1990 Registered User

Home Page:
    In case you haven't noticed, Boston-Tampa Bay has developed into a pretty nasty rivalry in baseball (they're playing in Game 3 of the ALDS now).

Do you think this rivalry will carry into in the NHL? I think so, especially since the baseball teams are playing each other in the playoffs now.

2. The Macho Man

The Macho Man Lusty Bodychecker

I don't think baseball rivalries will have much of an impact on hockey rivalries. Yankees-Red Sox is the biggest rivalry in sports... Bruins/Rangers is a mild distaste at most.

3. Ricebox

Ricebox Registered User

Lightning - Bruins has had a small rivalry for some time now, at least since that 2011 Eastern Conference championship, but i don't think the MLB will make it any different.

4. NHLeitner

NHLeitner Registered User

Playoffs are what build rivalries. Rays/Sox either meet in the playoffs or battle for the AL East championship each year (2012 doesn't count. No YOU shut up!). I think that's why I always considered the Lightning's rival to be the F-ing Capitals.

Familiarity breeds contempt, high stakes familiarity breeds what all the Canadian media creams themselves over every time the Habs play the Leafs.

5. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Stammer Time

Until we regularly make the playoffs I don't see us having a true rivalry in the NHL. Boston could've been one but we were never really a threat to them (both in the standings and on the ice) after 2010-11. The games against Washington are always a battle, especially since both teams tend to score a lot of goals and each team had/has several high profile players (Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green). Sweeping a divisional rival in them in 2010-11 was the icing on the cake but that was almost three years ago now. Realignment didn't help and I expect things to cool off even more with the Caps. And Florida? Yeah they're nearby but I have a feeling most people just don't care enough for it to be a true rivalry (probably because both teams were just terrible over the past few years). Maybe if both teams met in the playoffs one day...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. bassassin

bassassin Registered User

If the Lightning become relevant again then maybe. It was a hard fought round but that was a few years ago. Until then...I mean do bottom dwellers really have rivals?

7. chasespace

chasespace Registered User

On the ice? No.

In the stands(during the MLB Postseason)? Maybe.