Mitch Marner to participate in Gatorade NHL Shooting Stars

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It looked like Marner had this event won because he was tied with Kane and they needed an extra round where they were given one more shot. Marner went first and looked like he got the maximum 10 points, however the puck did not go clearly into the net, it went off the side and in which didn't count and Kane won with only getting 2 points.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just when you think they can’t get worse.
Why is the biggest target the most points?
Who thought this was a good idea?
Personally, if it is up to me, just let more players compete for the hardest shot.
For shooting accuracy instead of letting the shooter in the slot, they should move around the ice and try to hit the targets, like a few targets at the right face off circle, a few targets at the left, a few just inside the blue line....

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
In the first round didnt he get 3 in the 10? The camera zoomed in on him and it showed him saying "I got 3 no?"..It looked like he got 3 to me as well.

Everyone is fussing about the last overtime shot which clearly hit off the backboard and backmesh...But really it was the opening round 2nd shot that they missed.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In the first round didnt he get 3 in the 10? The camera zoomed in on him and it showed him saying "I got 3 no?"..It looked like he got 3 to me as well.

Everyone is fussing about the last overtime shot which clearly hit off the backboard and backmesh...But really it was the opening round 2nd shot that they missed.
I watched the video again and it only counted as a 10 when the lights flashed and yes it clearly looked like he got it 3 times.

Reactions: OddyOh

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK

I came into this event with an open mind...and was still disappointed. Like you say, why is the biggest target worth the most?! Nobody at the NHL has ever been to a carnival? Never played mini putt? Darts? Archery? Gun range? Target practice of any kind? Never shopped at Target? :P

The players just seemed baffled throughout, and I don't get why hitting the back of the target doesn't count the same as getting it in the mesh. Those targets need serious re-design, but this was hopefully a one-off event anyway.

I mean at least they're trying new things. But this wasn't it, a huge miss from me. Glad I always record this thing and then skip through it the next day, I would never watch this live.

horner

May 22, 2007
That was the worst skills competition ever.
I love that womens hockey is getting coverage but it was almost like it was there skills competition with the NHL stars being invited .
Wierd

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That was the worst skills competition ever.
I love that womens hockey is getting coverage but it was almost like it was there skills competition with the NHL stars being invited .
Wierd

When they did the Shooting Stars Event, I couldn't help but think how bored and disinterested the other all players must have felt watching it from ice level.

They are always doing different things, bringing players to the fans, trying to expand the sport to women, I get that. Having them walk up the stars in shoes, throw out hats (hopefully signed), all added touches to the event. It's supposed to be a celebration, not taken too seriously, so in that they did ok I suppose. It certainly did feel disjointed though and the womens jerseys were bland and non descriptive.

horner

May 22, 2007
It is good that they are bringing women's hockey to the bigger stage.
A 15 minute 3 on 3 would have been better
I would have rather seen the women in a skills competition than a 3 on 3 game.
Same as the men's competition.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
The women's 3 on 3 was pretty good, I expected more goals, but the Canadian goalie was on fire...might be a good Hutch replacement.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Dumb event, they just shot for tens obviously. Why even have a 2 or 4 pt in the peripheral? You would think the 10 point would be the more difficult target. Ah well.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Personally, if it is up to me, just let more players compete for the hardest shot.
For shooting accuracy instead of letting the shooter in the slot, they should move around the ice and try to hit the targets, like a few targets at the right face off circle, a few targets at the left, a few just inside the blue line....

LMAO I guess I was pretty high, that didn't even occur to me. :laugh::laugh: What a waste of time, not even cannabis could make this ridiculous event watchable. I mean I did watch almost all of it but I doubt I'll ever do it again. Cool that women got to take part, other than than I have nothing good to say.

Barzal maybe, that was impressive!

Reactions: Gabriel426

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Missed the 10 metre diving event, but watched some of the other.

Andersen didn't suck in the shootout event! Cheers

I thought the women's 3 on 3 was okay, but realistically they're about what U17 boys calibre? A couple skate well, and I guess you have to just respect it for what it is. Imagine someone like little Nick Robertson playing with them?

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I came into this event with an open mind...and was still disappointed. Like you say, why is the biggest target worth the most?! Nobody at the NHL has ever been to a carnival? Never played mini putt? Darts? Archery? Gun range? Target practice of any kind? Never shopped at Target? :P

The players just seemed baffled throughout, and I don't get why hitting the back of the target doesn't count the same as getting it in the mesh. Those targets need serious re-design, but this was hopefully a one-off event anyway.

I mean at least they're trying new things. But this wasn't it, a huge miss from me. Glad I always record this thing and then skip through it the next day, I would never watch this live.

I'm totally with you on the recording part, why waste 2 hours watching it live.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Missed the 10 metre diving event, but watched some of the other.

Andersen didn't suck in the shootout event! Cheers

I thought the women's 3 on 3 was okay, but realistically they're about what U17 boys calibre? A couple skate well, and I guess you have to just respect it for what it is. Imagine someone like little Nick Robertson playing with them?

Yeah, women's 3-on-3 was just okay, even with all that open space...some nice passing and breakaways...but these are the best women players...can't be great 5-on-5 with more mediocre players per team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I still prefer to watch a game while it's actually going on as opposed to watching it on tape delay. Every time I pvr a Leafs game for whatever reason and watch it later, it doesn't feel the same to me.
I usually start it about an hour late which allows to skip commercials and the intermission.
Usually caught up sometime in the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad