Mitch Marner vs Johnny Hockey

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Marner separates himself from Gaudreau this season.
maybe catches up but not separates...Gaudreau has already had better seasons than Marner...first Marner has to hit PPG+ before he can be deemed better than...

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Gaudreau still. He'll still probably outscore Marner despite the huge gap in quality of linemates.

Could only imagine what Gaudreau would do with Tavares and Matthews (on PP).

Stand in between center ice and his team's blue line and wait for Matthews or Tavares to forward him the puck?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
aka;

"I've never watched Marner play before."

I’ve watched him benefit from the threat of Auston Matthews drawing the top defenders attention while Marner gets more free space to work against weaker defenders.

Teams don’t go into games against the Maple Leafs game planning to stop Mitch Marner. Teams do go into games against the Flames game planning to stop Johnny Gaudreau.

Being the focal point of the offense is more difficult, the same reason why Crosby is considered better than Malkin, because he is always the one focused on, making his job harder, yet still produces similar numbers.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Gaudreau is the driver behind the Flames offense, Marner has the luxury of being a passenger on the Leafs offense, a skilled contributing passenger but a passenger nonetheless.

Voted Gaudreau.

I mean do you even watch the Leafs play?

I’m fine with anybody taking Johnny hockey but Marner is not a passenger. He drove his line when he played with Bozak and JVR and when he was put with Naz and Marleau halfway through the season. So far this year, he’s the catalyst on a line with John Tavares and on a PP that features : JT,Rielly,Matthews and Kadri

He’s anything but a passenger

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
What odd logic. Gaudreau dominated in college hockey, he wasn't there because of lack of talent.
Marner, in his D+2 season, put up the same numbers as Gaudreau in his D+4 season. Marner then put up better numbers in his D+3 season, and although his D+4 season is not determined yet, we all know it's going to be much higher than Johnny's D+4 season.

Now obviously Johnny has put up a couple of ppg seasons since then, but Mitch looks to me like a higher potential player and could possibly put up a ppg this season and he's younger.

How's that logic?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Same story as the past couple of years.... “Marner will be better this season...”

Realistically how many people actually watch the Flames play (leaf fans) when the game is at 9, 10 or 10:30pm EST?

Canada is fed Leaf media content down the throats.

I set the bias that we all have for our own players, but holy shit does Gaudreau get underrated in these polls against leafs players by leaf fans.

Reactions: Snowman

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Marner, in his D+2 season, put up the same numbers as Gaudreau in his D+4 season. Marner then put up better numbers in his D+3 season, and although his D+4 season is not determined yet, we all know it's going to be much higher than Johnny's D+4 season.

Now obviously Johnny has put up a couple of ppg seasons since then, but Mitch looks to me like a higher potential player and could possibly put up a ppg this season and he's younger.

How's that logic?

Johnny had a 72 game season in there but casually leave that out.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I’ve watched him benefit from the threat of Auston Matthews drawing the top defenders attention while Marner gets more free space to work against weaker defenders.

Teams don’t go into games against the Maple Leafs game planning to stop Mitch Marner. Teams do go into games against the Flames game planning to stop Johnny Gaudreau.

Being the focal point of the offense is more difficult, the same reason why Crosby is considered better than Malkin, because he is always the one focused on, making his job harder, yet still produces similar numbers.
So Malkin is a passenger in your opinion?

Complete BS to call Marner a passenger because the Leafs have Matthews, he's been through driver of his line since basically coming into the league.

And Gaudreau has 7p in 3gp playing with significantly worse players.
That's nice, I'm not arguing that Marner > Gaudreau, not exactly fair to say that until Marner proves it over full season, which though is a possibility.

Way too early to say Gaudreau is going to outscore Marner, point totals atm certainly don't indicate that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So Malkin is a passenger in your opinion?

Complete BS to call Marner a passenger because the Leafs have Matthews, he's been through driver of his line since basically coming into the league.

That's nice, I'm not arguing that Marner > Gaudreau, not exactly fair to say that until Marner proves it over full season, which though is a possibility.

Way too early to say Gaudreau is going to outscore Marner, point totals atm certainly don't indicate that.

7 points in 3 games for Gaudreau > 8 in 4 for Marner, if they're even in the same vicinity in points, Gaudreau gets the nod.

Gaudreau is simply a better version of Marner.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
7 points in 3 games for Gaudreau > 8 in 4 for Marner, if they're even in the same vicinity in points, Gaudreau gets the nod.

Gaudreau is simply a better version of Marner.
Yeah I don't agree, and no 8 > 7.

Both are similar caliber of players, with the age on Marner's side, and Gaudreau being more proven.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I like Marner a lot, but JG is a small step above. We will see who ends up better at the end of this year, but for now it's Gaudreau.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Gaudreau still. He'll still probably outscore Marner despite the huge gap in quality of linemates.

Could only imagine what Gaudreau would do with Tavares and Matthews (on PP).

All summer we have been told there is "only so many points to go around" so which is it? The limited amount of icetime was supposed to be the reason he couldnt hit ppg+. Marner also hit 70pts last year when the 2nd unit did not have Matthews or Nylander on it so its not like he cant do anything on the PP without elite players on it.

Except that last year Marner was on the shutdown line and therefore drew more defensive zone starts and played against the top lines of the opposition.

Also, teams go into Leafs games planning to stop Marner. Just like there are plans to stop Malkin/Kessel when they play Pittsburgh. You are right that a lot of teams will focus on Matthews, but with Nylander out you should be focusing on the Marner/Tavares line more than Matthews (although both should be planned against).

Nothing wrong with voting Gaudreau, he's an elite player and I see the argument for either (I havent voted in this poll yet, I think the end of this year shows how high Marner can get while seeing if Gaudreau can maintain ppg+ once again). I am just pointing out that these statements are very flawed.

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is better than Gaudreau for sure. It may be close now but will not be at the end of this season.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Gaudreau 7 points on 12 goals scored. Marner 8 points on 20 goals scored. Yeah the flames offence runs through Gaudreau. Marner not so much.

Mar 26, 2010
Gaudreau 7 points on 12 goals scored. Marner 8 points on 20 goals scored. Yeah the flames offence runs through Gaudreau. Marner not so much.
Well that is because Calgary does not have Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Co.

Marner is better than Gaudreau, and the gap is only getting bigger.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Small sample size. It is ridiculous to assume these paces keep up just like Matthews is not about to score ~200 goals.

However, being in on 40% of your team's points absolutely means that the offense runs through you. Last year Gaudreau scored/assisted in "only" ~35% of his teams goals.

Swing and a miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad