Mitch "The Magician" Marner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs are not a dump and chase team? I will agree Marner is the first player back, but he would also be the first player back on any Leafs line, that's his game going back to JR.

Correct but he wasn't counted on to be the first player in, that's the difference.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes, without a doubt he would have been more successful playing with Hyman and Matthews and most likely playing with Kadri and Komarov.

A player of Marners talent is being wasted when he is charged with being 1st on the puck in the Offensive Zone and 1st back in the Defensive zone.

Leafs brought in Marleau to perhaps help this and continue the "scorched earth" plan to undo the Burke past by earmarking both JVR and Bozak because they're both flawed players, lazy, soft and weak defensively.

However they were still at the beginning of the season seen as the better offensive players that is why they started the year as the top line and #1PP unit. Also among the most experienced.

Wonder how Willie would have done playing all year with JVR and Bozak and the #1PP unit statistically?. Something Babcock never tried because he knew that would weaken the line defensively even more and Nylander received early criticism for not engaging and puck hunting enough, something no one would ever criticize Marner for.

The only chance Marner would have had to play with Zach and Auston would have been if Nylander would have worked and competed harder and been better defensively. But as the weakest of all the 3 Amigo's he needed to be sheltered by better defensive players so Kadri and Matthews the only real options where to play him.

PS. Hyman is the 1st man back and 1st man into the offensive zone for his line and it lowers his offensive potential.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs brought in Marleau to perhaps help this and continue the "scorched earth" plan to undo the Burke past by earmarking both JVR and Bozak because they're both flawed players, lazy, soft and weak defensively.

However they were still at the beginning of the season seen as the better offensive players that is why they started the year as the top line and #1PP unit. Also among the most experienced.

Wonder how Willie would have done playing all year with JVR and Bozak and the #1PP unit statistically?. Something Babcock never tried because he knew that would weaken the line defensively even more and Nylander received early criticism for not engaging and puck hunting enough, something no one would ever criticize Marner for.

The only chance Marner would have had to play with Zach and Auston would have been if Nylander would have worked and competed harder and been better defensively. But as the weakest of all the 3 Amigo's he needed to be sheltered by better defensive players so Kadri and Matthews the only real options where to play him.

PS. Hyman is the 1st man back and 1st man into the offensive zone for his line and it lowers his offensive potential.

:handclap: Absolutely, he's the right man for the job.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It was his first year both as a pro and playing against men , relax his first year at every level has been a learning experience , his second year at every level he becomes magic . Mathews had pro experience in Europe when we drafted him and Nylander has several years so should be ahead of the other two developmentally .Marner couldn't play in the AHL last year so he stayed with the big club for his first pro season ,he always learns what he needs to do to succeed at the new level and does it . It doesn't matter who he plays with he makes blue chips out of scrubs at every level .Just as Bozo and JVR had career years last year 2 very lucky guys are going to have awesome years this season playing with this kid , and as usual a whole lot of haters here are going to see why we drafted him 4th overall .

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Noble: Marner is pound for pound one of the strongest players in NHL (TSN1050)

Dan Noble, director of athlete performance at the Hill Academy and trainer of Mitch Marner, joined Dave and Matt Cauz to discuss Marner’s underrated strength, his NHL potential and how smaller players are thriving in the league.

On how Marner succeeded despite his size as a rookie:

Even now, when he comes in to train, I think people don’t even recognize him. They see this kid walk off the street and into the gym and people are like, “He looks familiar, but there’s no way that guy plays in the NHL.†The one thing I tell people about Mitch is people underestimate how strong he is. He is probably, pound for pound, one of the strongest players in the NHL. I know people might argue with me about that and might think that’s crazy, but the kid is 170 pounds bouncing back and forth and can back squat 400 pounds parallel and has incredible body control.
I’m not big on trying to turn Mitch into a weight lifter and that’s not what he is. I think it’s important as a performance coach to recognize what your athlete is. Mitch is an F1 race car and you need to treat him like that and understand what makes him unique — his speed and his explosiveness and his ability to control his body in tight situations and get in and out of corners without getting hit and put through the boards.
In terms of our approach with him, it’s all about maintaining that and just becoming the absolute best at being as fast and as quick with the change of direction and being strong on the puck and strong on his feet. From a single-leg perspective and power, he can use his abilities and the strength that he has, rather than just being OK and strong. Mitch is never going to be 220 pounds and you don’t want him to be.
Dan Robson came in and did an interview with him and Doug Gilmour in our gym last week. It was interesting hearing them both talk about their first-year experiences and what they were like. Doug Gilmour said he was 150 pounds his first year in the NHL. I think for Mitch it is all about understanding who he is as a player and not trying to be something he’s not and continuing to focus on where his strengths lie.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
One of JVR's biggest strengths is going to the net.

You either generate a scoring chance, or your short-handed. JVR won't be getting back into the play any time soon.

Because Washington could easily exploit this, JVR really didn't go deep. You constantly saw him taking low percentage perimeter shots. Less offense, but less chance you're giving the Capitals an odd-man rush.

That line is like a Cement truck/1975 Camaro/Alfa Romeo 4C. Maybe the sports car wasn't running 100%, but it's still out-performing and getting limited by the weakest link. Think there's a reason JVR trade-rumours keep coming up.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
One of JVR's biggest strengths is going to the net.

You either generate a scoring chance, or your short-handed. JVR won't be getting back into the play any time soon.

Because Washington could easily exploit this, JVR really didn't go deep. You constantly saw him taking low percentage perimeter shots. Less offense, but less chance you're giving the Capitals an odd-man rush.

That line is like a Cement truck/1975 Camaro/Alfa Romeo 4C. Maybe the sports car wasn't running 100%, but it's still out-performing and getting limited by the weakest link. Think there's a reason JVR trade-rumours keep coming up.

one of the reasons I think Leivo would function well in JVR's place is that he's a much more effective shooter from the high slot, and I think Marner/Bozak would generate a ton of clean looks for him from there

His foot speed probably mean that the Leafs give up some odd man rushes, but he doesn't have to be deep as often as JVR is, while still being effective at playing in front of the net when the play goes that way

plus, that line should continue to get softer matchups, so the damage against you would hope is limited

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
one of the best passers and offense creators in game right now, you gotta give a player like this big strong good scorers preferable left handed

with matthews, jvr, and marleau...theres options

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Marner is going to be the 2nd best player from that draft class when all is said and done.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
one of the best passers and offense creators in game right now, you gotta give a player like this big strong good scorers preferable left handed

with matthews, jvr, and marleau...theres options

That's why I would like to see him play with Kadri and Uncle Leo.

Kadri outscored JVR this season, can we believe that? That's unbelievable.

So why not?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Matthews is a Franchise C, Marner and Nylander have the ability to be Franchise Wingers. It's truly amazing. If we can keep these 3 and ice a solid team around them I don't see how we don't win a cup at some point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is a Franchise C, Marner and Nylander have the ability to be Franchise Wingers. It's truly amazing. If we can keep these 3 and ice a solid team around them I don't see how we don't win a cup at some point
Nylander has the ability to be a Tyler Seguin like center, and that type of center behind a true all-around guy like Matthews will be unstoppable. Nylander is unlikely to become that true #1 teams aspire to build around, but he absolutely can become a high-end offensive center in the Seguin/Stamkos (current Stamkos, not Stamkos with MSL) mold. While Matthews can be the more traditional number one, similar to how Tavares or Crosby is deployed. I'd think Matthews offense is of too much value to see him deployed fully like Berergon/Toews/Kopitar, but if Willy's offense explodes while being used as a center it could be.

Marner absolutely could be a game-changing winger next year. These 3 combined with Kadri signed to a sweetheart deal are the core of our forwards and give Babcock a lot of options on how to deploy them. You want a strong top 6 you go

xxxx-Matthews-Marner
xxxx-Kadri-Nylaner
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
or can shift into

xxxx-Matthews-Marner
xxxx-Nylander-xxxxx
xxxx-Kadri-xxxxx

We obviously have guys who fill those roles right now, but long-term they have to be viewed as interchangeable filled with good draft picks and savvy UFA deals (aka 1-year show me deals or guys chasing a cup on a 1 year).

Really excited to see what Marner can do next year. The percentages he rode last year, and the company it puts him with has me slightly worried about expecting notable progression (I expect Willy and Matthews numbers to rise more), but he has such good vision and overall awareness, I would not be shocked to see him being a guy who can maintain an oiSH% in the 9's long term like Patrick Kane.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nylander has the ability to be a Tyler Seguin like center, and that type of center behind a true all-around guy like Matthews will be unstoppable. Nylander is unlikely to become that true #1 teams aspire to build around, but he absolutely can become a high-end offensive center in the Seguin/Stamkos (current Stamkos, not Stamkos with MSL) mold. While Matthews can be the more traditional number one, similar to how Tavares or Crosby is deployed. I'd think Matthews offense is of too much value to see him deployed fully like Berergon/Toews/Kopitar, but if Willy's offense explodes while being used as a center it could be.

Marner absolutely could be a game-changing winger next year. These 3 combined with Kadri signed to a sweetheart deal are the core of our forwards and give Babcock a lot of options on how to deploy them. You want a strong top 6 you go

xxxx-Matthews-Marner
xxxx-Kadri-Nylaner
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
or can shift into

xxxx-Matthews-Marner
xxxx-Nylander-xxxxx
xxxx-Kadri-xxxxx

We obviously have guys who fill those roles right now, but long-term they have to be viewed as interchangeable filled with good draft picks and savvy UFA deals (aka 1-year show me deals or guys chasing a cup on a 1 year).

Really excited to see what Marner can do next year. The percentages he rode last year, and the company it puts him with has me slightly worried about expecting notable progression (I expect Willy and Matthews numbers to rise more), but he has such good vision and overall awareness, I would not be shocked to see him being a guy who can maintain an oiSH% in the 9's long term like Patrick Kane.

If Willie moves to C, I actually see Marner being on Kadri and Leo line. Matthews will have Hyman and Brown, while Marleau and Kap will be on Willie's line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad