Mitch Marner vs. Blake Wheeler

Who’s a better player right now?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner just had more pts on the last year of his ELC than wheeler has had in his 11 year career.
at the same as as magic mitch blake was still 4 years away from being a top 6 forward

lock er up

Reactions: Psych0dad

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'll take 3 fewer points for one of the best defensive wingers in the league.
True, but Wheeler wasn't even in the top 30 for 5v5 points or top 50 in 5v5 primary points. Marner was 7th and 1st respectively. Also, 50.17 cf% (-2.12 rel) and 52.48 xgf% (-0.87 rel) isn't so great for Wheeler. Marner had 52 cf% (+0.4 rel) and 52.3 xgf% (+1.6 rel). You could also make the case that Marner was a stronger penalty killer

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'll take 3 fewer points for one of the best defensive wingers in the league.

Are you referring to Wheeler's defensive prowess over his career or right now? Because Jets fans seemed very critical of Wheeler and Scheifele's defensive play last season. Not criticizing, Wheeler's probably the answer for the poll given his stellar track record, just want to know what you see that makes you say that, especially compared to Marner, who I feel gets overrated defensively by Leaf fans.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
True, but Wheeler wasn't even in the top 30 for 5v5 points or top 50 in 5v5 primary points. Marner was 7th and 1st respectively. Also, 50.17 cf% (-2.12 rel) and 52.48 xgf% (-0.87 rel) isn't so great for Wheeler. Marner had 52 cf% (+0.4 rel) and 52.3 xgf% (+1.6 rel). You could also make the case that Marner was a stronger penalty killer

I rather take someone who is lethal also on the PP since it is a big, important part of NHL. Most games are being decided on PP, not on 5v5

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Are you referring to Wheeler's defensive prowess over his career or right now? Because Jets fans seemed very critical of Wheeler and Scheifele's defensive play last season. Not criticizing, Wheeler's probably the answer for the poll given his stellar track record, just want to know what you see that makes you say that, especially compared to Marner, who I feel gets overrated defensively by Leaf fans.
At his peak. He was borderline Selke-level at his peak.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Wheeler's overly romanticized by people who've not watched Jets play a lot.

Agreed, it stretches on to some of the fan base too. Praise from coach must have sold some on his excellence. Marner is much better and only starting. The gap between them will only grow, one is years away from entering his prime and other is past his. Marner at this age is better than Wheeler at any point in his career.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Marner just had more pts on the last year of his ELC than wheeler has had in his 11 year career.
at the same as as magic mitch blake was still 4 years away from being a top 6 forward

lock er up

Why do you guys insist on bringing up age when it's not relevant?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I rather take someone who is lethal also on the PP since it is a big, important part of NHL. Most games are being decided on PP, not on 5v5
Personally I prefer 5v5 and I do think the gap in points would have been a lot bigger if Marner had 50 more PP minutes than Wheeler, but your opinion is interesting too

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Defense is the new intangibles.. Especially with wingers. Marner isn't exactly poor either, and the impact of good defense on the wing means nothing.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad