Mitchell and Greene's Value to this Team

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
As I compare this year's run to the last, it becomes increasingly obvious how Mitchell and Greene factor into our team's equation. I believe the goaltender and defense corps are a much bigger factor to how far a team can go in the postseason than most people think. You can have all the offense you want, but a team is driven to success by their defense.

It's easy to evaluate a lot of players in this league purely on stats. I like to go beyond that. Who will go the extra mile in the postseason. Who will spill blood for their team and lead by example. When you look at certain players like Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Williams, Richards..these guys clearly raise the level of their game when it matters. I think it could be argued that Voynov should be included in that.

When Greene came back to the team, he was clearly not ready to be inserted back into the lineup for playoff hockey. However, since coming back it is easy to see the impact he's had both on and off the ice. The players all remark about how much of a leader he is. The dude will clean guys out of the net so Quick can see the puck. He does all the little things you want to see.

I think Mitchell is probably even more important. I *REALLY* hope he comes back next year. I'm still undecided at this point who to try to sign between Scuderi and Regehr. I think both have lost a step..that's a judgment call.

It's good to see Muzzin getting some experience. It's pretty obvious that he still isn't conditioned for playoff hockey, but i'd probably keep him over Martinez. He's bigger and has a better shot. He just needs to get more disciplined mentally. Martinez has the capability of producing such great games, but then he becomes a total goober for whatever reason. I think having him paired with Greene last year covered a lot of that up.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Defense wins championships, right? With Greene and Mitchell, I do think being a leader/a big part of the locker room bit plays in to it a lot. Obviously great players and with veteran experience, but not irreplaceable on the ice, but probably more so in the locker room.

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
I think the Kings need to find a LONG term replacement for Mitchell. Because its looking like Sutter isnt interested in him anymore. And there is no way they would try and re-sign him after his contract is over. He`ll be 2 more years older and coming off a season where he played 0 games. And I know we signed him under those circumstances before but not this time I dont think.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Missing a whole NHL season and then some is not a good sign...Mitchell might be done.

Regehr has been solid. Martinez lost his job to Muzzin.

But, yes, part of the reason we won last year was Greene, Mitchell and Scud's paired with DD, Martinez and Voynov.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I think the Kings need to find a LONG term replacement for Mitchell. Because its looking like Sutter isnt interested in him anymore. And there is no way they would try and re-sign him after his contract is over. He`ll be 2 more years older and coming off a season where he played 0 games. And I know we signed him under those circumstances before but not this time I dont think.
This is huge, but it highlights the problem. Yes, Mitchell is a crucial component, for a variety of reasons. However, top-pairing defenseman who are good in the playoffs and are not ridiculously paid don't grow on trees. The only reason we were able to get him in the first place was that he was coming off an injury and it was essentially a gamble. We got him at a discount because his future was so uncertain. Now, the gamble paid off handsomely, but it'd be difficult to even find another player with whom we could make the same gamble, never mind having one pay off so well.

I think a long-term replacement for Mitchell is the top priority for the offseason, well before a scoring left wing. However, I think it's pretty unlikely. My guess is that ultimately his replacement (who is NOT Regher, not by a long shot) will have to come from within.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There are no options in free agency that would be an adequate replacement for Willie Mitchell. The best move would be to bring Regehr and Scuderi back into the fold. At least they're familiar with the team and the organization knows what they're getting with those two. Bring in someone else and it may take them longer to adjust.

In the meantime, they could look to develop Forbort into that Mitchell type of player who knows how to use his size and reach and could get the puck out of his zone quickly. The Kings must also re-sign Matt Greene soon, possibly this summer, as he has one year remaining on his contract.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
Hal Gill (via trade), Mark Fistric, Doug Murray, Andrew Alberts, Scott hannan, or Steve Eminger. Anyone can pick apart any defensive dman's game

Mitchell and Greene were labeled as "pylons" before they got here. Same could be said for Regehr. They were the right players for us though. Defensive dmen get a bad rap because their mistakes usually lead to goals. These guys don't have to be spectacular, they just need to slot in, block shots, and clear the crease in order to maximize the potential for Doughty or Voynov.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Hal Gill (via trade), Mark Fistric, Doug Murray, Andrew Alberts, Scott hannan, or Steve Eminger. Anyone can pick apart any defensive dman's game

Mitchell and Greene were labeled as "pylons" before they got here. Same could be said for Regehr. They were the right players for us though. Defensive dmen get a bad rap because their mistakes usually lead to goals. These guys don't have to be spectacular, they just need to slot in, block shots, and clear the crease in order to maximize the potential for Doughty or Voynov.

Mitchell was never labeled as a pylon. He was a key piece to the Vancouver defense, it was the concussion that forced him into free agency. Even then he was pursued by 4-5 teams.

Greene was considered a young #5-6 guy when he came to the Kings. It was his leadership and physical play that helped him emerge as a key guy, even though playing that role as a bottom pairing D man.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Mitchell was never labeled as a pylon. He was a key piece to the Vancouver defense, it was the concussion that forced him into free agency. Even then he was pursued by 4-5 teams.

Greene was considered a young #5-6 guy when he came to the Kings. It was his leadership and physical play that helped him emerge as a key guy, even though playing that role as a bottom pairing D man.

Yeah if Mitchell didn't have a history of concussions he'd be getting paid a lot more than he is now, and most likely not on the Kings.

Ron*

64b26a468e9dc1cf6e99f7d965368e7c_normal.jpeg

Willie Mitchell ‏@Willie_Mitch33
Inspiring quote "It WILL hurt. It WILL take time. It WILL require dedication and sacrifice. But it WILL be worth it." @LAKings #lakings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad