News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
this is the worse math I have ever seen.

Nylander signed for 6.9M. thats it.

$6,962,366 x 5 years is $34,811,830. Total value of the deal is $45,000,000. SO 45,000,000 - 34,811,830 = 10,188,170 (which is $6,962,366 pro rated over from Dec 1st to April 10 instead of Oct 1 to April 10).

Simple. No hidden tricks.
The point is this. Nylander missed some of the season and hence didn't get paid for it, obviously. But Nylander's contract, assuming he played for the full 6 seasons, is 7.5mil AAV. You are completely off base if you think you can consider his 6.96mil AAV contract comparable to normal 6.96mil AAV contracts because he didn't need to play for 2 months.

There clearly is a "hidden trick" there.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The point is this. Nylander missed some of the season and hence didn't get paid for it, obviously. But Nylander's contract, assuming he played for the full 6 seasons, is 7.5mil AAV. You are completely off base if you think you can consider his 6.96mil AAV contract comparable to normal 6.96mil AAV contracts because he didn't need to play for 2 months.

Who cares? His AVV is 6.96.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Who cares? His AVV is 6.96.
Because Nylander wasn't playing for 2 months, you cannot compare this contract to others where they play for the entire season without taking that into account. For instance, Pastrnak's contract would actually be 7.166 AAV if he got paid this amount yet didn't need to play for 2 months of the contract, with identical proration.

And on "who cares" - well, people who want to know what the contract is. It's quite important for precedent - For instance, Marner surely cares about this. I guess it comes down to "Dubas overpaid more than you thought". Not talking about the cap hit here by the way, I know what that is.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
where is the rantanen/laine/point mega threads with 39 pages?

Marner will get 9.5

No, he won’t. He will get the dollars. But whatever makes you sleep at night.
Be happy that folks are interested in your team, I guess.
Laine isn’t in the same league as Marner right now.
The Point thread has turned into the north american tax system.
Rantanen will also get paid. Don’t worry.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Because Nylander wasn't playing for 2 months, you cannot compare this contract to others where they play for the entire season without taking that into account. For instance, Pastrnak's contract would actually be 7.166 AAV if he got paid this amount yet didn't need to play for 2 months of the contract, with identical proration.

And on "who cares" - well, people who want to know what the contract is. It's quite important for precedent - For instance, Marner surely cares about this. I guess it comes down to "Dubas overpaid more than you thought". Not talking about the cap hit here by the way, I know what that is.
I don't think Dubas over paid at all.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Oh goodness, you’re still chasing this white rabbit?

Wouldn’t it be awesome if your local tax agency taxed your income at $7.5m when your income is really $6.96m?
Let’s say you get a new job, paying you 100K per year, but you started in July. How much have you actually made in that first tax year?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

For the Leafs, the cap hit is the only thing that matters when considering whether or not they overpaid.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As a 60 point passenger he is definetly overpaid. But the toolbox is there and he is still very young. So he has a good chance to live up to his contract.

61 points in each of his first 2 full seasons. 1 time 50 point players get 5.5 million+ these days.

He's a true blue chip talent.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Dubas had any foresight these kids would have all been locked up last summer.

Nylander 6.75 x 6
Marner 9 x 8
Matthews 11 x 8

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018

You can totally compare the contract. 6.9 is still 6.9 any way you slice it. By your logic he will be on a better deal after July 1st.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stay on topic, Marner contract or don’t post. If you don’t like the thread subject don’t open it, very simple. Those who continue to derail the thread by posting OT will be removed from the thread or given a infraction or both. You’ve been warned.

Continue discussion

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Embarrassment of riches I can agree as Leafs are stacked however I'm sorry Mathews is not on another level. He's on the same level as over a dozen players and below McDavid. Just because he's drafted first and thought as a savior doesn't mean he is. I'm sorry but Mathews has been in league 3 years now other then 40 goals in rookie year what's he done to be on another level? Before I go on 40 goals was awesome but still only 69 points. Year 2 63 points yes I know injured but not another level just PPG as many others. Now year 3 and though hurt again he's 47 points in 41 games again great but not another level. Marner on other hand this year is on another level compared to Mathews. Both are great I'm just surprised Mathews gets so much love when Marner keeps out producing him and doesn't miss games.

Mitch has been slightly more consistent. Fewer peaks and valleys since finding his game early last season but again, although he hasn't been able to sustain it, Matthews has shown he can perform at a level few players in the league can reach. In the McDavid stratosphere for sure. Mitch also has a pretty damn good running mate in Tavares whereas Matthews wingers have been a revolving door. It's kinda splitting hairs since both are incredible franchise defining talents. Matthews just has the ability to impact the game on a higher level. Position, Puck possession, goal scoring, game breaking, skill level it all goes to Matthews by a hair.

Apologies to the mod. Just read the warning. Was only responding to a previous post

Reactions: Katani Kalan

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

AAV is annual average value. The amount of money payed out to the player divided by number of seasons. More technically the AAV represents the amount of cap hit the player incurs every day the player is on the roster. This contract holds and AAV of $6.96m for the out years (2-6) of the deal.

Hope that helps.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mitch has been slightly more consistent. Fewer peaks and valleys since finding his game early last season but again, although he hasn't been able to sustain it, Matthews has shown he can perform at a level few players in the league can reach. In the McDavid stratosphere for sure. Mitch also has a pretty damn good running mate in Tavares whereas Matthews wingers have been a revolving door. It's kinda splitting hairs since both are incredible franchise defining talents. Matthews just has the ability to impact the game on a higher level. Position, Puck possession, goal scoring, game breaking, skill level it all goes to Matthews by a hair.

Apologies to the mod. Just read the warning. Was only responding to a previous post
Agree to disagree but I see your reasoning. I still think Marner makes no less then Mathews and Dubas set the deal giving into Mathews. Marner maybe loves Toronto but I believe he feels disrepected if he's being offered less for doing same or more then Mathews.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Agree to disagree but I see your reasoning. I still think Marner makes no less then Mathews and Dubas set the deal giving into Mathews. Marner maybe loves Toronto but I believe he feels disrepected if he's being offered less for doing same or more then Mathews.
That's fine and the Leafs can counter that he should get less than Rantanen.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
That's fine and the Leafs can counter that he should get less than Rantanen.
They can and they will doesn't mean Marner will sign. What comparable did Mathews team use to get to 11.6? I and a lot of others believe Marner to be better player why would he settle for less? This is going to be tough deal to get done for sure and I don't envy the Leafs. However it's a nice problem to have I suppose when you have a team flush with talent.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

the hidden trick is Nylander is getting almost 50% of his total contract value by July 1 2019. So he is easily movable. The Leafs were able to use money up front to keep the cap hit down.

its something probably 90% of the teams in the NHL could not do.

All that matters is the number against the cap and that is $6,962,366.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
They can and they will doesn't mean Marner will sign. What comparable did Mathews team use to get to 11.6? I and a lot of others believe Marner to be better player why would he settle for less? This is going to be tough deal to get done for sure and I don't envy the Leafs. However it's a nice problem to have I suppose when you have a team flush with talent.

What 2 things consistently pay, as a forward? Being a center and scoring goals. Two boxes Matthews checks that Marner does not.

Don't get me wrong Marner is an incredible play maker but Goals and the premium position have always warranted more money as history shows.

Marner will get paid but I think they'll look to see what guys like Rantanen, Tkachuk, Boeser, Connor get first as they're better comparables than Matthews.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
What 2 things consistently pay, as a forward? Being a center and scoring goals. Two boxes Matthews checks that Marner does not.

Don't get me wrong Marner is an incredible play maker but Goals and the premium position have always warranted more money as history shows.

Marner will get paid but I think they'll look to see what guys like Rantanen, Tkachuk, Boeser, Connor get first as they're better comparables than Matthews.

By that rationale does Point and Aho get higher av given they play centre and score goals at a higher rate than Marner? Rantanen will be an interesting negotiation given what Mackinnon makes...

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
By that rationale does Point and Aho get higher av given they play centre and score goals at a higher rate than Marner? Rantanen will be an interesting negotiation given what Mackinnon makes...

MacKinnon signed that deal after a 21 goal 52 point season and there was some questions about him taking the next step as his rookie year was his best pre-contract. MacKinnon's contract will have zero impact on Rantanen.

Point absolutely should get more but the Florida discount will probably help them get another great contract.. Aho and Marner should be about the same I think as I think Marner is better. Aho is great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->