Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yikes... just noticed Marner doesn't have a single power play goal this season..... (which I'm sure is said somewhere in this thread). Pretty unacceptable for an elite player. Something coaching needs to address. If I read it correctly... Matthews and Marner are somewhere in the 60's in terms of pp points?

too bad these two couldn't connect at an elite level on the PP this year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yikes... just noticed Marner doesn't have a single power play goal this season..... (which I'm sure is said somewhere in this thread). Pretty unacceptable for an elite player. Something coaching needs to address. If I read it correctly... Matthews and Marner are somewhere in the 60's in terms of pp points?

Marner works the powerplay off the wall. Always looking to set up Matthews is good thinking when you have a shot like that. He should score more on the powerplay nonetheless. They need some adjustments there. Marner still needs to get more powerful and quicker yet.

Just wait until that evolves over a few more years. I think he could play at 180-185 and add speed/quickness to his game in coming seasons.

He improved his even strength scoring and that is huge. Calling powerplay scoring unacceptable has to be interpreted/ articulated right. He’s one ofbthe best scorers 5v5 in the league NHL Stats

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

You ever watch a pp to see where he is assigned?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You ever watch a pp to see where he is assigned?

Asking a question is not a good rhetoric.

Are you saying it is perfectly reasonable that Marner have no PP goals? Are you saying it's perfectly acceptable that Marner and Matthews are placed 50+ in pp points?

Please enlighten me. This ask a question bull is cowardly.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Mitch Marner is silencing critics. I was one of them. I was pretty vocal when that contract got signed and the performances that were turned in especially come playoff time last season. I don't think I have commented much on his performances this season but have just been observing.

He is showing why he is so special and we why forked out the cash for him long term. He has been fantastic in all situations on the ice. This isn't a step forward it's a leap forward imo.

Marner - Matthews on the ice is just something else right now.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
You’ve been on the same thing since the contract was signed, Jesus man we get it.

An that folks is the all you need to know bout TMW. His aneurysm over Dubas "overpaying" Marner by 1-2M has now led him down a rabbit hole where he's trying to prove that Ratanen is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Marner so he can then compare their contracts and point to this supposed failing by Dubas. It's a sad hill he will die on especially as Marner continues to excel and will end up breaking numerous Leaf records and finish his career 1-2 with Matthews on our all-time scoring chart. It's best not to engage.

Honestly, at this point, I can only imagine that TLM was dating Shannon before she became Mrs. Dubas.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah! Come on coaches, put Marner into a goal-scoring role on the PP in place of the best goal scorer in the world!

:eyeroll:
In fairness he is in the goalscoring area on the PP and much of that drought was his inability to score and the general lack of shooting abilities on our umbrella aside from Matthews

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah! Come on coaches, put Marner into a goal-scoring role on the PP in place of the best goal scorer in the world!

Might want to double check Keefe and Marner's comments for how he's trying to become more of a shooting threat.

Leafs goaltender Frederik Andersen said Marner can be more of a threat offensively if goalies aren’t sure if he’s going to pass or shoot, and if they respect him as a shooter.
“You’ve got to respect the shot and the pass option,” Andersen said. “The better you do both, the more it will help you. His shot is underrated. He’s good at picking spots. He’s good at being elusive and tricky about where it’s going to go. I think he wants to be more than an incredible passer and playmaker. He wants to add to his game.”

“I feel like it’s a mentality thing. I feel like I usually want to make an extra play most of the time, but this year, I’m trying to be more of a threat, change things up on goalies.”

“A real differentiator from the true great players, the truly elite players of the league, they’re not satisfied and they’re continuing to find ways to tweak their game, whether it’s adding something such as improving your shot or one-timer,” Keefe said. “Auston last season added a one-timer … and became really dangerous that way.
“Mitch is always looking for ways to get better. All of our best players are, and they really push everybody in that regard. When you see Mitch Marner, John Tavares, Auston Matthews, William Nylander out on the ice every day practising and working on different things and spending their off-season trying to add different layers to their game, it certainly (means) if you’re a player that is not at their level, you’ve got no excuses. You’ve got to continue pushing and working.

The Leafs’ Mitch Marner decided to shoot more this season, and he’s shot right to the top

kb

Aug 28, 2009
An that folks is the all you need to know bout TMW. His aneurysm over Dubas "overpaying" Marner by 1-2M has now led him down a rabbit hole where he's trying to prove that Ratanen is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Marner so he can then compare their contracts and point to this supposed failing by Dubas. It's a sad hill he will die on especially as Marner continues to excel and will end up breaking numerous Leaf records and finish his career 1-2 with Matthews on our all-time scoring chart. It's best not to engage.

Honestly, at this point, I can only imagine that TLM was dating Shannon before she became Mrs. Dubas.
Triple and quadrupling down makes one look stupid, not smart....ego (especially misplaced) is a terrible thing.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

So your saying Marner is in a pass only position where all 1st unit pp players would never score?

Seems like a very dumb PP strategy...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Might want to double check Keefe and Marner's comments for how he's trying to become more of a shooting threat.
I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. Of course the coach and Marner are working on ways to improve as a player. That's what coaches and elite players do. And we've seen results from that, as Marner is on the best goal pace of his career. Would it be great if he scored a PP goal here or there? Sure. But I don't see the need, as fans, in the midst of a career year for Marner, to harp on the one thing Marner is weakest at (PP goal scoring). Especially when Marner has proven to be very good PP player overall, who usually sets up pretty high on the PP, as primarily a playmaker and not a goal scorer.

Reactions: Mark Messinger

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Asking a question is not a good rhetoric.

Are you saying it is perfectly reasonable that Marner have no PP goals? Are you saying it's perfectly acceptable that Marner and Matthews are placed 50+ in pp points?

Please enlighten me. This ask a question bull is cowardly.
He has the most PP points on the team. Is that unacceptable too?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I’m generally happy with Marner this year, but the biggest reason our PP struggles is the predictability. They try the same things over and over. Part of that is Marner has a tendency to over-pass instead of shoot.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
I’m generally happy with Marner this year, but the biggest reason our PP struggles is the predictability. They try the same things over and over. Part of that is Marner has a tendency to over-pass instead of shoot.

They're not forcing defenders to move , passes are to predictable around the perimeter . Shots are low percentage easy saves from the outside ect . Marner is the guy who can throw a tape to tape pass through defenders but for some reason he's opting for the " safe" but easily defended against plays. I don't think they're moving around enough myself and not a fan of Rielly on the point .

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Conversely he’s top 5 for even strength goals.

Reactions: Garthinater

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Marner has better es p/60. Rantanen has MUCH higher es g/60, ppp/60, ppg/60. He's pacing for the same amount of points but significantly more goals. Rantanen is better this year. The end.

I've never seen someone push PPP/60 stats so hard to say another player is "significantly better" than another player.

You are a classic case of having a bias and then looking for stats to push your bias.

Powerplay numbers are some of the most volatile of all numbers (short term) and is largely more indicative of the UNIT as a whole than it is the INDIVIDUAL.
Sidenote - Can you imagine how much more effective our PP would be with Makar quarterbacking the point than Rielly?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

At least it's been a bit since we heard him utter "massive UNPRECEDNTED overpayment" for every Toronto contract? Silver lining I guess.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The predictability is a function of Rielly... not Marner

Rielly can negatively impact the transition up the ice and doesn’t distribute the puck well from an umbrella formation to the left and right wings comfortably, and obviously can’t shoot worth a lick, so he’s a major culprit. So those are big structural problems associated with a position called the PP QB.

When the PP struggles, Matthews and Marner have at times relied on making short distance soft touches with the puck, leaving it an area which has been criticized for being “too cute” because the puck isn’t moving a great distance or at any velocity to pull apart the collapsed defense.

You look at bang bang power play goals and what you typically see are pucks being rifled across the ice at speed, rimmed around the perimeter, a lot of pitch and catch with a dynamic QB on the point. Lately the Leafs have looked a lot better in that regard. Ideally Marner continues to grow as a shooter so you can have two shooting options and Sandin can be brought along to take more of Morgan Rielly’s job on the PP1 unit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He has the most PP points on the team. Is that unacceptable too?
He also has the 5th highest PP P/60 among all forwards since he entered the league, so these comments about his PP play are hilarious. Pretty much entirely a result of people suffering from recency bias, after that tough stretch on the PP we came out of recently (which, some people forget, followed an insanely hot PP to start the year).

Reactions: Beyonder91

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Feschuk on LL “he’s having the best season in Leafs history”

Yes, but he can do so much more, just visit this think tank. :help:

Reactions: Muggs

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Marner is on pace for 9 more points than last year over 82 games.

It's amazing to me how many people hated Money-Mitch last year, and think he is great this year. There really isn't a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad