Mississauga Steelheads Future Uncertain

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Yikes!

Cornwall and Buffalo would be the faves for relocation if the Steelheads (and possibly even the Bulldogs, as the lease is also expiring at FirstOntario Centre and the city and Andlauer are at a standstill on a new arena, new lease or significant renos to FirstOntario), with Brantford also in the mix. Belleville of course is not in the mix, as they're locked into a 8-year lease with the Ottawa Senators for their AHL affiliate.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
That would be a damn shame if they move.

I’ve never understood how, in a city of 800,000+, there can’t be 3,000 people on a given night that want to catch great hockey at a nice facility and for a reasonable price.

If you lived here you would have a better idea. Missy for all intents and purposes is part of Toronto. The Steelheads never get the attention or notice say the Rangers, Knights, Spits, etc. get in their hometown, as that kind of coverage goes to the Leafs, Jays, Raps. The CFL is a dead topic up here as well if brought up on radio, yet Hamilton has TiCat and Bulldog talk shows on their station. News coverage is non existent, and the location of the arena also keeps them out of sight for the average person in Mississauga. Also many of the 800,000 that live here are not hockey fans that would go out of their way to watch junior, Leaf tickets would be another story. For some people it would be a long drive to get to east Missy for a game, especially if you had to go get the kids from home. Driving here can be unreal, I often have drove over a hour to go 16 km from my office to home. Lot of factors here to overcome, smaller stand alone cities don't have these issues, they are usually the big game in town.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They definitely should be getting more fans out to the games, especially after the Battalion left Brampton but it's tough when you don't get any media coverage. No radio, barely any newspaper coverage and the team didn't even have TV broadcasts for many home games this season. Not acceptable for any OHL team, let alone one that is struggling to attract fans

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
The old saying is that a winning record is the best marketing plan of all, but that doesn't seem to apply in this case. Steelheads are a very entertaining team despite some early struggles. Their speed and finesse plays would be welcome in a smaller city where they would be the big story in town but they are not on the radar of many people in the GTA.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
For example I listen to the Hamilton pre game show on the radio while driving to the Hershey Centre since there is NO coverage of the team at all. There are a lot of people who have not heard of the Steelheads or know of OHL hockey. I often considered the NFL competition as well here in the GTA. I used to have Sunday Ticket, no way would I have went to a Sunday afternoon game at 2pm during those days. Most sports fans I know here are also big NFL poolers or Fantasy players.

Your casual Leaf fan watches the Leafs when they are wining, doesn't watch other teams play, just as the casual Jays fan returns when they win, and probably quite a few couldn't name every MLB team.

They are here for next year at least while trying to hammer out a longer deal, E Kerr seems to be holding out for the City of Mississauga to help along the development at the arena, and some other improvements. City council had been told last meeting that 2 groups were interested in developing in that area, but it would be a few years before anything would be finished, red tape and all, at best.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If you lived here you would have a better idea. Missy for all intents and purposes is part of Toronto. The Steelheads never get the attention or notice say the Rangers, Knights, Spits, etc. get in their hometown, as that kind of coverage goes to the Leafs, Jays, Raps. The CFL is a dead topic up here as well if brought up on radio, yet Hamilton has TiCat and Bulldog talk shows on their station. News coverage is non existent, and the location of the arena also keeps them out of sight for the average person in Mississauga. Also many of the 800,000 that live here are not hockey fans that would go out of their way to watch junior, Leaf tickets would be another story. For some people it would be a long drive to get to east Missy for a game, especially if you had to go get the kids from home. Driving here can be unreal, I often have drove over a hour to go 16 km from my office to home. Lot of factors here to overcome, smaller stand alone cities don't have these issues, they are usually the big game in town.
That’s odd that you say they don’t get any attention. I’m assuming you mean media attention/notice. Like them being the talk of the town?
Erie as an American city with a population of around 100,000 doesn’t get much either. McDavid could have gone to dinner and movie and 90% of people never would have noticed him or known who he was. It’s football and basketball around here. And high school sports are huge in this region. Some big cities nearby, within 1-3 hours, means professional teams and big universities. So college football huge. Erie doesn’t get much attention. Trust me they dont. I would imagine their media coverage or notice level is average at best compared to Canadian teams. Hell there is a chance it’s much worse.. yet Erie in a rebuild year still managed 3700 a game (11th in the league)

I don’t get it with Mississauga. It’s still a big hockey area and big populated area. You would think more people would go and it’s a dang shame. It’s why I have always said that Erie’s owners has no business getting greedy and wanting to relocate. It’s a risk. You probably are never going to be London/Kitchener with consistent fans but Erie had similar attendance this year (about 100-300 fans off per game) to Guelph/SSM. Both Teams with arenas capable of filling more.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good point OttersGuy, I have respected the attendance the US cities get, I know the Otters faithful traveled well during last years final.

There is no media coverage and there are two cable tv sports and adjoining am stations doing sports. The list of teams to cover is filled with the 3 pro teams here. Mississauga may have it's own council but it is basically a suburb of Toronto. The AHL team, Marlies get more attention media wise due to their affiliation with the parent leafs. Most sport fans just really aren't aware of the quality of hockey, many probably look past the O as the Leafs and Marlies are there. Not to mention the NBA, I hear more NBA talk in the GTA as I work in clients offices, I believe the Raptors and their G team is more broadly popular then even the Leafs. The O just gets squeezed here in many ways, and then many won't consider it as good as it is.

Having said that...
Other teams are having lower attendance, not many mind you, but it isn't like the Steelheads are woefully last. There is one more arena issue that I know of, Hamilton, who really deserves a top flight junior arena, so there is some positioning here (consider the timing) to possibly soften some terms on a lease, short term.

We know they are here next year, so see how things go.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Never had the right people in place either.

Look at their marketing team. Yes they have a good relationship with the Minor Hockey programs.

I was at a townhall meeting when I was a season ticket holder and asked the owner and presidents why is there no marketing around the city?

Brought up that you can't walk around kitchener with out seeing rangers ads, At grocery stores, schools, every arena, at bus stops, etc.

The answer I got was, we believe in building relationships and not that stuff. 2 idiot fans applauded that answer and I thought to myself, this is why you wont make any money. Such a piss poor answer.

I had tickets for 34 games and I couldn't even give them away for free. Alot of People in Mississauga have no idea that team exists.

Hockey can work in Mississauga. Hockey as a business will not. Even with a new owner, Unless his pockets are sooooo deep, then the OHL in Mississauga will be questioned every 2 years. Which sucks. That arena is too nice to sit empty.

Enjoy your team while you can Trout fans and hope for an Owen Sound like Miracle.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yikes!

Cornwall and Buffalo would be the faves for relocation if the Steelheads (and possibly even the Bulldogs, as the lease is also expiring at FirstOntario Centre and the city and Andlauer are at a standstill on a new arena, new lease or significant renos to FirstOntario), with Brantford also in the mix. Belleville of course is not in the mix, as they're locked into a 8-year lease with the Ottawa Senators for their AHL affiliate.

I can't see Buffalo being on the table due to the fact that the Erie Otters would be on there doorstep and would have ultimate say on wether they would want a team in close proximity along with St.Cathrines on the northern side of the border would have the same decision.

With few marketable cities that could sustain an OHL franchise. Cornwall would be the really the only spot on the map that has yet to be tried again any other location would be either too close to other markets that already exist in the league unless someone steps in and purchase the Steelheads and renegotiate a lease with the city of Mississauga which is also still a potential outcome that is yet to present itself at this point.

If Cornwall was to return to the league the divisions would certainly have to be re-drawn and improvements would be taken at the Ed Lumley Arena or a new facility would in fact be constructed to league standards once again.

The more likely approach would be another repurchase of the Steelheads and potential renaming of the club along with reagreement with the Hershey Centre on Rose Cherry Place

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Interesting for sure. Isn't there a deadline to apply for relocation? I thought it was December, and they extended it for the Belleville situation.. but the longer this goes I would believe the more difficult it would be for relocation to happen this season.

They're going to be in Mississauga for at least next season, it's after that where they'll either reach a new lease agreement or relocate

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
I can't see Buffalo being on the table due to the fact that the Erie Otters would be on there doorstep and would have ultimate say on wether they would want a team in close proximity along with St.Cathrines on the northern side of the border would have the same decision.

With few marketable cities that could sustain an OHL franchise. Cornwall would be the really the only spot on the map that has yet to be tried again any other location would be either too close to other markets that already exist in the league unless someone steps in and purchase the Steelheads and renegotiate a lease with the city of Mississauga which is also still a potential outcome that is yet to present itself at this point.

If Cornwall was to return to the league the divisions would certainly have to be re-drawn and improvements would be taken at the Ed Lumley Arena or a new facility would in fact be constructed to league standards once again.

The more likely approach would be another repurchase of the Steelheads and potential renaming of the club along with reagreement with the Hershey Centre on Rose Cherry Place

I think this is also a reason why the OHL is struggling in Mississauga. The casual hockey fans who I've talked too still think the team at the Hershey Centre is known as the Ice Dogs.

The relocation of the Major's to Mississauga, and then the switch to Steelheads when Kerr took over has left a disconnect between the team and community. If the team would market itself better, and work with the city to develop the land around the arena, this team might have a chance. But the clock is ticking, and if things stay the way they are then the moving trucks are going to be brought in soon.

If they move, Cornwall must be near the top for possible destinations. Would fit nicely with the East Division and then Hamilton can switch to the Central.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Too early to speculate about moving, Kerr is trying to get a more favourable lease with some Easter eggs. The Trout are here for next year, wouldn’t be surprised to see a short term deal made with the proviso of development around the arena.

I think Kerr would sell before moving, he is a Mississauga guy more then a OHL guy, Hazel approached him directly about buying the team.

I could see the team moving, but I believe it would be a new owner and a few years down the road if and when.

See how all the cards get played out, Hamilton is also dickering about a arena as well, which if built would be supported.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think this is also a reason why the OHL is struggling in Mississauga. The casual hockey fans who I've talked too still think the team at the Hershey Centre is known as the Ice Dogs.

The relocation of the Major's to Mississauga, and then the switch to Steelheads when Kerr took over has left a disconnect between the team and community. If the team would market itself better, and work with the city to develop the land around the arena, this team might have a chance. But the clock is ticking, and if things stay the way they are then the moving trucks are going to be brought in soon.

If they move, Cornwall must be near the top for possible destinations. Would fit nicely with the East Division and then Hamilton can switch to the Central.

FUT, that will very much something that will be considered I'd think in the future of where the Steelheads move to if they do. Not to also count that the league has always been keen on a place like Cornwall to put a team back there I know as an Attack fan in 2000 there was a big interest in Cornwall and then when the Bulls moved a few seasons ago once again the city of Cornwll was brought up as possible destination to relocate too.

I due agree with your point that I don't think Hamilton is in the right division on the map due to the fairly close proimity to St.Cathrines and a bit of a disconnect to what sits now as there divisional rivals in Kingston and Peterborough along with Ottawa.

The only flaw that would present itself is that it would be safe to say that the league would certainly push the City of Cornwall to either do massive renovations or force the city to tear down the Ed Lumley Arena and build a brand new complex which I can't see happening any time soon due to the fact that it would mean the league would have to admit failure that major junior hockey in the GTA didn't work and the league still would want some form of OHL presence there in some way although looking back at where some of the OHL franchises ended up in recent years with the addition to the league with Flint and returning OHL hockey to former markets seems to be seen more often

Belleville moved back to Hamilton

Brampton moved back to North Bay

Mississauga moved back to St. Catherine's

So it is still possible for the league to move a team like the Steelheads back to a city like Cornwall if indeed that was to be the next stop on the relocation pyramd of teams

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mississauga will always be a tough sell. The only thing that could potentially make a difference is them acquiring a generational player that the Toronto media would hype. For example, if Connor McDavid played there, the Toronto media would have been all over it and people would have come out in droves.

Guys like Mickey McLeod aren’t a big enough name.

Barring that, it is tough to market a team in Mississauga because you are paying big media prices compared to other cities. No one listens to “Mississauga Radio” for example. They listen to Toronto Radio. So, you cannot advertise to target people in Mississauga. Same goes for newspapers. So traditional advertising wouldn’t work.

Someone mentioned posters in stores etc. Not much of the community is willing to use available wall/window space to advertise for the team like they are in smaller centres.

This all comes back to my original point. If the Steelheads are unable to generate a buzz through the Greater Toronto media, they simply won’t get any coverage.

Out of sight, out of mind. Even when Don Cherry had the team and was pumping them they didn’t do much.

The best thing to do is simply get them out of Mississauga. I like the Cornwall idea. Switch divisions with Hamilton. Even if Cornwall is somewhat depressed, at least they would generate 2500 on a bad night. It would increase travel expenses though, so I don’t know how much further ahead they will be.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm actually surprised they've lasted this long. The concept and potential are great, but there is so much working against them.

That said - question for GTA residents - if the arena had been on Hurontario, would that have made any difference? It's on the 403, which gives it good visibility, but there's no easy access to the arena from there. If it's on Hurontario, you're looking at thousands of cars a day that see it AND can access it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Contract them and another team - there are enough to chose from.

Cull the weak and make the rest of the league stronger.

It seems that at this point, there just is no way for a team to be successful in the GTA so why keep trying to fit that square peg into the round hole.

Come at me.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Erie is over an hour and a half away from Buffalo. Hardly their doorstep, and there aren't fans in Buffalo driving to Erie for hockey. There are many teams in much closer proximity to one another than that. Not only would Erie have no say in the matter, but they would absolutely welcome a team in Buffalo with open arms as it would add a nearby rival and travel partner. If anything, a successful Buffalo franchise would be boost for attendance in Erie as Buffalo fans might travel to watch their team on the road.

I can't see the Ice Dogs caring either. They let a team move into Hamilton which is actually closer than Buffalo and doesn't involve crossing a border. I can't imagine St. Catherine's has much attendance from Buffalo residents.

So really, Buffalo is a perfect location at least in terms of geography.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
I would concur with much of what Tarantula has stated above about why being in the GTA is actually a detriment to attendance for Junior League Hockey. If a team were to move to Greater Buffalo Area (GBA), I see the same problem of minimal media awareness repeating itself, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad