Mitch Marner is the Leafs nominee for the King Clancy Memorial Trophy

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thats a important Trophy. I hope Marner is just as recognized by family members first and foremost. Like grand parents and immediate family. Surely he is right when you are so generous of your time....

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's for a player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community.

The last time a Maple Leafs player won this award was Curtis Joseph during the 1999-00 season.

NHL King Clancy Memorial Trophy Winners
Yeah he’s always been a good kid. I’ve had many laughs here reading posts portraying him as some type of villain.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Spoiled, overpaid, one dimensional, selfish brat. :sarcasm:

There, think I got it all out of the way before someone comes along seriously spouting off.

Congrats to Mitch, he's been very visually active in the community. A huge role model for many many kids.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I guess Matthew's doesn't get a nom because of public drunkness
Matthews is a finalist for the Lady Byng Trophy which is
given "to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability."

Plus the writers who vote on it didn't seem to care what happened to him off the ice because someone like Johnny Gaudreau won it during the 2016-17 season despite being fined $2,000 for diving.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
If anyone is interested here are the nominees from the other teams.

I like Evander Kane for his part in starting the Diversity Alliance in the face of the Bill Peters and Akim Aliu nonsense. Similar programs are frequently superficial but there's a lot of tangible good these guys can do for the sport at a variety of levels.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like Evander Kane for his part in starting the Diversity Alliance in the face of the Bill Peters and Akim Aliu nonsense. Similar programs are frequently superficial but there's a lot of tangible good these guys can do for the sport at a variety of levels.
This is also one award where they don't announce three finalists or show the voting results which is weird since it's voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. So we won't know where Marner would have finished with this vote if he doesn't win it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is also one award where they don't announce three finalists or show the voting results which is weird since it's voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. So we won't know where Marner would have finished with this vote if he doesn't win it.
We'll assume 2nd.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess Matthew's doesn't get a nom because of public drunkness
Matthews doesn't have a sizable charity presence. We know he dedicates time to Cystic Fibrosis related causes, but Marner's charity work has been much more on the forefront. Unlike Matthews, Marner spends pretty much all his time in Toronto, and does his charity related fundraisers in the summer.

Outside of Masai, Marner probably has the largest presence in charity endeavors among Toronto athletes/sports executives.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews doesn't have a sizable charity presence. We know he dedicates time to Cystic Fibrosis related causes, but Marner's charity work has been much more on the forefront. Unlike Matthews, Marner spends pretty much all his time in Toronto, and does his charity related fundraisers in the summer.
Here is something the Marner Assist Fund recently did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->