Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
True enough.

I mean, we have a mod who tries to undermine Marner whenever possible.
I never understood the inability to recognize what a unique talent Marner was, think some took sides with the Nylander debate. I mean he did struggle at times-might again for that matter- but man alive you could just see where he was going. Wait until he physically matures like Kadri has over the years.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
5 point night vs OTT.
4 point night vs BOS.
4 point night vs CAR.
3 point night vs ARZ.
3 point night vs PIT.
2 point night vs CBJ.
2 point night vs MTL.
2 point night vs BOS.
Another 2 point night vs BOS.
2 point night vs STL.
2 point night vs LAK.
2 point night vs WPG.

The thing I like best about Marner, and this is actually unlike most superstars, is that he racks up the points equally as much vs good and bad teams.

And he has performed very well in games that he hasn't registered a point: 5 SOG vs CGY, CHI; 4 SOG vs CHI.

Mitch Marner has been a superstar since the beginning of December when he realised that he should also shoot.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I never understood the inability to recognize what a unique talent Marner was, think some took sides with the Nylander debate. I mean he did struggle at times-might again for that matter- but man alive you could just see where he was going. Wait until he physically matures like Kadri has over the years.

I've been a Nylander > Marner guy, but never understood why anyone wanted to undermine Marner, who has performed at super-star levels on an age-adjusted basis for practically every year and every league he's played in.

(I just happen to think that Nylander is a little more accomplished -- and probably the best Swedish forward since Forsberg or Sundin.)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I've been a Nylander > Marner guy, but never understood why anyone wanted to undermine Marner, who has performed at super-star levels on an age-adjusted basis for practically every year and every league he's played in.

(I just happen to think that Nylander is a little more accomplished -- and probably the best Swedish forward since Forsberg or Sundin.)
Lucky to have them both, win/win.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
2015 Draft is turning out to be on of the best for the Leafs with Mitch being one of the most creative youngster (keep in mind he is only 20 years old) and Dermott turning out to be a real deal despite a lot of criticism the time he was picked and now we are talking about him being a 2nd pairing "D"

I would never compare Matthews with any one on this team as he is in a different class

I believe Timothy Liljegren is going to be ready in couple of years and going to be a impact "D" within no time

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He has been getting better every game......he has unique vision and creativity...every time he gets the puck I expect something good to happen..
And he still isn't physically mature...
Of course Matthews is generational but I really think that Mitch is getting closer..

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
He had 6 points in his first 14 games of the season and has had 47 in the last 51.

In Matthews last 51 games, he's had 46. :sarcasm:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Marner is hitting 70 points with the way he’s playing. Like I said in the first edition of the poll, he’s already a star.

I can’t wait till Babcock removes the shackles off of our young stars and gives them proper ice time. We have three studs.

Reactions: kesleaf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The kid needs confidence to bring out his game. It was so obvious his confidence was shot earlier in the season due to several factors. He would constantly botch passes and turn the puck over. So many people on this board turned on him so quickly.

Now that he's playing with confidence, he looks insane out there. The Kane comparisons don't look so silly now do they?

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
As of right now - I have him tied with Matthews as our best player.

Matthews has gone down a lot though (his play the last while before injury was not good imo). Marner has skyrocketed recently. Seems to be a running theme with Second Half Marner.

Nylander has dipped quite a bit. The game tonight hurt him a lot. Need to see him drive his own line without Matthews/Marner. Tonight he failed. Hopefully he gets more chances.

Kapanen I think is on the cusp of breaking into talk of a big four. Everything is there but points. We'll see.

Matthews/Marner

Nylander

Kapanen (Moving up fast)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He is insanely good. And I still think Willy is his equal. The difference there is that Marner plays on the league's best PP unit, and Willy is on a PP unit that is among the league's worst*. I wouldn't be surprised if that changed to next season and added some 10 points to Nylander, maybe more.

* Not taking away credit here. Marner is the QB on that unit, and the single biggest reason that it is so good. The second unit is more interesting. It's all about Willy and Auston. The puck carrier attacks the net, forcing the defense to respect their shot. Either they take it, or use the lanes for a golden road pass to the other. Everybody else on that unit is a prop. What has happened is that they struggled, and then got their spots switched for a month or so. That change made things a whole lot worse, and now they are out of sync. That's a problem because their main weapon is also pretty much their only weapon. Brown and Marleau have been abysmal, which just makes the puck carrier all the more isolated.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marner is hitting 70 points with the way he’s playing. Like I said in the first edition of the poll, he’s already a star.

I can’t wait till Babcock removes the shackles off of our young stars and gives them proper ice time. We have three studs.
came in to say the same, 70pts this season isn't out of reach. hell, if his next game is a big one it becomes a likelihood that he hits 70

Reactions: DarkKnight

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Matthews has gone down a lot though (his play the last while before injury was not good imo). Marner has skyrocketed recently. Seems to be a running theme with Second Half Marner.

Nylander has dipped quite a bit. The game tonight hurt him a lot. Need to see him drive his own line without Matthews/Marner. Tonight he failed. Hopefully he gets more chances.

Kapanen I think is on the cusp of breaking into talk of a big four. Everything is there but points. We'll see.

Matthews/Marner

Nylander

Kapanen (Moving up fast)

Marner is solid but Matthews is in a class of his own.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I've been saying for a long time that the difference between Matthews and Marner isn't nearly as big as people think. Matthews is a big two-way centre and therefore will likely always be a little more valuable, but offensively I think Marner is at least the equal of Matthews, and I still think he'll rack up more points.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just dreaming here,what would it take to reunite
Mariner Dvorak and Tkachuk?:sarcasm:

Not even 1/50 of what it would take to get Marner, Matthews and Nylander :naughty:

Matthews/Marner

Nylander

Kapanen (Moving up fast)

Hopefully he could be our version of Saad

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is insanely good. And I still think Willy is his equal. The difference there is that Marner plays on the league's best PP unit, and Willy is on a PP unit that is among the league's worst*. I wouldn't be surprised if that changed to next season and added some 10 points to Nylander, maybe more.

* Not taking away credit here. Marner is the QB on that unit, and the single biggest reason that it is so good. The second unit is more interesting. It's all about Willy and Auston. The puck carrier attacks the net, forcing the defense to respect their shot. Either they take it, or use the lanes for a golden road pass to the other. Everybody else on that unit is a prop. What has happened is that they struggled, and then got their spots switched for a month or so. That change made things a whole lot worse, and now they are out of sync. That's a problem because their main weapon is also pretty much their only weapon. Brown and Marleau have been abysmal, which just makes the puck carrier all the more isolated.
Maybe it's the leagues best PP unit because Marner is on it? Also, I suspect Marner would get more points playing with Matthews all year, so it's a wash in my mind. I agree they are equals, and each are showing growth this year.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Marner is 8 points shy of his rookie season in points with 12 games less at this point. Likely to match and exceed that total I would think.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
36 Games \ 15 Goals \ 22 Assists \ 37 Points

Kind of weird that I'm not getting game to game updates of production like I was during the 5 goals in 55 games stretch. Where are all these fans now?
Funny how silent the Marner thread is now compared to then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad