Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I was responding to a poster who continues on about the salary cap and demanding consistency. He asked why anyone should bother to watch now that Marner is paid more than kucherov. I merely pointed out the fact that Marner is out-earning his contract this year compared to kucherov. If people want to make ridiculous comparison just for the purpose of being negative, they should eat their comparison if it doesn't hold up to muster. Constantly pointing to other players on different teams as superior to our own is getting ridiculous around here if it means a constant barrage of leaf hatred that rivals fans of other teams. I would invite the jack asses to pick another team. I dont mind valid criticism, but to disparage the quality of one of our best players after some limited games and become homers for other teams stars should earn a boot from a leaf fan forum.

Kuch put up 66 points when he was Marners age.
At 21yo, Marner put up 94 points, Kuch put up 18 points in 52 games.

Here's a hot take..... Maybe, just maybe, Marner is actually the better player. Take Marner off the PK and give him another min/game on the PP, and 22yo Mitch will outscore 24yo Kuch at 100 points. He would have done it last year if the PP wasn't so crappy..... at 21yo.

That 100pt season, Kuch has a whopping 36 PPP. Remove the PP aspect and 21yo Marner put up 73 points, while 24yo Kuch would end up with 64.

I think the PP is very important, so I don't want to disregard that. However, it's a massive difference if one PP is on fire, and the other looks like a tire fire.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kuch put up 66 points when he was Marners age.
At 21yo, Marner put up 94 points, Kuch put up 18 points in 52 games.

Here's a hot take..... Maybe, just maybe, Marner is actually the better player. Take Marner off the PK and give him another min/game on the PP, and 22yo Mitch will outscore 24yo Kuch at 100 points. He would have done it last year if the PP wasn't so crappy..... at 21yo.

That 100pt season, Kuch has a whopping 36 PPP. Remove the PP aspect and 21yo Marner put up 73 points, while 24yo Kuch would end up with 64.

I think the PP is very important, so I don't want to disregard that. However, it's a massive difference if one PP is on fire, and the other looks like a tire fire.
I dont even want to get into that debate. Both are great players. What grinds on me is people asking why we shuld watch the leafs now that Marner is paid more than...fill in the banks

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I dont even want to get into that debate. Both are great players. What grinds on me is people asking why we shuld watch the leafs now that Marner is paid more than...fill in the banks

It's a poor argument since there are plenty of players far out playing their contract. I never see the other side of that argument using players with huge cap hits that are plugs.

Nylander also gets the Pasta treatment, but never the Hayes treatment.

I dunno about you, but I watch hockey for a good time. So many people on this site are getting high blood pressure over crap they have ZERO control over.

The only consistency Waffles is getting is stress. Maybe it's best not too watch if your going to get worked up over every game like it's the playoffs. Take a break.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tavares absence really demonstrated how much Marner relies on him to be more impactful in games both on the ice and in the boxscore.

Even playing 3 games with Matthews and 3 more on the 2nd line designed to drive offense didn't have the impact it should have based on expectations and remuneration.

I really looking forward to the Hyman -- Tavares -- Marner line to be reunited in the near future as those 2 players seem to compliment Marner's game the most.

Imo the Tavares injury should really hammer home to some folks on here just how valuable of a player he is, and not just some luxury add. A lot of nights hes by far the biggest impact player on the team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s funny how Tavares is suddenly the key for Marner, when before he got injured everyone was bashing his play this year. It’s like we just make up narratives as we go along to suit our biases.

JT was struggling with Marner prior to injury, they were both disjointed, JT adjusting to the C was my take, Marner his contract. Everyone appreciates JT, he’s incredibly important to this team. Also true, there aren’t many star players that don’t play with other talented people on their line, it’s kind of a given that you pair good talent. JT had a career year last year 5 v 5, his numbers amazing and his line targeted defensively.

The two compliment each other, this debate is kind of pedestrian if you ask me. Yes Oates needed Hull, no shit Sherlock.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
There is absolutely no way any team was going to offer more than what the leafs did (for a career high 70 point player) PLUS 4 first round picks. No way in hell.

Point is almost as good (some say AS good). Look at his offersheets...

And imagine a team giving up FOUR FIRST ROUND PICKS for a "short term" contract with matthews. Whata joke.

A joke? Short term contract?

You do realize the team would own Matthews the offersheet would own his rights until Matthews is 27? Are you saying that 5 years is a short term contract?

So the team could give Matthews a 1 year 15.9 million dollar contract. Then proceed to give him a long 8 year contract the following year if they wanted.

There are plenty of ways to get creative. And yes there are teams who would gladly give up 4 firsts for Matthew's. He's a franchise center and arguably the best even strength goal scorer in the nhl... and a top 3 goal scorer in the league.

Teams can go a decade without getting a big number one center. Case in point the leafs. Sundin to Matthew's was 21 years.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
A joke? Short term contract?

You do realize the team would own Matthews the offersheet would own his rights until Matthews is 27? Are you saying that 5 years is a short term contract?

So the team could give Matthews a 1 year 15.9 million dollar contract. Then proceed to give him a long 8 year contract the following year if they wanted.

There are plenty of ways to get creative. And yes there are teams who would gladly give up 4 firsts for Matthew's. He's a franchise center and arguably the best even strength goal scorer in the nhl... and a top 3 goal scorer in the league.

Teams can go a decade without getting a big number one center. Case in point the leafs. Sundin to Matthew's was 21 years.
He'll be 25 years old when he becomes a ufa, not 27.

Also, if they sign him to a 1 year 15.9 million contract, don't they have to make that his qualifying offer the next year?

It wouldn't happen in a million years.

Point, the same age and position as Matthews, scored 41 goals, 92 points. Where was his (lol) 15.9 aav offersheet? Or even an ELEVEN million offer sheet?

Nobody would have offered Matthews more than 11.6x5 PLUS 4 first round picks. NOBODY.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He'll be 25 years old when he becomes a ufa, not 27.

Also, if they sign him to a 1 year 15.9 million contract, don't they have to make that his qualifying offer the next year?

It wouldn't happen in a million years.

Point, the same age and position as Matthews, scored 41 goals, 92 points. Where was his (lol) 15.9 aav offersheet? Or even an ELEVEN million offer sheet?

Nobody would have offered Matthews more than 11.6x5 PLUS 4 first round picks. NOBODY.
Haven't looked up his DOB, but he signed a 5-year deal off a 3-year ELC and entered the league as a late born draft player, so he was 19.

He'd likely be a few weeks shy of turning 27 as a UFA

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia

Due to Marner's greed and his absurd contract everything he does has started to piss me off.
I truly don't know if this is normal and if this is justified, but I really think he should be taking the game more seriously and he just doesn't seem to care. Like his lame shootout record or that he still doesn't have a proper shot.
But I really think that such attitude with the water bottle and no ice results is just embarrassing.
Is something wrong with me or do you feel like this also?

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

Due to Marner's greed and his absurd contract everything he does has started to piss me off.
I truly don't know if this is normal and if this is justified, but I really think he should be taking the game more seriously and he just doesn't seem to care. Like his lame shootout record or that he still doesn't have a proper shot.
But I really think that such attitude with the water bottle and no ice results is just embarrassing.
Is something wrong with me or do you feel like this also?

He’s just doing his pregame rituals. I harp on Marner as much as the next guy but I think he’s slowly heating up.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
He’s just doing his pregame rituals. I harp on Marner as much as the next guy but I think he’s slowly heating up.
I hope so, dude! I don't know why, but I particularly accuse Marner that we don't have enough money for a solid backup goaltender. It is kinda screwed, but I feel as if he is the reason why we lose each time (except once this season) we go out with Hutch (I know it's back to back). When the camera shows him I always think what we could have done with the extra cap space and that is why his mistakes hurt ever more. I hope you manage to understand me. I know this is strange thinking.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I hope so, dude! I don't know why, but I particularly accuse Marner that we don't have enough money for a solid backup goaltender. It is kinda screwed, but I feel as if he is the reason why we lose each time (except once this season) we go out with Hutch (I know it's back to back). When the camera shows him I always think what we could have done with the extra cap space and that is why his mistakes hurt ever more. I hope you manage to understand me. I know this is strange thinking.

Nope, I totally felt the same way the first few games! Whenever I saw him smile and we were losing or whatever I just wanted to smack it right off his face! As much as he IS the reason for our cap ‘restraints’, it’s over and we have to just enjoy what we have. He’s signed for 6 years and us sulking or making him the enemy isn’t going to make these 6 years any prettier.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Trust me I’d love to sit here and bash our players all day every day but what I really want is to win something. Frickin anything. That’s why we bash, because we care. But thinking about it and the newer generation, they’re softies like this team, they need our support not our hate. Unfortunately haha

edit: we can't chastise them for small errors, we need to help them improve them while praising all the good things they do on a regular basis. imo.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Nope, I totally felt the same way the first few games! Whenever I saw him smile and we were losing or whatever I just wanted to smack it right off his face! As much as he IS the reason for our cap ‘restraints’, it’s over and we have to just enjoy what we have. He’s signed for 6 years and us sulking or making him the enemy isn’t going to make these 6 years any prettier.
It's true! I will really try to get my Marner "rage" under control and refrain from commenting on him. I mean it's not going to make anything better. Haha, now the narrative in my head completely shifted. You know that saying that you must not speak bad about the dead - only good or nothing. At the moment I feel Marner dead to me after the greed move and I will treat him such until he manages to revive himself in my eyes. :D Thanks for the chat, it really made my day! Have a fun day! :)

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
It's true! I will really try to get my Marner "rage" under control and refrain from commenting on him. I mean it's not going to make anything better. Haha, now the narrative in my head completely shifted. You know that saying that you must not speak bad about the dead - only good or nothing. At the moment I feel Marner dead to me after the greed move and I will treat him such until he manages to revive himself in my eyes. :D Thanks for the chat, it really made my day! Have a fun day! :)

Great point of view hahahahah! I love it! Have a great day as well my dude! Peace :D

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It’s funny how Tavares is suddenly the key for Marner, when before he got injured everyone was bashing his play this year. It’s like we just make up narratives as we go along to suit our biases.
It's a bit ridiculous. I've been saying the same thing as you a few times before. You'd think that Marner and Tavares were great before he went down, while Marner was arguably struggling even worse before that. For that matter, I think most of these discussions are silly. Great players most often play with great players, and almost nobody is good on their own. McDavid away from RNH and Draisaitl has pedestrian numbers.

Great goal by Marner tonight. That and Kapanen's overall play was some of the few highlights of the game, in my opinion.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Some optimism here...marner will likely have to take a big pay cut if he stays a leaf when new deal comes into play since his big overpayment in this deal will warrant that treatment, he should have gotten a bridge.

At same time tavares contract expires and his extension if it happens will also be a big cut. By then babcock will be gone, maybe dubas also, maybe freddy is also gone so...

Cap apparently will also rise

We just have to wait 5 years and this team will be ready to make upgrades and go for it haha, lots of cap space.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I know this won't be popular, but I still think the long term plan for Mitch should be to be on Matthews wing. They are our 2 key guys for the next 5 years.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Mik - Kerfoort - Kapanen
Tima - Goat - Moore

That's the line up I want to see going forward. It might be painful for 10 games.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The way this fanbase has turned on this kid is ****ing disgusting. Complete 180

It's sad.

He shouldn't have been so petty and shitty and greedy in his negotiations. Their camp didn't even disguise it well. It's too bad Marner went this that douche bag Darren Ferris.

Things probably would have turned out favourable on a ~9m x 6 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad