MLB 2021 season...proposed 1 month delay, 154 games, full player pay

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

The union has steadfastly rejected the expanded postseason proposal in talks this winter, believing it would disincentivize teams’ willingness to spend if it would be easier to qualify for the playoffs. The proposal, with rosters mostly set, would be only for the 2021 season, which the two sides agreed to last season just hours before Opening Day.

MLB players union expected to reject proposal to delay start of season

Union expected to rejected this offer. I thought expanded playoffs would actually motivate middle of the pack teams to spend more for a shot at making postseason. Top teams would remain motivated as they aim to win the championship and survive longer playoffs.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The San Diego Padres, who had the second-best record in the NL last year but had a 4 seed because they were in second place, should probably push for the removal of seeding priority for division winners. I want the second-best team in a league to have the #2 seed, even if the #1 seed is in the same division.

Reactions: nofehr

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

MLB players union expected to reject proposal to delay start of season

Union expected to rejected this offer. I thought expanded playoffs would actually motivate middle of the pack teams to spend more for a shot at making postseason. Top teams would remain motivated as they aim to win the championship and survive longer playoffs.

It more likely has the opposite effect. Mediocre teams know they can stay mediocre and have a shot. Top teams have less incentive to improve, especially starting pitching staffs, knowing they can get by 4 starters.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The San Diego Padres, who had the second-best record in the NL last year but had a 4 seed because they were in second place, should probably push for the removal of seeding priority for division winners. I want the second-best team in a league to have the #2 seed, even if the #1 seed is in the same division.

That's not how seeding works in any league. division winners get higher seed no matter the record is. MLB owners would never approve such a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->