Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Pretty sure I saw a stat saying since marner came back from injury, he is top 4 in league scoring. Very impressive. Rocking the teams highest ppg as well.

Even though I'm not going to watch it I'm glad to see him going to the all star game

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Pretty sure I saw a stat saying since marner came back from injury, he is top 4 in league scoring. Very impressive. Rocking the teams highest ppg as well.

Even though I'm not going to watch it I'm glad to see him going to the all star game

Since December 4th (19GP)
3rd) Mitch Marner 28P
5th) Auston Matthews 26P
22nd) John Tavares 21P
25th) William Nylander 20P
35th) Zach Hyman 18P

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Really dangerous all over the ice offensively and defensively! Missing some waterbug puck carrying flamboyance so far this year. The multiple pass back instead of puck carrying with speed or stretch pass seems to have reduced the amount of instances he takes you out your seat with his puck skills and speed.

I really am starting to dislike this constant drop back pass stuff to the degree we see it happening. I like watching skilled players driving zone entries with flow. Most of this drop pass leaves everyone basically stationary standing at the blueline waiting for the puck to cross.

kind of slows the game down to much for our skill set as a group.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Here is that stat you were referring to from Jonas Siegel.

Nice company with them $11,000,000 per plus players for Marner. Matthews and Marner are so worth their money. Huberdeau is a steal best type contract in the league.

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Marner has been tremendous since he came back from injury. He's such a special player and the way he sees the ice is so unique. He is so often making the right play in the offensive zone, it makes you think he has eyes in the back of his head. Auston & Mitch together has been amazing.

I saw them together when Babcock was around but they never looked this dynamic together which I why I kept opting for Matty to be put back with Nylander. However, credit to Keefe's system, these two are thriving together. So are Nylander and JT. JT just a bit cold as of late, he'll be back.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner has been tremendous since he came back from injury. He's such a special player and the way he sees the ice is so unique. He is so often making the right play in the offensive zone, it makes you think he has eyes in the back of his head. Auston & Mitch together has been amazing.

I saw them together when Babcock was around but they never looked this dynamic together which I why I kept opting for Matty to be put back with Nylander. However, credit to Keefe's system, these two are thriving together. So are Nylander and JT. JT just a bit cold as of late, he'll be back.
With Babcock there was a pressure every time they were on the ice, make one error and almost a “told you so” and experiment over. Now they are free to create and find chemistry and it shows. It’s only going to get better too, which is frightening, you can see them starting to anticipate each other. One of the most dynamic tandems in the league.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
With Babcock there was a pressure every time they were on the ice, make one error and almost a “told you so” and experiment over. Now they are free to create and find chemistry and it shows. It’s only going to get better too, which is frightening, you can see them starting to anticipate each other. One of the most dynamic tandems in the league.
I think at one point last season Babcock tried Matthews and Marner on the same line, however he looked for any excuse to not play them together and in his mind he could tell them and the media at least I tried it.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There are very few flaws in Marner's game. Most of them he makes up for by circumventing them, like how he uses his smarts to read the second play rather than try to engage in a battle - and likely fail - on the first one. Others are minor, like his tendency to stay out there for a little bit too long. There's one that is noteworthy and important, and hasn't gone away. He simply must stop cheating when he's covering for d-men. He does that so often. He'll circle back to cover for them but before the d-men is even close to back in position, Marner is already jumping into play again. Sometimes there's not even a chance or an opportunity for him to do anything, he just drifts away from the blue line.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There are very few flaws in Marner's game. Most of them he makes up for by circumventing them, like how he uses his smarts to read the second play rather than try to engage in a battle - and likely fail - on the first one. Others are minor, like his tendency to stay out there for a little bit too long. There's one that is noteworthy and important, and hasn't gone away. He simply must stop cheating when he's covering for d-men. He does that so often. He'll circle back to cover for them but before the d-men is even close to back in position, Marner is already jumping into play again. Sometimes there's not even a chance or an opportunity for him to do anything, he just drifts away from the blue line.
From my eye, he is skating less. I also think that keefe is relying on him far too much with the zone entries. A bit too formula driven in my books. He enters from the center and while good, becomes predictable. He sometimes enters at a sub optimum speed. I wonder if he is gassing with too many minutes on the ice. Definitely a late game playmaker so I also wonder if he is just conserving energy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From my eye, he is skating less. I also think that keefe is relying on him far too much with the zone entries. A bit too formula driven in my books. He enters from the center and while good, becomes predictable. He sometimes enters at a sub optimum speed. I wonder if he is gassing with too many minutes on the ice. Definitely a late game playmaker so I also wonder if he is just conserving energy.

Perhaps too much time on the 25th. ranked PK?

