Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. I didn't make a suggestion at all

2. You seem to be way more fearful of the future than most. The tactics you're using are that of a player agent.

3. Most Star players sign closer to last minute than what you're saying. That's a non-debatable fact. Though (like I said), there are exceptions.

4. It's odd to suggest what is by far the most common occurrence (to not sign early), to be 'bizarre'.

Are you kidding? Every year the “top ufa” list for the next year dwindles down prior to the season starting because most star players sign early. There is no evidence to suggest this.

Teams identify who they want to keep and sign them. Ie JB has already said that he is working on a Herman extension and let stammer twist. He’s not doing that for Herman.

There have been some more exceptions recently because of the frozen cap.

The last guy to lose a star player (JG) for nothing was Tre. He won’t do that again.

IFFFFFF the team is moving on (I am not sure they are) the idea that Marner chooses to play out the string is a very unique scenario

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
IFFFFFF the team is moving on (I am not sure they are) the idea that Marner chooses to play out the string is a very unique scenario
How do you know? There are likely many players who were asked to waive their NMC but refused. Its just not disclosed to the media because GMs don't want to alienate the player if they refuse to waive.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How do you know? There are likely many players who were asked to waive their NMC but refused. Its just not disclosed to the media because GMs don't want to alienate the player if they refuse to waive.

??? GMs alienate players asking them to waive. It gets reported an awful lot for star players.

Toronto would find out pretty quickly. It wouldn’t be hidden.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
??? GMs alienate players asking them to waive. It gets reported an awful lot for star players.

Toronto would find out pretty quickly. It wouldn’t be hidden.
Plenty of players were asked to waive, and they refused. It just gets found out after the season is over and they have moved on.

The point being that GMs don't disclose it to the media just in case the player refuses to waive. They don't want to create a distraction if the player stays. Happens all the time. Marner holds all the cards!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can see a situation where there is currently no fit at this time. No team that he would waive for, that is interested in his services due to cap-constraints. Rather than waiving and signing longterm for a team that is not in his interests, he could see out his contract then try again next offseason as a UFA, when there may be more teams interested that fit his desires.

Ok why would that team magically become available? Sure I guess it’s possible.

But the idea that Marner is going to be told.
“No let’s wait for a year” seems silly

Would you do that?
Why would he.

Plenty of players were asked to waive, and they refused. It just gets found out after the season is over and they have moved on.

The point being that GMs don't disclose it to the media just in case the player refuses to waive. They don't want to create a distraction if the player stays. Happens all the time. Marner holds all the cards!

Ummmm you think that’s a secret in Toronto? Bahahaha ok

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If the Leafs ask Marner to waive his NMC, and he agrees - what motivation does he have to sign an extension, just for the Leafs to benefit more?

No extension = he stays with the Leafs or gets traded to a team he's cool with for a lesser package (and thus gets traded to a better team).

The only way I see him signing an extention is if he asks for the trade, and not the Leafs.

Probably around 100M guaranteed money? Players prefer signing contracts before they risk career ending injuries.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ok why would that team magically become available? Sure I guess it’s possible.

But the idea that Marner is going to be told.
“No let’s wait for a year” seems silly

Would you do that?
Why would he.

Ummmm you think that’s a secret in Toronto? Bahahaha ok
Marner may not have a choice. His preferred team may not have the capspace until the next offseason. He plays out his contract then signs. Simple…

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Are you kidding? Every year the “top ufa” list for the next year dwindles down prior to the season starting because most star players sign early. There is no evidence to suggest this.

Teams identify who they want to keep and sign them. Ie JB has already said that he is working on a Herman extension and let stammer twist. He’s not doing that for Herman.

There have been some more exceptions recently because of the frozen cap.

The last guy to lose a star player (JG) for nothing was Tre. He won’t do that again.

You're pretending like those guys sign a year before they have to. Most of them sign mid season or later.

So I less you're suggesting the Leafs will start the season with him, and trade him at the next deadline (or something similar), how is anything you said relevant?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner may not have a choice. His preferred team may not have the capspace until the next offseason. He plays out his contract then signs. Simple…

Except for.
What possible gaurantee would he have? That’s not simple at all…..
you say

I want to work for your company. I am in a dangerous job that I could lose millions in future earnings.

Company says NO. Check back next year. You think Marner would just wait? That’s insane. And lose an 8th year?

What if they have no room then? He retires?

The idea that he would go to a team. They would shoot him down and he risks injury or no spot is just silly.

You're pretending like those guys sign a year before they have to. Most of them sign mid season or later.

So I less you're suggesting the Leafs will start the season with him, and trade him at the next deadline (or something similar), how is anything you said relevant?

The idea is that Marner is NOT being offered a new contract.

He goes to where he wants. Then what? Doesn’t sign an extension.

That’s pretty rare. None of the insiders are suggesting this.

The idea that he just waits out the year is silly

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Except for.
What possible gaurantee would he have? That’s not simple at all…..
you say

I want to work for your company. I am in a dangerous job that I could lose millions in future earnings.

Company says NO. Check back next year. You think Marner would just wait? That’s insane. And lose an 8th year?

What if they have no room then? He retires?

The idea that he would go to a team. They would shoot him down and he risks injury or no spot is just silly.

The idea is that Marner is NOT being offered a new contract.

He goes to where he wants. Then what? Doesn’t sign an extension.

That’s pretty rare. None of the insiders are suggesting this.

The idea that he just waits out the year is silly
Its not insane. Happens all the time.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
You would have to assume most GMs know by now if they are a team that Marner would waive the NTC for. The Leafs are just wasting everyones time if they are entertaining offers for teams Marner wont waive for.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You would have to assume most GMs know by know if they are a team that Marner would waive the NTC for. The Leafs are just wasting everyones time if they are entertaining offers for teams Marner wont waive for.

IFFFFF they have decided to move on from marner

1.) where do you want to go give us a list. You cannot contact team

2.) leafs contact team and work out a deal with and without extension

3.) let team come up with contract.

Trade.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That players are given a negotiation window. The team says no. And then the player decides to wait to hope they sign him ?

Name one time.
You are making it out like he only has one shot at this and its this offseason. That’s flat wrong. It’s wishful thinking because you are desperate. Use some logic.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You are making it out like he only has one shot at this and its this offseason. That’s flat wrong. It’s wishful thinking because you are desperate. Use some logic.

He has one shot at 8 years.
Most almost all players want to have security and be locked up.

If the team tells him there is no contract and he is moving. He gives a list and moves.

If the other team doesn’t want him this year. He doesn’t wait until next year. You think his ego would allow that?

generally when the team and the player decide to move on. There is no chance the player will choose to stay and just risk being injured when he can pick a spot and extend.

It’s really simple. Your suggestion is

Marner willingly stays knowing there is no contract holding out hope that a team that says no this year says yes next. That’s insane.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Why would Marner even play for the leafs? If hes a lame duck player he can fake a injury or get a allergy to hockey pads like Hossa and sit out. I wouldnt risk injury for the leafs if they wanted to dump and change me.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Not sure if trading Marner will be the best route to take and with a new coach coming on board once again, will be surprising to see it he's even given the rope to do something that drastic.

But end of the day, whether you believe they just aren't good enough, making too much money to fill out the team, and/or don't mesh well together to win a cup.….

Leafs have two options. Either run it back again and let Tavares and Marner contracts run their course and truly reset next year. Or let a rookie coach make a drastic trade this offseason.

Because they are in that 6-10 range of NHL teams and it’s a place you truly don’t want to be. Good enough to where you have that false sense of “hey we are almost there to making a run” and obviously good enough to where guys are putting up stats that they need to be getting paid a bunch.

Almost better for the Leafs if they go for broke and having the off chance they suck for a year or two to restock.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
So the interesting part is Marner has another season until he's a UFA, and I personally think he probably wants out of Toronto. The Leafs either deal with this sooner or later, but the more they wait the more they'll risk another DeBrincat situation, so if I'm them, I'd work on the best trade possible for him as soon as they can.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So the interesting part is Marner has another season until he's a UFA, and I personally think he probably wants out of Toronto. The Leafs either deal with this sooner or later, but the more they wait the more they'll risk another DeBrincat situation, so if I'm them, I'd work on the best trade possible for him as soon as they can.
Due to his massive cap hit, and 32 teams suddenly having a bunch of cap space and then quickly spending most of it away in new ways taking place on July 1st, I would imagine he is traded July 1st and not later than that, when teams have cap room to add Marner. Toronto ALSO has to cut him a check on July 1st for around $10 million, so I'd imagine most teams trading for Marner would want to wait for that to happen before trading for him, and save $10 million in cash (not cap). Therefore, I speculate that Marner will not be traded after July 1st OR before July 1st, but rather, he will be traded right on that day. Perhaps a trade would be pre-negotiated in the week leading up to July 1st.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
How many teams in the league would Mitch be the best player on and people are acting as if the Leafs need to beg/retain to move him for contracts they want to get rid of?

People act like they'd be doing the Leafs a favor to take Mitch on.

Leaf Nation is in tantrum mode, this will blow over, everyone will be kissing Mitch's throne again when he's on pace for 100 points. People simp for much less.

Don't want your mid garbage, it's up to Mitch if he's over this annoying fanbase and media or not.

Hockey deal for Mitch sure, if not he's getting extended.

It would be nice if people talked about reality for once, these trade boards are mostly emotional drivel.

Like we're suppose to be envious of teams like the Red Wings with 'real talent' like Dylan Larkin whose career highlight was leading the league in scoring for three weeks in October one time and will never play a playoff game unless he's traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00