Mitch Marner vs Johnny Hockey

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ok now we’re just arguing semantics. I’m talking about the importance of a player to a line. To argue that Marner with 69 points (many on thePP)was driving his line to the point that JG was is just ridiculous. Marner and JVR and to a lesser extent Bozak were equally important. JG was a PPG player who clearly was head and shoulders the best player on his line and the best forward on his team.
I’m not sure how I can make this any clearer to be honest. So at this point I’ll move on.
Except you claimed he couldn't drive a line. Play absolutely ran through him and he dictated the pace that line played at. The entire game-plan when he is on the ice at 5v5 is get Mitch the puck so he can create opening and set up dangerous chances with his passes. Marner was more important to how that unti functioned than JVR. I'm not saying JG wasn't better last year on his line, but Marner has more room for improvement and the gap isn't that sizable. I also never argued Marner drove his line at the level of Gaudreau, but he wasn't a passenger and was the most important player on his line at 5v5.

Gaudreau has played with a better offensive player than Marner has, at least center-wise in his career.

Reactions: authentic

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Except you claimed he couldn't drive a line. Play absolutely ran through him and he dictated the pace that line played at. The entire game-plan when he is on the ice at 5v5 is get Mitch the puck so he can create opening and set up dangerous chances with his passes. Marner was more important to how that unti functioned than JVR. I'm not saying JG wasn't better last year on his line, but Marner has more room for improvement and the gap isn't that sizable. I also never argued Marner drove his line at the level of Gaudreau, but he wasn't a passenger and was the most important player on his line at 5v5.

Gaudreau has played with a better offensive player than Marner has, at least center-wise in his career.
I never said that Marner was a passenger. Not once. And I never said he couldn’t drive a line. I believe he can and probably will this year. Where we disagreed was on whether he drove his line the last two years.
I apologize if you took my post as insulting Marner. That wasn’t my intention. You’re usually a pretty reasonable poster so maybe my post could have been taken that way. That was not my intention and I’ve certainly said lots of positive things about Marner in this thread. I’ve also said it’s a silly poll to compare two players at different stages in their careers.
I think very highly of JG as I’ve seen him burn the Canucks repeatedly. He’s my choice in this poll. No disrespect intended to Marner who is a fine young player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I never said that Marner was a passenger. Not once. And I never said he couldn’t drive a line. I believe he can and probably will this year. Where we disagreed was on whether he drove his line the last two years.
I apologize if you took my post as insulting Marner. That wasn’t my intention. You’re usually a pretty reasonable poster so maybe my post could have been taken that way. That was not my intention and I’ve certainly said lots of positive things about Marner in this thread. I’ve also said it’s a silly poll to compare two players at different stages in their careers.
I think very highly of JG as I’ve seen him burn the Canucks repeatedly. He’s my choice in this poll. No disrespect intended to Marner who is a fine young player.
Fair enough. I felt play was built around him for whatever line he was on. But, I am fine with agreeing to disagree.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Same logic applies to Marner, does it not? He'll bank 90+ pts this season. You can screenshot this if you want. If any leaf were to score 90+ points, I'd bet it would be him, over Matthews, Tavares, etc.

Hope that puts things into perspective
So if they both score about 90 points but Marner plays with Tavares (and that ridic pp) then what?

Gaudreau is the answer here. Although I love marner’s game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->