Mississippi Seawolves returning to ECHL based on trademark filings.

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
The Bring Back our Seawolves Facebook page posted about a press conference to happen on July 14th, and after some digging, me and some friends found that the ECHL has filed a trademark using the seemingly old Seawolves logo.

Was found by going to TESS ( Trademark Electronic Search Site), then typing in ECHL in the search bar, and changing the field to Owners and Address, will be the first result and its just a bunch of numbers for the name.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The ECHL owns the trademarks for all the member clubs. There may be a few exceptions. They'll keep up the registration because if a team in another league wanted to start up in Biloxi, there's value in that name.

There's no chance that hockey is coming back to Biloxi anytime soon. The home locker room was turned into a bar/lounge area for use during concerts. The visitor's locker room is tiny. No league (aside from the FHL, which has no standards) is going to put a team in a building without legitimate locker rooms.

Minor League Rando

Mar 13, 2021
The ECHL owns the trademarks for all the member clubs. There may be a few exceptions. They'll keep up the registration because if a team in another league wanted to start up in Biloxi, there's value in that name.

There's no chance that hockey is coming back to Biloxi anytime soon. The home locker room was turned into a bar/lounge area for use during concerts. The visitor's locker room is tiny. No league (aside from the FHL, which has no standards) is going to put a team in a building without legitimate locker rooms.
So your just going to ignore the press conference next month on the 14th?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
A search of TESS reveals that ECHL, Inc., a Virginia non-profit corporation, owns 281 different trademarks, including those of former teams in Greensboro, Fresno, Johnstown, Richmond, Toledo, Brampton, Augusta, Texas, Long Beach, Columbia, Elmira, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, plus the Central Hockey League.

Are all those teams coming back? What about the CHL?

You're reading way too much into a simple intellectual property filing.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
... how would this work (bear in mind, I haven't read the whole thread)?

They renovated Biloxi's arena, removing the hockey locker rooms, and the whole reason the Memphis/Mississippi (North) RiverKings folded was due to the arena in Southaven prioritizing Memphis Hustle G League games, forcing the team to accept less lucrative weekday games that wouldn't make as much money. Plus, AFAIK, rest of Mississip' is too dirt poor and/or stupid to just build another "prosperity givin'" arena for hockey.

I don't see where else they'll fit, unless the ECHL is taking a page from what Minor League Baseball does and plans on selling old team logos as merchandise for nostalgia purposes.

Reactions: wildcat48

IceFlyersRule

Palmtrees N' Pucks
Sep 15, 2011
Would ya look at that. The official ECHL store STILL SELLS SEAWOLVES JERSEYS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-165300_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-165300_Chrome.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: CrazyEddie20

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
As a former beat writer for an AHL team, I might impart some friendly advice.
1. Before you stick your neck out their with a definitive, make sure you have done your homework. Its fine that you went to the trademark system and did research, but you should have at least two confirmed sources that something is happening or not happening. Did you reach out to the ECHL? Did you contact the arena management? Did you contact the city of Biloxi? Maybe a potential owner? They all could have given an explanation one way or another as to the reason for the trademark renewal.

2. Attacking your readers is never a good way to cultivate readers. Everyone has an opinion. You may agree with it. You may disagree with it but to attack a reader in any fashion hurts you and it hurts your brand if you are trying to monetize it.

3. See #1 and #2... You only have character, integrity and reputation as a journalist. You are not selling widgets or gadgets. You are selling yourself to people. If you lose your reputation or integrity then you have nothing to sell or entice people with other than conjecture and sensationalism. That's not journalism. That's national enquirer tabloid material. There is nothing honorable about that, imo.

As for the the topic, I think its much ado about nothing as based on my past experience the league owns the trademark for all ECHL teams. They still own the trademark for the ECHL Alaska Aces when they moved to Portland and they purchased the rights to the Maine Mariners logo and name from Michael Liberty - before he went to prison for illegal campaign contribution - before settling on the Mariners name. The press conference could be about anything. We have nothing confirmed that its about new team. It could be they are looking for team, they are adding a NAHL team, SPHL team or it could be rec hockey going into the building. We simply do not know. It's ok to speculate as fans because they are not in a position to acquire that information like a journalist might be.

Just friendly advice from a former AHL beat writer.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But you aren't, at least not yet
We literally won't know what the deal is with Biloxi until July 14th.
Until then it's just speculation and unneeded attacks/arguing on both sides.

There will be some exhibition games sometime later this year, but there's no new team coming, at least not yet, and not in the ECHL.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Back to the topic, I believe this is going to be the mystery 12th SPHL team. That is what all the chatter that I have been hearing over the past year point to. The trademark is likely the ECHL protecting their asset from the new team coming to Biloxi. It is very coincidental that the announcement of the announcement and the trademark being registered happened within a day of each other, but I don't believe that makes the ECHL the prime target for the possible Biloxi team. Mississippi is no longer in the ECHL footprint. It would fit much better geographically in the SP. Obviously the Fed just puts teams wherever without traveling considerations so still could be the Fed, but I had heard their southern expansion was put off until 22-23.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So someone riddle me this: If this "mystery 12th SPHL team" (or any other existing hockey league's team) will be playing in the Mississippi Coast Coliseum (the location of the presumed press conference), when are the ice plant repairs/improvements solicited in January of this year scheduled to be completed? Simple details like that & the whole locker room/VIP lounge confusion could go a long way toward convincing skeptics to stick around until July 14th @ 3 PM. Especially if refreshments will be served.

And @Prospector Hockey, you shouldn't be surprised if you changing your username in the midst of a controversial thread brings greater scrutiny & skepticism to your posts here and elsewhere.
Tbf, I hardly used this account up until recently, but that is fair
I'm here to work on my reputation and gain trust
So someone riddle me this: If this "mystery 12th SPHL team" (or any other existing hockey league's team) will be playing in the Mississippi Coast Coliseum (the location of the presumed press conference), when are the ice plant repairs/improvements solicited in January of this year scheduled to be completed? Simple details like that & the whole locker room/VIP lounge confusion could go a long way toward convincing skeptics to stick around until July 14th @ 3 PM. Especially if refreshments will be served.
Also I am going to be asking around about this, because it has been confusing me as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->