• Vancouver Fan saying Nylander

• Vancouver Fan saying Marner

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This pretty much word for what TWS and the Lainiecs were arguing just about this time (maybe a little earlier) about his shooting percentage and how it was lazy to assume that such a god would fall from shooting at ~23% and being on pace for ~55 or more goals. Just saying.

On this date last year Laine played his 38th game and had scored 19 goals. He scored 19 more in his final 35 games.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Heck of a season so far. If he finished at this pace you guys will have a lot to be excited about. Still too soon for me to pick him above the others.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Marner for me as a Leafs fan if I had to pick. He thinks the game at such an elite level.

The same can be said about Boeser.

We have also said his SH% will drop.

I have yet to hear some leaf fans suggest that.

Anyway I pick Boeser above the rest in the poll easily, as he's the best overall player.

I'd rank them as

Boeser
Nylander
Marner

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Stark

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This pretty much word for word what TWS and the Lainiecs were arguing just about this time (maybe a little earlier) about his shooting percentage and how it was lazy to assume that such a god would fall from shooting at ~23% and being on pace for ~55 or more goals. Just saying.

Are you talking about what TWS and Lainecs said last season at this time? Not exactly clear in your post...

But anyway if that is what you're saying, Laine is getting about 1:20 LESS ice time this season than he was getting last season, so you haven't proven their theory false at all.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Are you talking about what TWS and Lainecs said last season at this time? Not exactly clear in your post...

But anyway if that is what you're saying, Laine is getting about 1:20 LESS ice time this season than he was getting last season, so you haven't proven their theory false at all.

It wasn't so much about the specifics of ice time as it was grasping at any justification to defend (the then current) scoring levels as sustainable despite a sky high shooting percentage.
-the percentage won't fall, he's the best ever by as massive margin
-ice time is naturally going to skyrocket, the coach also believe's the highest priority is a certain players goal totals
- shot generation is for sure going to increase

Boeser's a great player, but I doubt he get's 45 this year.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Get your shots in now, lads, while Boeser is statistically still ahead in terms of pacing.

Look forward to bumping this up again once 120-150 games have been played by each.

Go ahead.

Would be nice to see you eat crow.

Keep in mind always that Marner and Nylander will always benefit more from having a much better team and/or better linemates (in Nylander's case) but Boeser will still outproduce em.

Reactions: Tony Stark

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It wasn't so much about the specifics of ice time as it was grasping at any justification to defend (the then current) scoring levels as sustainable despite a sky high shooting percentage.
-the percentage won't fall, he's the best ever by as massive margin
-ice time is naturally going to skyrocket, the coach also believe's the highest priority is a certain players goal totals
- shot generation is for sure going to increase

Boeser's a great player, but I doubt he get's 45 this year.

1. I never said he would get 45.
2. I never said anything remotely close to "his percentage won't fall, he's the best ever"
3. Boeser's ice time will increase, because it already has and continues to.
4. When ice time increases, overall shots also increase.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This pretty much word for word what TWS and the Lainiecs were arguing just about this time (maybe a little earlier) about his shooting percentage and how it was lazy to assume that such a god would fall from shooting at ~23% and being on pace for ~55 or more goals. Just saying.
Not sure why you keep misrepresenting what my position is. Fact is I don't care about shooting % as I am not overally obsessed with how inferior shooters stack up against superior shooters. This is why I say, simply citing a number and saying it is not sustainable means all players go through highs and lows during the season. But I do know one thing. Comparing Marner to Boeser as shooters is asinine when citing sustainable numbers. The difference is obvious to most.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You have to understand the poster you are replying to is a die hard Leafs fan. Matthews 17.4 shooting % is sustainable and Boeser's is destined to fall off a cliff seems to be the narrative. No one last year said Laine or this year Boeser are going to stay hot all year. This is hockey and everyone knows there are peaks and valleys. But at the end of the season, it will all even out. As It did for Laine and it will for Boeser as well. What will be a normalization for them will still be better than for the average shooter as Nylander and Marner have thus far shown themselves to be.

Again Boeser is already 2 goals better than Marner's career high and 1 less than Nylander if he doesn't score another goal this season. This should be the /thread.

Reactions: Sayonara77

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This one is hard for me because I really like Marner and think he will be one of the best playmakers in the NHL for many years and a many time top 10 scorer in the league when he hits his peak years. But at the same time how can anyone discount the beast of a rookie season Broeser is currently on and has a chance to finish season with a better PPG average than McDavid did with his. So right now it has to be Broeser but do not count out Marner in the future.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It's a well known fact shooting % fluctuate for all players during a season. As I said, the shooting % argument is one of the dumbest arguments I see on hockey boards today. To compare Marner as a shooter to Boeser and equate one to being lucky and the other unlucky defies credulity. Marner will never shoot the puck as proficient as Boeser, nor is Boeser going to shoot the puck as Marner will. Citing shooting %'s and not recognizing the difference in the quality of shooters is lazy hockey analysis that has become a stock reply on these boards these days. It all evens out in the wash at the end of the year, it is nothing new. Players since Gordie Howe played in his prime all go through plateaus. You don't need to look at a shooting % to understand this.

So your argument against Boeser having a high S% is that S% rise and fall over the season and will normalize at the end? So basically you are acknowledging that he has a high S% but by seasons end it will likely fall in the range of the premier snipers in the league. Riveting.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Not sure why you keep misrepresenting what my position is. Fact is I don't care about shooting % as I am not overally obsessed with how inferior shooters stack up against superior shooters. This is why I say, simply citing a number and saying it is not sustainable means all players go through highs and lows during the season. But I do know one thing. Comparing Marner to Boeser as shooters is asinine when citing sustainable numbers. The difference is obvious to most.
Again, nobody is doing that. And this exact thing was pointed out to you a few posts ago. Saying both Boeser's and Marner's sh.% will normalize is not saying they'll both equalize. Do you understand this, yes or no? Because everything you've written suggests you don't.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver
Think Marner and Nylander are about even but I would put them clearly a tier above Boeser for now, until proven otherwise. I think Nylander and Marner have facets in their skillset that make them elite, creative talents (particularly their skating).

With Boeser, he's a good finisher and has a very strong/sturdy stick but I'm not sure his productivity so far his translatable over a large sample size, versus someone like say Keller...Still a hell of a player but I'd need to see more before I label him an elite talent.

I think the numbers argument on Boeser is fair, he's riding high on some numbers right now, like his SH%, I don't doubt he's a high-end finisher but I'm not convinced right now, he's a potentially game-breaking talent like the aforementioned.

Of course you would

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
how is he not benefiting from puck luck? he has a shooting percentage of 21%. Marner and Nylander are at 5 and 6.5% respectively
Because he is a far superior shooter than those two guys? It's not as if lots of Boeser's goals are the result of good bounces. The vast majority are high skill plays where he uses his skills (shooting, finding open ice, hands) to score.

Is a player no longer allowed to just be a superior shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad