OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
They need to come down on them HARD. Loss of draft picks, ineligibility for international signings, suspension of all players involved for 100 games and ineligibility for playoffs, banning of coaches involved, etc. This is worse than Pete Rose betting on his own games imo. These dudes should all be barred from the hall of fame as well. They need to destroy these guys so that nothing like this ever happens again.

"Forfeiture" of the world series does nothing for me tbh. It isn't enough.

Reactions: tr83

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
David Lennon (@DPLennon) Tweeted:
Still very early in the investigation, but serious discipline for Carlos Beltran, such as a suspension, would appear to be a longshot, according to a source. Beltran was a player on ’17 team, and Astros’ higher-ups seem to be more of the target here. #Mets

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hopefully this costs Beltran the job with the Mets. The last thing that team needs is a manager with 0 experience.

But beyond that, the cover-up in this case is nearly as bad as the crime. It's obvious Beltran's a flippin' liar & low-character individual to not come clean at this point.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This is a great compilation of them stealing signs and signaling it to the batters by banging garbage cans in the dugout and by whistling the "Charge!" sound. This franchise is a bunch of scum bags

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh you can't really ding Beltran or Cora TOO much, that's unneccesarily sticking it to the Red Sox and Mets, who had nothing to do with it (and in the Red Sox' case they were also affected negatively by the Astros chicanery in the 2017 playoffs, let's not forget that, so then they'd be getting dinged on both ends for it). Fine em up the wazoo and make them each manage the whole season for free but unless evidence comes out they were THE mastermind(s) I doubt any long suspension should be in order. You want to give Beltran a nominal suspension for lying/obstructing the investigation well okay but it's hard to tell what's really 'fair' since there's no template for this.

Ultimately the hammer's gotta fall on Hinch and Luhnow, the buck stops with them...suspend them for a year, take away draft picks and international signing money for multiple years. You gotta find a way to put some teeth behind the punishment a la the Saints and Bountygate. Ding any coach still on the staff that was a part of it. I can't hold all the individual players responsible even though they all benefitted...if any of them were of particular interest masterminding it like Sal Evers on the '51 Giants that's something else.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cora and Beltran were allegedly instrumental in setting up and creating this scheme. They are also investigating the Red Sox so they must have some reason to believe Cora tried to adopt it in 2018 in Boston.

Beltran also definitely spilled the beans to the Yankees in his short stint as an advisor. He claimed he was teaching the pitchers about tells, but you can’t buy that.

Cora absolutely should face a suspension when this is all said and done. Possibly Beltran too. Hinch should be banned from baseball

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Didi was a free agent.

But yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t pony up the money for him because they are giving Cole all the money.

Rumors it’s going to be close to $300 million over 8 years.

It's gonna be more than Strasburg. I actually think Strasburg is worth a touch more and has proven to be the better player but we'll see.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's gonna be more than Strasburg. I actually think Strasburg is worth a touch more and has proven to be the better player but we'll see.

There's really no comparison with Cole's two years in Houston compared to Strasburg's last two years and Strasburg is still a top ten pitcher in the league. But Cole's been otherwordly. He's getting more, no question. Especially since Stras wanted to stay in Washington in the first place.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

RG0BS1U.gif

Reactions: Emperoreddy

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The vaults have definitely reopened for business in baseball again after a year or two of analytics and the luxury tax keeping contracts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->