Reactions: freshwind

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Perhaps too much time on the 25th. ranked PK?
Not sure what u mean on the 25th but pk can be exhausting. It just seems to me that I've seen him move faster. Maybe it is the trap defenses we have seen deployed against this team as of late or just the constant zone entry assignments through the center. He is less surprising and is constantly facing a gauntlet. Might be by design but it is less exciting.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure what u mean on the 25th but pk can be exhausting. It just seems to me that I've seen him move faster. Maybe it is the trap defenses we have seen deployed against this team as of late or just the constant zone entry assignments through the center. He is less surprising and is constantly facing a gauntlet. Might be by design but it is less exciting.

Well, teams do adjust, and PK isn't easy.

Their PK is 25th. in the league, it still isn't very good, and he has played more PK TOI this year than any other forward, in 11 fewer games.

Perhaps he just doesn't have the energy when he's had to PK.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Been terrific since returning from injury. Been our 3rd best forward this season behind Matthews and Nylander.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

He seperated them at 5v5 once this season because Mitch made a dzone turnover resulting in a GA on the PP.

Babcock just wanted to flex.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Really dangerous all over the ice offensively and defensively! Missing some waterbug puck carrying flamboyance so far this year. The multiple pass back instead of puck carrying with speed or stretch pass seems to have reduced the amount of instances he takes you out your seat with his puck skills and speed.

I really am starting to dislike this constant drop back pass stuff to the degree we see it happening. I like watching skilled players driving zone entries with flow. Most of this drop pass leaves everyone basically stationary standing at the blueline waiting for the puck to cross.

kind of slows the game down to much for our skill set as a group.

The reason for this is that he is playing with Matthews who needs to have puck more than Tevares. To me Mitch is fine he adjusted to his new linemate and the stats speak for themselves. His role on this new line is more of puck sharer whereas previously he was the sole puck carrier with Tevares

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The reason for this is that he is playing with Matthews who needs to have puck more than Tevares. To me Mitch is fine he adjusted to his new linemate and the stats speak for themselves. His role on this new line is more of puck sharer whereas previously he was the sole puck carrier with Tevares

That wasn’t a knock on him. I just notice he doesn’t go to the net as much. I think he should start going to the net more and jamming the crease on return. It creates scoring chances and options. He constantly changes which is great, he’s unpredictable. Predictable gets scouted pretty easy now days. Keefe likely should throw some wrinkles to the system and bring everyone back further and implement a stretch pass here and there. He’s likely saving that ace up his sleeve.

I would like to see them support the puck better and get more speed in the system. I find it slower than it should be at times. Marner has been great!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Been terrific since returning from injury. Been our 3rd best forward this season behind Matthews and Nylander.

That’s exactly true! It shouldn’t be true. Mitch has more game than he has shown. The speed game is gone because of all these drop passes that drag off speed. I would like to see more zone entries with speed this stretch drive after the break. Better puck support right from the dzone too would be great to see.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This season is proving that people were out to lunch when suggesting Point/Rantanen/Aho/Tkachuk etc were as good (or in some cases better) than Marner in the offseason.

Marner is proving the doubters wrong! :handclap:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This season is proving that people were out to lunch when suggesting Point/Rantanen/Aho/Tkachuk etc were as good (or in some cases better) than Marner in the offseason.

Marner is proving the doubters wrong! :handclap:
I knew we jumped the shark when Aho was floated. I mean....

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Small sample size, but this season:

ES P/60

Marner - 2.95
Rantanen - 2.83
Connor - 2.76
Laine - 2.74
Point - 2.67
Boeser - 2.44
Meier - 2.28
Aho - 2.13
Tkachuk - 2.11

ES P1/60

Marner - 2.44
Rantanen - 2.36
Connor - 2.31
Point - 2.15
Laine - 1.90
Aho - 1.88
Meier - 1.86
Tkachuk - 1.70
Boeser - 1.68

PP P/60

Marner - 8.37
Aho - 4.97
Rantanen - 4.93
Tkachuk - 4.91
Point - 4.63
Boeser - 4.03
Connor - 3.98
Laine - 3.38
Meier - 2.38

PP P1/60

Marner - 4.92
Point - 4.21
Aho - 4.14
Rantanen - 3.94
Tkachuk - 3.68
Connor - 3.62
Boeser - 2.59
Laine - 2.25
Meier - 1.19

Marner has also had the most PK time and most total TOI of all of these players.

If we gave everybody 16:30 at ES, and 3:30 on the PP, then their point totals would look something like this over a full season:

Marner - 107
Rantanen - 87
Point - 82
Connor - 81
Laine - 78
Boeser - 74
Aho - 72
Tkachuk - 71
Meier - 63

Proving what was obvious from the start. :thumbu:

Reactions: MyBudJT
Status