MLB 2023 schedule. 30 teams open 3/30. London series. Play at least one series against all teams

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Ok. Look at 2016-2019.

Attendance was slipping before pandemic.

By no means am I suggesting baseball has zero fans. The big, and mid markets, will always survive.

Just it's not what it once was.
St. Louis, Missouri is the Biggest baseball city in the country. The Browns once drew 80,922 fans for an entire season in the 1930’s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is how they will keep and attract fans. Showcasing your top talent is a good start.

Angels have one of the best players of all time and a modern day Babe Ruth; it can only help the league to expose them to more fans.

Reactions: oknazevad

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hear a lot about baseball expansion, not much about it actually happening. It was less than 20 years ago they were going to contract.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
They've said outright that they're waiting on the Tampa Bay and Oakland situations to be settled before officially pursuing expansion.

I say officially because there's been quiet work behind the scenes for years and Montreal is a shoe in already.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Hopefully those situations will be settled within the duration of the current CBA and with both teams staying in their current markets.

Nashville should be the other expansion team, we should be good on MT/PT teams until MLB goes from 32 to 40.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I hear a lot about baseball expansion, not much about it actually happening. It was less than 20 years ago they were going to contract.
#1 - Like oknazevad says, they gotta get new stadiums for OAK and TB before expansion. COVID slowed them down, too.

#2 - Contraction was a CBA negotiation ploy. Loria burned the Expos to the ground, the fans saw he was satan, and the owners were crying poverty leading into CBA talks. They were talking contraction solely trying to "get something" in negotiations with the union for "NOT eliminating 50 union jobs"

They've said outright that they're waiting on the Tampa Bay and Oakland situations to be settled before officially pursuing expansion.

I say officially because there's been quiet work behind the scenes for years and Montreal is a shoe in already.

Yup. Think of it this way, @GKJ -- almost two years ago, the Phillies hired away the President of Baseball Operations from the Nashville Stars. Who, you know, don't technically exist. Yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad