Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It's not surprising everyone in the north division is having a career year. The division sucks. Rantanen had a slow start to season and ended up looking better.
The average GA for a team in the West Division (Colorado's division) is 164. The average GA for a team in the North is 162. The narrative that the North is bad is stupid and old.

That being said I do take Rantanen here. Just wanted to point out stupid logic.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Marner is the better player. He does it all for Toronto.
200.gif

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Marner plays with two of the best scoring C centres of the past 50 years. He passes them the puck because they like to shoot. He's a team player that is adapting his game to help his linemates.

If you put Marner with a normal C that is more pass first I think Marner could put up 45G 55A in a full season.

With a puck hog like MacGinnon you would see Marners assists plummet but 60G is not too far fetched.

Keep dreaming.

Playoffs:

Rantanen 38GP 15G 33A 48P +17

Marner 32GP 5G 18A 23P -3

One is not like the other. I can see Marner contributing more when it counts - for the opponent...

Reactions: Fivealive5

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Definitely not Marner, dude is a big game choker. Maybe Leafs fans will finally put some value into playoff performances because its not even close between these two.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Keep dreaming.

Playoffs:

Rantanen 38GP 15G 33A 48P +17

Marner 32GP 5G 18A 23P -3

One is not like the other. I can see Marner contributing more when it counts - for the opponent...

Damn. Rantanen is a stud in playoffs. 38 games is starting to be a decent sample size to boot. Over 1.2ppg is elite.

Marner has issues. 0.71ppg is not nearly good enough for a player of his caliber.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Playoffs does factor in, but is there a huge difference simply because Marner has sucked in the playoffs? I'm not sure I think there is.

Reactions: Dache

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Playoffs does factor in, but is there a huge difference simply because Marner has sucked in the playoffs? I'm not sure I think there is.
I think the playoffs is the difference between the two. In the regular season they’re the same level players, similar PPG, but ones a better scorer vs playmaker. Both top 5 wingers and both franchise center pieces. But Marner scores at a .78ppg pace in the playoffs where Rantanen is a 1.26ppg. That monumental difference is what puts Rantanen over Marner.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mar 26, 2010
Marner sure proved how Insignificant he really is. He does not belong in this poll anymore.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lmao can't believe i voted for 16. He might have one of the worst contracts in the league. Regular season great, playoff beer leaguer.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I felt like this was troll vote. Watched a lot of Avs and Leafs this year and Mikko is at another level imo. I mean totally different players, size, skill set .. but I would take Mikko over Mitch all day and I love Mitch (playoffs excluded).

Reactions: Ippenator

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Problem here is, Marner is not playing with fringe PO team. He's integral part of a legitimate contender on paper. I could understand and give him some leeway if he and Matthews were dragging the team in to playoffs, a'la Selanne/Kariya ducks. There just simply is no reason for this. Marner can still have a turnaround and god knows he's talented as they come. But as long as Rants keeps up with him in RS and absolutely destroys him in PO's I can't anymore vote for Marner. I retracted my vote of too close to call and voted Rants.

Reactions: Mac Attack

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I still wait to see a positive input about a Finnish player from you? Hope there hasnt been a history with an elderly Finnish male...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad