Mitch "Selke" Marner

Will Mitch, at some point, during his career win the Selke?

• Total voters

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Man, this isn’t meant as a criticism of Marner... but charts like that show just how rare it is for leafs to have elite players.

Edmonton’s been around for 1/3rd the time, and I just saw that they have almost as many 60 assist seasons from DEFENSEMEN. Once you include forwards in the mix, things get real ugly.

Doesn't say anything other than the Leafs haven't had elite teams very often since the 1960's. Before the 1967 expansion, a grand total of 1 player in the entire history of the NHL had broken the 60 assists mark (Stan Mikita, 1966-67, 62 assists, at the time a league record).

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
and we finally have legit elite talent all over the lineup.....and leafs fans are angrily reminiscing about the gritty undertalented teams of yesteryear.
It’s as though it’s SOOO rare for the leafs to have elite talent, that even the front office got overwhelmed and just threw at them all the money in the world, without any consideration to what that would do to our depth.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Doesn't say anything other than the Leafs haven't had elite teams very often since the 1960's. Before the 1967 expansion, a grand total of 1 player in the entire history of the NHL had broken the 60 assists mark (Stan Mikita, 1966-67, 62 assists, at the time a league record).
Ah, so it’s only been 60 years of humiliating rosters. I feel a lot better now...

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Again, that chart was just for people who don't understand xGA/60 RAPM.

As I said in my first message, he's not Laine, P. Kane, McDavid bad or even Matthews bad for that matter, but he's not good.

McDavid is good defensively.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I've only heard some chatter about this recently. I can see him getting a handful of votes but enough to be considered a finalist. Maybe at some point in the future? It'll be tough, it's been a long time since a winger has won. (Jere Lehtinen won his 3rd in 02-03)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He'll probably get some votes/consideration at some point if he keeps that up.

Toronto players tend to get completely overlooked/underrated for major trophies though.

To be fair, we've literally had nobody worthy of legit Norris, Selke, Hart, Vezina, etc consideration for at least 10 years.

Matthews won the Calder, Andersen was 4th in Vezina voting last year (he should have been a bit lower IMO), and Babcock was a Jack Adams finalist in 2017, so those are some recent examples of us being treated fairly IMO.

Rielly this year is a legit Norris candidate, so we'll see how that goes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
McDavid is good defensively.

McDavid is one of the worst defensive forwards in the entire league. He's also (bar none/by far/absolutely/not close) the best offensive forward in the league, and overall the best player (ainec imo).

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Matthews has been rolling lately. He went on a cold streak, fair, but many need to stop with this narrative.
Until he can do it consistently, there's no reason to stop. when he's not on a hot streak, he's invisible every other night and sometimes many nights in a row. He'll get a goal or assist in a few of these games but he isn't making superstar plays. He'll half dangle a defenseman then just pass it off to a linemate five feet from him who's forced into making a play.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Until he can do it consistently, there's no reason to stop. when he's not on a hot streak, he's invisible every other night and sometimes many nights in a row. He'll get a goal or assist in a few of these games but he isn't making superstar plays. He'll half dangle a defenseman then just pass it off to a linemate five feet from him who's forced into making a play.

I suggest you rewatch his goal from the Tampa game. Guy has 63 points in 56 games and if healthy would be on pace for a career year.

Another thing is he has evolved his game since entering the league... part of that evolution is his concerted playmaking abilities, which are reflected in his numbers.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
I suggest you rewatch his goal from the Tampa game. Guy has 63 points in 56 games and if healthy would be on pace for a career year.

Another thing is he has evolved his game since entering the league... part of that evolution is his concerted playmaking abilities, which are reflected in his numbers.
He's on a roll right now. When he isn't hot he looks invisible out there. There's been a number of games where his line is hemmed in the zone half the time and they don't spend any time cycling in the opponent zone. Hopefully he stays hot now, he has great potential. And they should keep nylander with him

Reactions: Once

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
McDavid is one of the worst defensive forwards in the entire league. He's also (bar none/by far/absolutely/not close) the best offensive forward in the league, and overall the best player (ainec imo).
One also has to consider what that player's role is and the team around them. Really it would be unfair to say Bozak was bad defensively being on the ice for 92 goals against when he would be playing more then half the game opening up the flood gates trying to tie it up. He didn't suddenly become that much better or worst by later cut that total in half. How many times is McDavid having to try and put the team on his back? What's Connor Brown's role and the team around him? Being an very low risk, quiet +12 on a team with risk taking players.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Marner is an incredible talent. When was the last time a Leafs player had 90+ points? Marner is going to be that guy.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Is there a guy on the Leafs who is a better defensive forward? Is there a guy on the ice the at same time as Mitch that is a better defensive forward? Bergeron maybe but the gap in defensive play between those two is as big as a hair.

Take the Edmonton game for example, Mitch was anticipating passes by his opponents before his opponents made the pass, there were a couple of plays in that particular game that were just simply amazing. The Oiler player was skating with the puck, Mitch read that he was going to do a drop pass before the player actually put the puck to the back side of his blade, Mitch had his stick in position and stole the puck.

I can't recall the Leafs ever having a forward who is so good defensively.

Will Mitch, at some point, during his career win the Selke?

He was doing the same things in the Calgary game that western trip. He is zoned in to the Nhl now like every other league he played in and crushed eventually.

Now he is crushing it in the Nhl. I'm not surprised. Not being arrogant here, i just had that confidence in him.

He's a superstar on the way up further i believe. He's going to get a big big contract and everyone will dump on Dubas like they know better.

Dubas has his best player coning up for renewal and i believe he gets a 8 year deal @ $ame as Matthews.

Reactions: Bluelines

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner is an incredible talent. When was the last time a Leafs player had 90+ points? Marner is going to be that guy.

To be fair to kessel and Sundin... they didn’t play on teams with a line mate as skilled as Tavares, nor did they play on teams with the offensive depth as today’s team. Not to mention this era is much higher in scoring then back then.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Why are unblocked shots from the slot a good indicator of Mitch's defensive abilities?
Yeah ,it really is easier to just watch him play! Stat it up all you like ,he is usually the best player on the ice and thinks 2 steps ahead of most players as well,which could very well break the trend of a center winning a Selke.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
When Mitch is on the ice, the team sees 14% increase in unblocked shot attempts. It's not all on him, but notice the top-right part where he plays compared to the left-side (primarily Hyman).

Thats just a visual anyway.
Are you seriously gonna base 'unblocked shots' as an important aspect? Cuz it isn't! Do you see his back-checking,his anticipation,his steals as a non factor! The hell are you watchin'?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
and we finally have legit elite talent all over the lineup.....and leafs fans are angrily reminiscing about the gritty undertalented teams of yesteryear.

This poster . Just the most hilarious when it comes to finding wrong with possibly way to many things;)

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
He'll probably get some votes/consideration at some point if he keeps that up.

Toronto players tend to get completely overlooked/underrated for major trophies though.

I mean we have sucked for some time. Thankfully, the dark days are over

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It’s as though it’s SOOO rare for the leafs to have elite talent, that even the front office got overwhelmed and just threw at them all the money in the world, without any consideration to what that would do to our depth.

And just whats wrong with our depth. Oh yes yes, Nothin....

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
One also has to consider what that player's role is and the team around them. Really it would be unfair to say Bozak was bad defensively being on the ice for 92 goals against when he would be playing more then half the game opening up the flood gates trying to tie it up. He didn't suddenly become that much better or worst by later cut that total in half. How many times is McDavid having to try and put the team on his back? What's Connor Brown's role and the team around him? Being an very low risk, quiet +12 on a team with risk taking players.

When McDavid is on the ice, the oilers both get pummeled with hd chances and he pummels other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad