Mississauga Steelheads Future Uncertain

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Demographics play a huge role and Missisauga is majority non white and just dont like hockey as much. The leafs factor is big too but you cant look past the fact the majority of the population arent hockey fans

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
It is a lot more then demographics, it is more to do with GTA sports snobbery in general. The TFC get radio talk often and of course the Leafs, then you consider how the Raptors and by extension the 905 are doing. With no radio, sparodic TV coverage, etc. leaves the Steelheads with a few layers of pro sports to break through.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Contract them and another team - there are enough to chose from.

Cull the weak and make the rest of the league stronger.

It seems that at this point, there just is no way for a team to be successful in the GTA so why keep trying to fit that square peg into the round hole.

Come at me.

Contraction would require the league owners to buy out the contracted teams and I doubt you will get that vote through. No owner will want to pony up $500k to make that happen.

That all means they would need to find an alternate location to move to.

I agree 100% that the GTA experiment should be over.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Erie is over an hour and a half away from Buffalo. Hardly their doorstep, and there aren't fans in Buffalo driving to Erie for hockey. There are many teams in much closer proximity to one another than that. Not only would Erie have no say in the matter, but they would absolutely welcome a team in Buffalo with open arms as it would add a nearby rival and travel partner. If anything, a successful Buffalo franchise would be boost for attendance in Erie as Buffalo fans might travel to watch their team on the road.

I can't see the Ice Dogs caring either. They let a team move into Hamilton which is actually closer than Buffalo and doesn't involve crossing a border. I can't imagine St. Catherine's has much attendance from Buffalo residents.

So really, Buffalo is a perfect location at least in terms of geography.

Agreed. Only negative is the Sabres. Would a junior team work there? Where would they play?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Cornwall is the “easiest” option. They have a rink that suits the standards of the OHL (5000 seats). 60,000 residents. No competition. The economy in Cornwall may be strong enough now to host a team again.

I compare it favourably to North Bay. It wouldn’t be a top half tier team financially but I doubt it would lose money.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Tarantula has made some very good point...

I live in Burlington and it is far less stressful and time consuming for me to go to Guelph for a game as opposed to Mississauga (even though it’s further). GTA traffic is arguably the worst in North America. Had the Hershey Centre been built in a more residential area, I wonder what positive effects that would have had on attendance.

The lack of media coverage is also very key. The OHL will always be viewed as second rate entertainment by those in the GTA unless there was a concerted effort to provide more thorough coverage by big media. Llike OMG said, the only way that happens is if there was a generational talent like a McDavid playing in Mississauga. Right now, the OHL, is viewed by many in the GTA roughly the same way Jr B or Jr A is viewed by those in current OHL markets.

However, in spite of the challenges listed above, I STILL find it hard to believe that within a population of millions, there can’t be 3,000 people prepared to attend an OHL game on a given night.

On a final note, Leaf fans are to blame as well. I remember arguing with a few of them several years ago about the merits of the OHL. The Leafs has TWO 1st round NHL draft picks playing locally (Stuart Percy in Mississauga and Tyler Biggs in Oshawa) and none of them could care less to put a little effort in to go watch them play in their own backyard lol. It amazes me that you could such a huge “fan” yet not give a damn about where your teams players actually come from.

One last thing I’d like to add: Mr. Kerr and the Steelhead marketing department ought to examine other successful big market CHL franchises to find out what they’re doing right. Quebec City, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland all have lots of other things going on yet fans still show up in droves for junior hockey games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

I live in Burlington and it is far less stressful and time consuming for me to go to Guelph for a game as opposed to Mississauga (even though it’s further). GTA traffic is arguably the worst in North America. Had the Hershey Centre been built in a more residential area, I wonder what positive effects that would have had on attendance.

The lack of media coverage is also very key. The OHL will always be viewed as second rate entertainment by those in the GTA unless there was a concerted effort to provide more thorough coverage by big media. Llike OMG said, the only way that happens is if there was a generational talent like a McDavid playing in Mississauga. Right now, the OHL, is viewed by many in the GTA roughly the same way Jr B or Jr A is viewed by those in current OHL markets.

However, in spite of the challenges listed above, I STILL find it hard to believe that within a population of millions, there can’t be 3,000 people prepared to attend an OHL game on a given night.

On a final note, Leaf fans are to blame as well. I remember arguing with a few of them several years ago about the merits of the OHL. The Leafs has TWO 1st round NHL draft picks playing locally (Stuart Percy in Mississauga and Tyler Biggs in Oshawa) and none of them could care less to put a little effort in to go watch them play in their own backyard lol. It amazes me that you could such a huge “fan” yet not give a damn about where your teams players actually come from.

One last thing I’d like to add: Mr. Kerr and the Steelhead marketing department ought to examine other successful big market CHL franchises to find out what they’re doing right. Quebec City, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland all have lots of other things going on yet fans still show up in droves for junior hockey games.

Many salient points, traffic here is actually amongst the worst in NA. Toronto has the snobbiest sports fans as well, so many just don't or won't consider the O.

I have mixed feelings about Mr. Kerr, he should get some credit for stepping up when the Majors franchise was "retired" and the Trout were born in their wake, but there could be more done to raise their profile around the Missy area.

It is the same situation the Battalion had in Brampton. Almost identical issues, location, media and traffic.

I believe there are more then enough potential fans to support the Steelheads, despite the problems here, but they have to get them here to begin with. The team will never make $ like the top franchises, but could be sustainable, problem is getting them in the door to begin with. I went on a whim to games last year, and became a regular then a STH. With some more visibility they might be able to tap more support.

Also this is about negotiation with the city of Mississauga. Who knows how much desire there is in city council to support the team or how favourable the lease is, Hamilton is also having municipal government issues with a suitable arena there, city politics can come into play as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

As a side note to traffic, what about simple lack of free time on behalf of those in the bedroom communities?

For example, I have a friend that lives in Pickering and works in Mississauga. His kid plays hockey. He has no time for anything.

In a smaller community where you work and live in the same, the families have more time. Work until 4pm and home by 4:30! For many in the GTA, work until 4PM, home at 6pm! That pretty much eliminates weeknights to do very much after you shovel food down your throat. Weekends then become time to get your stuff done because you don’t have time to do it during the week.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Of course Trout fans are not happy about these negotiations dragging with the city, but I feel for Hamilton, what a long history of The Forum, Mountain arena, then a colossal arena, none of which are suited for the O. Hamilton would be one of the stronger franchises if the had a proper arena. Any word regarding the Hammer?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Of course Trout fans are not happy about these negotiations dragging with the city, but I feel for Hamilton, what a long history of The Forum, Mountain arena, then a colossal arena, none of which are suited for the O. Hamilton would be one of the stronger franchises if the had a proper arena. Any word regarding the Hammer?

There is no doubt that Hamilton is a 2nd tier city and with a 2nd tier arena, they would do exceptionally well. As you mentioned, the problem is they have a 1st tier and 4th tier area. You can get away with a 3rd tier arena like the Bayshore but you cannot have what Hamilton has and offer the full game experience.

That being said, I was at the Copps last year for a 67’s game and enjoyed myself immensely. If they can bottle that experience in a 6000 seat plus luxury box set up, they will catch lightning in a bottle for sure.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I don't think traffic can be understated. Don't people show well for Tigercats games?

If I was a prospective owner, i'd think about putting an arena in downtown Hamilton, Burlington or Oakville. I think it could work.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
There is no doubt that Hamilton is a 2nd tier city and with a 2nd tier arena, they would do exceptionally well. As you mentioned, the problem is they have a 1st tier and 4th tier area. You can get away with a 3rd tier arena like the Bayshore but you cannot have what Hamilton has and offer the full game experience.

That being said, I was at the Copps last year for a 67’s game and enjoyed myself immensely. If they can bottle that experience in a 6000 seat plus luxury box set up, they will catch lightning in a bottle for sure.

Like they have in St. Catharines--look how well they're supported there since the move to the Meridian Centre. If Hamilton had something like that, they'd be a sustainable team and a superpower in the OHL.

Unfortunately, the city continues to drag its feet--unlike in 2013, it is not a guarantee Michael Andlauer will agree to another 3-5 year lease again, especially with arena plans still dragging along and Global Spectrum's deal to operate FirstOntario Centre expiring at the end of the year, and the arena needing major renovations.

Reactions: three dog night

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So my cousin is a Bulldog season ticket holder and he has been told by someone that works for the Bulldogs that they’re currently looking at a location on Upper Wentworth as well as around Burlington Mall (which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me). My guess is that a new arena will be coming to Hamilton sooner rather later. Hopefully it is all done right.

Edit: probably the wrong thread for this, sorry

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
So my cousin is a Bulldog season ticket holder and he has been told by someone that works for the Bulldogs that they’re currently looking at a location on Upper Wentworth as well as around Burlington Mall (which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me). My guess is that a new arena will be coming to Hamilton sooner rather later. Hopefully it is all done right.

Edit: probably the wrong thread for this, sorry

Hopefully this is true--because Andlauer cannot wait forever. He's already offered to split costs--it's up to the city to wake up and help. Bulldogs need a smaller arena (8000-10000 seats), because the current one is expensive and unsuitable for the OHL.

Meanwhile, back on topic--hopefully something happens regarding the Steelheads lease soon.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good news for the Hammer, and pardon me for the thread twist. Feel free to start a new thread with any news, I would be interested.

Hoping things can be worked out here in Missy for a few years at least. EK is negotiating with the city, the Hersh isn't private like the Powerade in Brampton, and we all know how municipal council muddies things up, so hoping a reasonable deal happens.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Looks like Brantford is one of the three Ontario communities expressing interest in buying the team.

This is from the bottom of this article from the Brantford Expositor. 'Character' key for 99ers

With the fate of the OHL's Mississauga Steelheads a hot topic of conversation, DeDobbelaer confirmed he has had contact with the team's owner, Elliott Kerr. According to published reports, Kerr's lease is up after next season and, if he can't negotiate better terms, he has stated that he'll move the team or sell it. "I've contacted the owner," DeDobbelaer said. "I reached out to Mississauga and I reached out to them before it went public . . . I have my foot in the water. Whether anything comes from it or not, I don't know."

Brantford would be an interesting market for the league, but maybe a little too close to Hamilton?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like Brantford is one of the three Ontario communities expressing interest in buying the team.

This is from the bottom of this article from the Brantford Expositor. 'Character' key for 99ers

With the fate of the OHL's Mississauga Steelheads a hot topic of conversation, DeDobbelaer confirmed he has had contact with the team's owner, Elliott Kerr. According to published reports, Kerr's lease is up after next season and, if he can't negotiate better terms, he has stated that he'll move the team or sell it. "I've contacted the owner," DeDobbelaer said. "I reached out to Mississauga and I reached out to them before it went public . . . I have my foot in the water. Whether anything comes from it or not, I don't know."

Brantford would be an interesting market for the league, but maybe a little too close to Hamilton?
Our old Flint Bulldogs use to play the Brantford Smoke in the semi-pro Colonial Hockey League in the early 90’s and have been their many times. Brantford has just 2,981 seats, about the same size as Owen Sound in seats. That could be a problem. The league wants a minimum of 4,000 seats I believe. What would be a problem is the rink size of 190 x 85.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Our old Flint Bulldogs use to play the Brantford Smoke in the semi-pro Colonial Hockey League in the early 90’s and have been their many times. Brantford has just 2,981 seats, about the same size as Owen Sound in seats. That could be a problem. The league wants a minimum of 4,000 seats I believe. What would be a problem is the rink size of 190 x 85.

I'm no engineer, but I have caught a few Blast games in the Civic Centre, and it seems like there's space to add seats and enough room to expand the ice into the walkway that currently separates the boards from the seating. The league may rant them temporary exceptions in the event that the Steelheads really need somewhere to go.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm no engineer, but I have caught a few Blast games in the Civic Centre, and it seems like there's space to add seats and enough room to expand the ice into the walkway that currently separates the boards from the seating. The league may rant them temporary exceptions in the event that the Steelheads really need somewhere to go.

Expanding an ice surface would probably require an entirely new ice making unit. I am not sure if yo can simply just tack on surface area. That would easily be in the 7 figures I would think. If they added seats, it would probably have to be in Private boxes. That can also be difficult unless the roof can come off.

So, if the ice surface needed expansion and the roof would need to come off, it may be easier and more cost effective in the long run to build a new rink or multi-surface complex.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Expanding an ice surface would probably require an entirely new ice making unit. I am not sure if yo can simply just tack on surface area. That would easily be in the 7 figures I would think. If they added seats, it would probably have to be in Private boxes. That can also be difficult unless the roof can come off.

So, if the ice surface needed expansion and the roof would need to come off, it may be easier and more cost effective in the long run to build a new rink or multi-surface complex.

As far as ice surface goes, 190 x 85 is just fine. That's the size of the ice surface at the Aud in Kitchener.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don't think traffic can be understated. Don't people show well for Tigercats games?

If I was a prospective owner, i'd think about putting an arena in downtown Hamilton, Burlington or Oakville. I think it could work.

Sooooooo Milton? Not sure where in Burlington or Oakville you would put an arena without going North.

The post about putting an arena around the Burlington Mall makes no sense at all, it's all built up, I don't see anything in the area getting torn down.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
If they added seats, it would probably have to be in Private boxes. That can also be difficult unless the roof can come off.

As I already stated:

it seems like there's space to add seats

There seems to be space for boxes and/or seats near the top. The roof is much higher than the current seating bowl. And if indeed the ice surface is allowed like in Kitchener, that leaves those same walkways open for another 3 or 4 rows of seating the whole way around.

Again, I'm no engineer. But again, like I already said, if the league is in a pinch, they'll make temporary exceptions. So if nothing else, the Civic Centre can make a temporary home as is while they assess upgrades or a new arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad