Mitch Marner vs William Nylander

Mitch Marner vs William Nylander

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner has the edge due to his youth, but so far they’re essentially neck and neck in terms of skill and skill outputs. Marner has been better at some things, Nylander others. There is no substantial gap (though that won’t stop some folks making mountains out of molehills tontry and say otherwise) between them, though obviously that may change in future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander is not the line driver on his line, Matthews is. When Matthews wasn't going in the playoffs Nylander was completely invisible. Marner on the other hand looked very very good in the playoffs and actually produced, because he is the line driver on his line.

Nylander makes a matthews better and vice versa. There’s not much tangible evidence that shows Marner drives his line any more than Nylander does.

Reactions: Trilliann and Morgs

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Except Marner/Matthews has terrible numbers when playing together and Babcock refused to further that failed experiment despite fans and media whining for them to play together.

But Marner is clearly a 90 point player just because and stuff

I could be wrong but i dont think they have played togeather very much at all.

I remember one game they got on the ice togeather and marner set up matthews for a goal in like 15 seconds of ice time

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I still think Nylander could pull ahead in the future. I think he is more skilled than Marner is, he just doesn't have the same drive that Mitch brings.

Yeah, I admit the recency effect got me to hit Marner now and future without much, thought. Marner was the Leafs best player in the playoffs. Nylander was a liability.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I remember one game they got on the ice togeather and marner set up matthews for a goal in like 15 seconds of ice time
They haven't played much together, some feel it is a way for the Leafs to limit their earnings on their RFA contracts.
Turns out it even if true it won't matter, both are way too skilled.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Nylander makes a matthews better and vice versa. There’s not much tangible evidence that shows Marner drives his line any more than Nylander does.
I'm pretty sure (id have to double check) Matthews had a higher scoring output when paired Hyman and Brown as opposed to Hyman and Nylander at 5v5 in his rookie year so that could potentially be debatable as well. I can't really speak for there CF% as I haven't really looked into that to recently.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018

Sample size has been small but underwhelming results.

I'm just irked at how underrated Nylander is becoming. Probably projecting on Marner a bit on my end.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
People saying that it's not close are out to lunch. Would probably vote Marner but it is very close.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I chose Marner. If Nylander doesnt have a big, 2 way center on his line to do a lot of the heavy lifting he doesnt look as good. Theyre perfect together, Nylander has a lot of skill to make up for Hymans lack thereof, but hes pretty soft and benefits from what I think is a perfect line combo for him.

Marner is younger and carries his own line, plus hes deadly on the PP which helps a lot in a short series. I wouldnt think twice about who I would take if one of them was coming to Detroit for free

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Sample size has been small but underwhelming results.

I'm just irked at how underrated Nylander is becoming. Probably projecting on Marner a bit on my end.

I don;t think Nylander is underrated at all. Nobody disputes that he is a very good young top line RW who has skill in fact there are only about 15 to 20 RW players I might take ahead of Nylander in the short term less in the long term it just so happens that Marner is one of them. While he has the potential to play center however unless an injury occurs chances are he will always be a winger who can take the strong side face-offs and slide to center if injury occurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad